PDA

View Full Version : Steel Bridge

hydrogeek
05-25-2007, 08:43 AM
I am riding to the northeast side next week for a couple of meetings. Looks like the most direct route is over the Steel Bridge. Can anyone tell me if the Steel Bridge is rideable? I rode over it during the Bridge Pedal last year but I think they had plywood down over the grates.

Thanks.

bikieboy
05-25-2007, 09:23 AM
hydro-g, i've ridden the deck a few times & can't recall any problems with the surface - impatient drivers are another thing, tho, as there's no room to chage lanes/pass on the bridge structure. i usually ride the (narrow) sidewalk, which is fine unless you have to pass a pedestrian.

lynnef
05-25-2007, 10:16 AM
The lower bicycle/pedestrian deck is quite rideable. It drops you onto the Esplanade; you can switchback up to the road surface.

hydrogeek
05-25-2007, 01:39 PM
Thanks everyone for your help. The lower deck option sounds like the right choice.

dawndol
05-31-2007, 09:26 AM
Also, if you would normally ride the esplanade from south of Main towards the north, the nice new bike lanes on Naito are a great alternative to the madness on the esplanade itself. You can ride north to the Japanese internment memorial, and then hop back on the esplanade to take the lower deck of the Steel Bridge over to NE.

Have a safe ride!