PDA

View Full Version : I am not a racist....

phylum
05-13-2007, 10:54 PM
but lately I have been threatened by young black males when cycling in N and NE PDX. Damn black teenagers in their mom's minivan swerving to push me off the road and flicking me off after they pass me, riding on interstate and just hear: "faggot!" - I sped up my pace afraid they would throw something next. Other than all these daily happenings it is a known fact that black people don't stop for stop signs especially in the N/ NE (where I reside). AGAIN, I AM NOT RACIST BUT THERE IS A PATTERN HERE. Yes, white yuppies have also almost killed me with their subarus and volvos but my main concern is how the black teenagers and even 20+ have a hatred for cyclists, only a few months after reading about attacks on these forums have I experienced it myself. I am sure it is the warm weather - more people out on the street, etc. The only reason I am posting this is because it has happened too many times in the last couple weeks, I am afraid one day I will have a rock thrown at me or get knocked of the bike lane by some juvenile gangster in a minivan. Definately carry my U-lock in my pocket from now on and think about getting some pepper spray or some nonlethal protection. Keep your eyes open!

mizake
05-14-2007, 08:26 AM
no, i'm pretty sure you're racist.

Tbird
05-14-2007, 08:53 AM
I don't know the original poster, and I bet you don't either. So, how is it you're so sure they are racist?

I didn't read anything in the post that would make me think racism had anything to do with the post.

FYI, Just because you state someone is 'black' ( or mexican or danish for that matter) doesn't automatically make it a racist statement.

phylum
05-14-2007, 09:05 AM
it's not about the skin color, it's about the habits and culture. there could have been a white kid in the minivan but I am sure he would be "trying to be black", the way he talks, dresses and treats cyclists. the question is WHY CYCLISTS? I've read somewhere that less educated people think of bicycles a symbol of low status, as if you have a beat up taurus means something.

fetishridr
05-14-2007, 09:27 AM
i agree with the class statement. i once had a high school dropout work for me and i had to fire him when he refused to ride the bus when his truck broke down. Riding the bus was beneath him.

as for black people and running you over, keep in mind that african americans were forced to live in north portland up untill about 40-50 years ago. i'm positive that there is a residual effect of that racist policy across the country and yes, here in the repulic of p town. gentrification just puts salt in the wound of that national and regional policy.

keep your phone handy, and call 911 with the license number when that happens. report it.

if all fails, take your shoes off when the shit hits the fan. its hard to ninja kick with plastic cleats on the bottom of your shoes. put your keys in your fist for a fistpack and act like a crazy person. a u lock would do some damage as well. the only way to diffuse a mass beating is to incapacitate someone as quickly as possible and scare the shit out of everyone else.

people are like dogs, they sense fear. so exploit that fear.

toddistic
05-14-2007, 10:17 AM
just take a different route, if you are coming from N/NE. I always change it up for the change of scenery. Interstate is a nice hill but its a nice hill anywhere if you are heading into downtown.

be safe and catch the license plate # and call it in when it happens. when are you riding down interstate? i usually head into downtown around 6am from ainsworth but wouldnt mind cutting over to north portland every now and then.

phylum
05-14-2007, 10:25 AM
I live in NE where it turns into N so there's no escape. I do practice memorizing license plates already for when it happens. About the post on the cyclist attacked on friday in SE, I guess it doesn't matter where you are there are cyclist haters. Makes me want to start a messenger bag company that has optional shotgun holsters. It's 2007 and we still have to deal with these kinds of humans. We need MORE people riding bikes out there so these attackers won't think we are so vulnerable.

worldsafari
05-14-2007, 10:56 AM
"it is a known fact that black people don't stop for stop signs especially in the N/ NE (where I reside)"

Sounds like a racist statement to me! I would imagine color has nothing to do with wheather you stop or not at a sign.

Anyway, I hope this is not a bad summer for all this craziness. It seemed that last summer it was on the verge of getting to the boiling point. I enjoy the winter riding when less bikes and people are on the roads.

phylum
05-14-2007, 11:15 AM
"it is a known fact that black people don't stop for stop signs especially in the N/ NE (where I reside)"

Sounds like a racist statement to me! I would imagine color has nothing to do with wheather you stop or not at a sign.

Anyway, I hope this is not a bad summer for all this craziness. It seemed that last summer it was on the verge of getting to the boiling point. I enjoy the winter riding when less bikes and people are on the roads.

