PDA

View Full Version : Bike Purchase Advice

Jakelin
05-24-2007, 12:19 PM
It's not that the bike that was given to me is 20 years old....it's that 20 years ago it was a cheap bike. Even after her tune up, after taking her out for a 12 mile ride today, it is painfully obvious that I am going to need a different bike if I am going to be commuting 30 miles round trip four days a week.

My problem is that I don't know much about bikes (other than I like to ride them) and there is so much stuff on the internet that I don't even know where to start. I am hoping people here can suggest some makes / models for me to look at and a good reputable shop to start looking at.

I need a bike that is suited for all weather. I'll be riding from Oregon City to PSU, all road and bike paths basically. I'll need to be able to throw a rack on the back to strap my backpack to. I'm hoping to keep the price between $300-500 and I totally don't mind buying used if I am getting a better bike for my money.

If you have any suggestions on what bikes you think are good that would fit the bill I'd love to hear them!

Jakelin
05-25-2007, 08:10 AM
Does anyone have any experience or opinions with the Bianchi Bergamo or the Giant FCR 3?

bikieboy
05-25-2007, 09:19 AM
Jakelin, this may not fit your timeline for acquiring a bike but:
-------------------------------
June 13 / Buying a New or Used Bike (class)

Wednesday, June 13, 6:30 pm
** held at Seven Corners Cycles **
3218 SE 21st (just north of Powell)

Thinking about a new ride, but mystified by the myriad choices available? Join bike maven extraordinaire Corey Cartwright for some tips of what to look for in a bike, & how to identify what type of bike meets your cycling needs.
---------------------------------
Corey's a fantastic & fun presenter, no high or low pressure sales pitch at this Portland By Cycle class (brought to you by City of Portland Transportation Options).

Jakelin
05-25-2007, 05:12 PM
Thanks for the suggestion Bikieboy. I actually went to the commuting class that the Portland By Cycle group put on and it was really good. Unfortunately I was hoping to have a bike before then as I will be starting my commute the Monday after that class is held. I decided nothing beats putting my butt in a bunch of seats so to speak so I have been going around trying out bikes in my price range. I really liked the Giant FCR 3....

If I don't have things figured out by the time the class comes up though, I am there for sure. Actually regardless of if I have a bike by then it would probably be good for me to go.

Thanks again for the suggestion!

fetishridr
05-26-2007, 12:21 PM
i feel for you, but spending 300 on a new bike is a waste of money. it will be a complete piece of crap. riding on a bike that retails for less than 800 is an exercise in patience for me because the bike shifts and handles like it was constructed out of crap instead of bicycle parts.

cruise craigslist/ebay and you can find older mt bikes and road bikes that are still in good shape.
you will get WAY more bang for your buck buying used. By the time you buy fenders/lights/two freaking locks to park at PSU/ and raingear, you'll be spending 5-6 hundo easy. all of the extra crap costs 100 minimum. and if you're commuting from the OC to PSU i'd recommend cycling shoes/clipless pedal, as they'll make the commute faster and you a better rider.

get sized at a shop for both road and mt bikes, that way you'll know what to look for. try to buy something too so you dont abuse the shop.

If you do buy new, try single speed, its far cheaper and easier to maintain (Lighter too). the Redline 9-2-5 is such a bike.

mizake
05-26-2007, 02:42 PM
If you want a badass single-speed commuter, talk to Dean at Bike Central. He'll build you something nice.

bosworth
05-26-2007, 04:34 PM
The Community Cycling Center builds up real nice commuter packages - often for around $400. They come with fenders and racks and lights - the works.

http://www.communitycyclingcenter.org/

Jakelin
05-27-2007, 08:01 AM
Thank you everyone for your suggestions and tips. That was exactly the kind of help I was looking for.

ong
05-27-2007, 10:25 AM
I'd agree that it's difficult to find a new bike in that price range that's actually meant to be ridden regularly... which is a real shame, of course. You can, however, find some really excellent used road or mountain bikes at that price point, especially if you're not worried about getting something that's currently trendy or cultish, like a fixie, Bridgestone, lugged steel frame, etc. I recently bought a fantastic 22 lb. steel Voodoo mountain bike on eBay to be my "daily driver" -- it was all 1999 XTR components, Mavic wheels, Chris King headset -- and it set me back $375. Fenders and a rack will only add about $50 to your total.

