PDA

View Full Version : Injured riders at Reach The Beach

nm973
05-20-2007, 07:52 PM
During the RTB ride on Hwy 18 there was what looked like a pretty nasty bike wreck. Two bikes on the ground, and when I passed there was one cyclist on a stretcher with his head stabilized on a board (stretcher) and I did not see the second cyclist.
It looked pretty bad, and I was hoping everyone is okay. Anybody know if they are okay?

Climber
05-21-2007, 12:12 PM
I heard a report from a friend who was right behind a bad smash up on Hwy 18. Not sure if it's the same event, but apparently a rider was taken to a hospital after a pretty dramatic crash that involved some serious air.

My friend said the rider was on the highway passing a slower group, crossed back over the rumble strips on the shoulder, and lost it.

This is all second-hand, but I can believe it. That's a dangerous stretch of road, and if you're not ready for them those rumble strips can throw ya. It's the worst place on the route for a mix of slow and fast riders because the high speed car traffic makes passing a real adventure.

I've searched the Boregonian, but haven't found news of serious injuries so I'm hoping the rider is ok.

TiAx
05-22-2007, 07:17 PM
It appears she went over the rumble strip, and head over heels. Nothing in any of the papers. Maybe the WW next week?

Anyone know anything about a crash in STP two (or three) years ago where a rider ran almost head on into a car? Rider taken away in an ambulance, and nothing ever posted about it anywhere. We all asked around, and no one ever heard a thing.

nm973
05-23-2007, 08:13 AM
The person I saw on the stretcher was a male. I wonder if there were two incidents?
Is there any reasonable way of getting around that section of road? It is easily the most dangerous part of the route and I would like to put in a request to remove that section with the organizers if there is a reasonable way around it.

bikieboy
05-24-2007, 07:14 PM
I wonder: why does ODOT use rumble strips that are hazardous to bicyclists? I'm making the assumption that these were the devilish jobs where they grind out the asphalt at close intervals, rather than the relatively benign raised white thermoplastic blobs. Perhaps asking ODOT that question, as well as letting them know that a cyclist was seriously injured by one of their *safety* devices, would be a good start.

I almost went down on one on I-84 just east of Wyeth, where the scenic Gorge highway dumps you on the freeway, and the shoulder shrunk down to just a few feet (eeek!) for a few hundred yards. So, I crossed the white line/rumble strip, looked innocuous enough... just barely avoided being sprawled out on the freeway. To ODOT's eternal credit, when I complained they removed the rumble strips in the fairly short order (ok, it took a few months, but that's fast by gub'mint standards).

I'm not a big fan of the lawsuit, but that might be the only way to get rid of the damn things, seems like they're an accepted engineering *safety* practice... ok, rumble strip rant over & out, for the moment.

Rickey Smith
05-25-2007, 06:24 AM
Yamhill River Road. We used this road on our 300k a month ago. Also way more senic. One problem would be crossing back over 18. But that could be taken care of by a couple of police directing traffic.

lynnef
05-25-2007, 09:19 AM
The rumble strips are the bad/evil kind. They'll shake your fenders out of their mounts. I hate that stretch of road.

Yamhill River Road is very nice, but, as Rickey said, the left turn onto 18 just before Grande Ronde would take some traffic management.

Simple Nature
05-25-2007, 10:18 AM
I'm really dreading rumble strips on a trike tour... not so much for the danger of knocking me down, but the teeth-jarring every 25 feet. Some very scenic highways have been ruined for trike touring.