2 years ago while driving in N PDX with a black friend in the car he said after we crossed an intersection: " are you crazy fool??!! don't you know ni**az don't stop for stop signs??this is the hood!! " after that I stop where there is no stop sign. it's not about stereotypes or racism, it's the truth and it happens in patterns, not all black people fly through stop signs, but pay attention.

this post is dead, the point was to alert other cyclists that YOUNG MALES IN PORTLAND WANT TO KILL YOU AND TAKE YOUR BIKE (from a post I read not too long ago, young females too). be careful as crime rates go up like crazy in summer.

toddistic
05-14-2007, 11:15 AM
if it gets too crazy then its time to do a CM :)

phylum
05-14-2007, 11:18 AM
I can't wait for a CM, and I can picture many cyclists getting injured by the haters, sad but true. Portland, the most bike friendly town in the US of A. The town may be friendly but not it's citizens.

nm973
05-14-2007, 04:50 PM
I ride on the west side, and I almost always take the back roads and farm roads. I can tell you that I have had stuff thrown at me, had several people swerve at me trying to clip my front wheel or scare the hell out of me, had 20 oz bottles thrown from a car going over 60 (speeding) and many other stupid situations. This weekend I had a guy who tried to clip very close to me, but my buddy yelled car back and I moved the other 12 inches to the white line on a dead farm road and the guy then swerved towards cutting me off.
As an FYI, most of my incidents (and miles) have been on farm roads, and these problems, with the exception of one, has all been done by white males ranging in age from teenager in crappy cars to an old guy at least 60+ driving a nice SUV who tried running me off the road while yelling at me. I think race is irrelevent, and I don't really care who it is driving, there are assholes everywhere, regardless of social stature, age, sex, race, etc.
Just make sure to wear your helmet, always carry a cell phone and maybe RoadID and be nice to the good drivers so you don't make the next guys life miserable.

PersonOfInterest
05-15-2007, 11:48 AM
I occasionally get yelled at which is dangerous enough as it scares the heck out of me when I'm climbing a hill. Considering the town I live in is nicknamed "Lake No Negro", I can assure you that the problem has nothing to do with race. It's just punk kids - and immature males in general - taking advantage of a "weaker" road user.

mizake
05-15-2007, 06:18 PM
i mean, i guess the point is that it doesn't really matter whether white, black, or any other variation - it is irrelevant. some young males can tend to be assholes at times.

and rarely, young women.

nm973
05-15-2007, 10:33 PM
Well, I had one that involved an old woman driving with a old man in the passenger seat. They tried to run me off the road, they were matching my speed, old man was yelling at me with the windows rolled up (otherwise my spit would have been of more value).
I wouldn't even judge by age, as I have seen it from all ages. My theory has always been I don't care how much money you make, where you work, what race or religion, each group has some truly great people and each one has real jack asses. Most groups have far more great people than jerks, but it is the jerks who we all talk about, which skews peoples opinions.

phylum
05-16-2007, 11:00 AM
i am sure that every ethnicity has their good and bad people, but i was concerned about the patterns, which in my case all the threats and close calls were from young black males. i guess it can be a lot worse across the country where cyclists are rarely seen on the road and when they are, probably picked on by motorists. the solution i found was to purchase a helmet, now if someone does throw a rock at me or drive me off the road, at least i'll try to survive. anyway, once again i say: WATCH EVERYONE AROUND YOU, PEDESTRIANS AND MOTORISTS, SOME PEOPLE ARE JUST PLAIN EVIL. ESPECIALLY WHEN IT'S HOT OUTSIDE

mizake
05-16-2007, 02:06 PM
you are racist. end of story.

first red flag was the title of your first post: "I AM NOT A RACIST". in reading many posts over the years, this is usually the first indication that the poster is, in fact, racist.

anyway...

i have been fucked with many times by folks on the road while i ride my bike. Most of the time it is by young men. you mentioned that there is a pattern of being fucked with by young black men. the area that you were assaulted in is a predominantly black neighborhood. so of course if you are going to be harrassed by young men, there is a high probability that they are going to be black.

this is NOT a race issue. stop trying to make it one.

nm973
05-16-2007, 04:13 PM
Maybe way outside of the scope of this board. I have never been in a environment where I have been screwed with by a specific group, I seem to find that all groups have jerks, or maybe I am understanding.
Could racism be a result of being in an area where people are all white/black/asian/whatever, but you are in this zone where the culture is riding in cars, and teenagers that likes to screw with people. Since you are a cyclist, who I assume is not African American, maybe white, maybe Asian, who cares, and you perceive all of these attacks as being a race issue cause you are of a different race, rather than realizing you are dealing with a different culture?
Who knows, but if I was always getting attacked by a certain group, I would probably start to hate them too, even if they weren't a protected class, such as mini-van driving moms, or fat people, but there is a name for hating another race. I can tell you I do have a problem with mini-van drivers, and I will NEVER park my car next to a mini-van, and I never trust them when I see them on the road. I live in Beaverton, and I have had too many close calls with mini-vans, so I have developed a bias.
Maybe some people don't understand that they are being abnormal in the environment they are in, and they are going to get harrased, and instead make assumptions about the demographics, rather than realizing every person has some asshole in them and honestly cycling seems to be one that people like to pick on. I think it is mostly because they know we can't screw with them because they are faster. Although if a traffic light hits just right!!!!
Just a thought.

jyl
05-26-2007, 10:33 PM
I can't quite tell if you guys are more worried about getting run off the road by a car, or about being pulled off your bike and attacked by people on foot.

If you ride where the latter is a real danger, keep in mind that you have the option of getting a concealed handgun license (CHL).

I have one and would carry my handgun if I felt at real risk. But first I would try to ride a different route or time; avoiding danger is the best choice.

