PDA

View Full Version : Car for bike exchange?

SEA_poseur_n_PDX
05-30-2007, 07:28 AM
Last night, a passing acquaintance suggested a local program (city, county, trimet) wherein cars could be donated in return for a several hundred dollar 'credit' at a local bike store.

I've done some googling, but have been unable to find any information about such a plan. This, and the plain fact that it sounds too good to be true, makes me think that this is just urban myth. Still, it does warrant a shout-out.

We have an ugly truck, that's worth a few hundred dollars. I'd like it to go away and my girl and I would both like new bikes. Has anyone heard anything about this mysterious plan?

Attornatus_Oregonensis
05-30-2007, 08:34 AM
I have not heard about any such plan. But why do you even need a middle-man (so to speak)?

SEA_poseur_n_PDX
05-30-2007, 09:47 AM
I should admit that I've posted this question on behalf of my next-door neighbor. His girlfriend has an old pick-up truck that's occupied the same spot on his curb for the better part of the last year. He's pretty keen to both: 1) once and for all get rid of the truck, and 2) use the money to buy a couple of bikes. But having just watched me go through 6 months of pain selling my truck (to buy a Bakfiets), I think he's wary of doing the whole Craigslist/Kelly Blue Book/AutoTrader dance that I just did. Can't say I blame him really. If I'd had the same option (trading in the car for the bike) I'd probably have jumped at the chance.

BTW - Attornatus_Oregonensis your " hemorraging customers faster than a sweatshop makes cheap crap" comment over on the Portland Cyclewear thread is about the funniest thing I've ever read in a forum. I don't remember the last time I laughed that hard at work. Thanks for the laugh.

Attornatus_Oregonensis
05-30-2007, 10:56 AM
Oh, I see, the middle-man relieves one of having to go through all the stuff involved with selling the truck. Yeah, that's worth avoiding. I'm sure that's why the various folks who take donated cars for tax deductions do so well; just drop it off, get your tax receipt, and forget it.

And re the sweatshop comment, I'm glad you liked it. I wanted to dispel the myth that people who care about the environment, human rights, and respect for other people don't have a sense of humor. Stupidity is almost always funny!