nepdxer
06-10-2007, 10:04 PM
Citybikes has KHS bikes from $300-$500. They are aluminum frames, decent components, fenders, racks. Very decent bikes. My wife bought one last month and has been very happy with it so far.

bonny790
06-22-2007, 05:44 PM
As soon as you could afford it, I'd also recommend ditching the backpack bungied to the rack. I did that for a couple of terms, RPITA! I finally purchased some Ortliebs, I'll never go back! They keep the weight low (big difference in handling) , are easy as all get out to remove and reinstall. I'm not pushing Ortliebs, because there are lots of brands that make very good bags, but get some luggage that's designed for that purpose and it make the riding experience much more enjoyable, IMHO;-)
Toby

Duncan
06-27-2007, 12:27 PM
i have a jamis coda from citibikes. I like it, it was around 500 I think.

lazlo
06-29-2007, 11:08 AM
Duncan, how long have you had your Jamis? I'm looking for a new bike and am leaning toward a Jamis, but haven't settled on which model. I was in City Bikes yesterday, but have never dealt with them before. Any feedback would be appreciated.

Duncan
06-29-2007, 12:12 PM
I really like mine for city riding- say under 30miles. I have flat bars and added antelope handles to the sides. Mine puts me in an upright postion with excellent visability- the gearing is good and the layout ergonomic (ie shifters are in a comfortable place for my hands)

I dont like the seat, it hurts my taint, but other than that...

fetishridr
06-29-2007, 06:19 PM
i thought only women had taints. i believe the proper terminology is "choad"
cheap bikes have cheap seats.
try a WTB rocket V - it has a groove for the boys and the seat is padded well, so no need for a chamois, although it doesnt hurt to wear one. i've ridden on a rocket V for two years now on my fixie, and it is plenty comfortable. for the ladies i'd recommend the WTB speed V, a little wider, just as padded, can go w/ or w/out chamois.

Jakelin
06-29-2007, 09:09 PM
try a WTB rocket V - it has a groove for the boys and the seat is padded well, so no need for a chamois, although it doesnt hurt to wear one. i've ridden on a rocket V for two years now on my fixie, and it is plenty comfortable. for the ladies i'd recommend the WTB speed V, a little wider, just as padded, can go w/ or w/out chamois.

Not that being in rock bands for a decade makes me an expert, but I have only heard of men having taints. I do believe that it is the same area as choad references though.

fetishridr
06-29-2007, 10:08 PM
taint- it aint _______(willow)and it aint ______(hole).
but anyway, check out that seat i mentioned. its relatively cheap and really nice on that "area".

Starkmojo
07-01-2007, 09:02 AM

I dont know about that- i had to replace the seat on my cannondale roadbike and it wasnt cheep- not to me any way 1500$ (ouch!). I think it has more to do with fit.

Joe Planner
07-01-2007, 06:34 PM
I just bought a new Marin Larkspur for about $420, plus accessories. All together, it was just under $500. I liked the ride more than some of the more expensive bikes available at the store. I went to Revolver on N. Interstate and liked their service and price, so if someone's in the market for something new, might want to check it out. Not a huge selection there, but it seems like they chose their stock pretty well.

jwdoom
07-02-2007, 09:22 PM
I just bought a new Marin Larkspur for about $420, plus accessories. All together, it was just under $500. I liked the ride more than some of the more expensive bikes available at the store. I went to Revolver on N. Interstate and liked their service and price, so if someone's in the market for something new, might want to check it out. Not a huge selection there, but it seems like they chose their stock pretty well.

I love my Larkspur. I bought mine at 7 Corners and I think it came out to about the same.

Duncan
07-08-2007, 08:42 AM
I liked the ride more than some of the more expensive bikes available at the store.

I felt the same way about my cannondale.. tried some bikes costing signifigantly (ie two grand) more and came away feeling like the cannondale was the bike for me.

Finding the right bike is like finding the right house. YOu know it when you see it.