PDA

View Full Version : throwing water bottles

Bjorn
05-22-2007, 11:46 PM
hey, I am sure that a lot of us remember the radio station asking people to throw water bottles at cyclists. I thought I was going to see someone get hit today. I was driving west on sandy around 30th in my car. The vehicle in front of me was a black 300 series bmw license plate 310 CNK. I saw the guy in the passenger seat (caucasian big sunglasses, backwards ny yankees hat) take a couple of practice throws at a cyclist but not toss the bottle, then shortly after passing the cyclist he littered the bottle to the ground. I figure it fits in close calls since he didn't toss it at the bike but he obviously was thinking about it. The driver/passenger looked pretty young and were going at it at the light so hopefully they were borrowing mom or dads car and someone on the forum will be able to bring it up with the parents.

littering sucks, and I probably should have followed them and called it in but I was on my way somewhere...

Bjorn

marco452
06-09-2007, 12:39 PM
I ask this half-jokingly - and half-seriously. The person who threw the bottle out the window was in a beamer. It seems like they are a disproportionate fraction of the people that drive like ---holes out Cornell etc. Perhaps they are also a disproportionate fraction of the cars out in yuppiedom.
Well, I hope I didn't waste too many Bike Forum electrons ;)

nm973
06-18-2007, 09:52 AM
I ride out a lot in the west hills and out by Bald Peak and Hagg lake. The ones I have the most problems with are big ol' trucks, usually with oversized tires and a loud exhaust. the second problem is cars that a teenage male can afford. I honestly can not remember a BMW causing me a problem. The makes that I remember are, in most problematic to least: Ford, Oldsmobile, 1980's anything with a teenage male and minivans.
Of course this may be because I ride out on the farm roads where there is a higher percentage of jacked up Fords?

cecilanne
07-13-2007, 12:39 PM
I ask this half-jokingly - and half-seriously. The person who threw the bottle out the window was in a beamer. It seems like they are a disproportionate fraction of the people that drive like ---holes out Cornell etc. Perhaps they are also a disproportionate fraction of the cars out in yuppiedom.
Well, I hope I didn't waste too many Bike Forum electrons ;)

Nope, that honor goes to Jetta drivers

Matt P.
07-24-2007, 12:48 PM
Nope, that honor goes to Jetta drivers

Which honor? Disproportionate ---holes, or wasting electrons? ;-)

I live in Clackamas, and my main problem is also jacked up trucks, seconded by muscle cars (especially around Clackamas Town Center) and anything with multiple teenage males in it. They seem to especially enjoy screaming out the window while passing me, and I have had 3 water bottles tossed at me.

In Portland, I had a half-full 32oz drink thrown at me from the open window of a Tri-Met bus while crossing the Hawthorne bridge, and a group of us on the Worst Routes Ride had a water bottle thrown at us on the Sellwood bridge.