If you're worried about aggressive drivers, then ignore the above.

mizake
05-27-2007, 09:42 AM
oh yay! guns solve problems!

Matt P.
06-01-2007, 09:48 AM
oh yay! guns solve problems!

Sometimes they do, but not by using them.

CHL holders rarely, if ever actually use their weapons, and statistics I've heard from CCSO (Clackamas County Sheriff's Office) indicate that the CHL holders are not a problem - generally, if you take the time and effort to get a CHL, you are generally more thoughtful, level-headed and responsible than the average gun owner.

Where CHL's (and in this specific case, guns) solve problems is that the person is generally more confident and much more aware of their surroundings because of the presence of the weapon. Potential adversaries pick up on the confidence, the stance, and that person's awareness of their surroundings, and find an easier, less-aware target. (usually. If it's a meth addict looking for an easy roll to get another fix, well, then that could be different)

In any case, guns, like any other tool or potentially deadly object (like cars, which kill many times more people per year than guns) are too complex of an issue to summarize and dismiss in a couple of sentences.

Attornatus_Oregonensis
06-01-2007, 10:45 AM
Sometimes they do, but not by using them.

CHL holders rarely, if ever actually use their weapons, and statistics I've heard from CCSO (Clackamas County Sheriff's Office) indicate that the CHL holders are not a problem - generally, if you take the time and effort to get a CHL, you are generally more thoughtful, level-headed and responsible than the average gun owner.

Where CHL's (and in this specific case, guns) solve problems is that the person is generally more confident and much more aware of their surroundings because of the presence of the weapon. Potential adversaries pick up on the confidence, the stance, and that person's awareness of their surroundings, and find an easier, less-aware target. (usually. If it's a meth addict looking for an easy roll to get another fix, well, then that could be different)

In any case, guns, like any other tool or potentially deadly object (like cars, which kill many times more people per year than guns) are too complex of an issue to summarize and dismiss in a couple of sentences.

Those are lovely theories Matt P., but do you have any actual evidence to support these contentions? Or is this just your personal view?

Matt P.
06-01-2007, 01:29 PM
Those are lovely theories Matt P., but do you have any actual evidence to support these contentions? Or is this just your personal view?

Do I have it personally? Not on me. This is what I've been told by both the CCSO, and by the CHL instructors at the PSTC (Public Safety Training Center) in Clackamas County. So, yes, there is evidence, and no, I don't have the time at the moment to provide it.

If you have doubts or questions, you're welcome and encouraged to check for yourself, and to get statistics from the source.

Clackamas PSTC: 503-353-4644
CCSO (non-emergency): 503-655-8218
Multnomah County Sheriff: 503-988-4300
Portland PD: 503-823-3333

As for enhanced confidence and awareness, that's anecdotal based on comments by PSTC instructors with 20 years' experience training CHL holders, and by comments from friends and relatives in law enforcement, including a US Marshall. I'm sure it doesn't apply to everyone (what does?), and since it was garnered via face-to-face interviews, it isn't scientific - so make what you will of it.

As for joe average criminal preying on the weak rather than the confident - that's a general statement, and while I have no statistics on it, it's well-known and written about. Either it's true, or one of the greatest myths regarding criminal behavior.

If you want anything past that, you'll have to bear the burden of research, I'm afraid - I'm tapped out with current commitments and trying hard not to get sidetracked.

Note also: I am not advocating the use of a firearm, the main aim of my post was to point out that A: firearms are not a simple issue that can be solved, fixed, addressed or dismissed easily, and B: firearms have effects that have nothing to do with their intended purpose or actual use.

Matt P.
06-01-2007, 01:35 PM
I was in error on this: "like cars, which kill many times more people per year than guns"

Cars kill roughly 42,000 people per year. Guns kill a little under 30,000 per year. Breakdown as follows:

~12,000 suicides
~12,000 homicides
~650 unintentional shootings
~300 law-enforcement-related (cops doing their duty)
~200 "undetermined" intent

The numbers don't add to 42,000 - so there are unlisted breakdown categories that I'd have to look up. Data was from 2004 in both cases.

nm973
06-04-2007, 07:31 AM
Sometimes people forget, the gun does not make the decision to kill, the person does. Just as you could use a car to run someone, or a group of people down, you can use many means to kill. Since a gun is an efficient hunting weapon, it is the choice.

Consider this, say it was "back in the day" when everyone had a gun on them most of the time. Do you think Virginia Tech would have happened at the level it did? Yeah, he probably would have gotten a couple of people, not the number that he did.

Would the terrorists have been able to take over the planes if 30 people in the plane had guns?

I am not saying we all should carry guns, because it really isn't the solution. But the gun laws, such as no guns on campus, only keeps the honest people from bringing guns on campus and only criminals bring guns on campus. As you know, we will never get rid of guns, so we need to have some checks and balances to let the honest people have guns too. Also for clarification, I don't think anyone should have guns on planes, except for employees, I am talking about situations that do not include travel.

People will always try to kill other people. As sad as it is, it is a fact of life. A gun is a common method to help them kill. People seem to forget that the gun has no intent or motive, only the person who is holding the gun has intent and motive.