PDA

View Full Version : possible stolen track bike?

ben
05-10-2007, 06:44 PM
did anyone have a black track bike stolen recently?
a friend and i politely confronted a kid today about the bike he was walking down the street.
it was a super sketchy scenario for a variety of reasons.
however, we had no HARD evidence against him.

black track frame (i think it was powdercoated).
i didn't notice the brand of fork.
i believe it had black deep-v rims.
sawed off, flat bars...only had black bar tape on the right side.
2 SPOKE CARDS! (one Food Fight / Go Vegan...and the other appeared to be an alley cat one...i think there were some skulls on it).

the main thing that prompted me to confront him was the food fight spoke card. my friend jordan made those....about 40 or so, and handed them out to his vegan friends around town...and gave a few to food fight as well.
most people who have them on their bike, i know or have at least seen before.
i've never seen this kid before in my life.
the kid claims that he was borrowing the bike from his friend "aiden."
i don't know anyone by that name here....especially that rides a track bike and is possibly vegan.
jordan doesn't know any aiden's in this city...nevermind in the bike or vegan community here.
chad (at food fight) didn't know an aiden, nor anyone else that i called or talked to.

i really hope this kid was legit.
but there was some many things that didn't add up.
how he kept walking it....his really baggy pants and bulky shoes.....how he kept furiously dialing numbers on his cell phone while jordan and i asked him questions.
i would think most people would just be like "dude, its my bike....later!" and take off. but he seemed really nervous.

ugh, i just hated riding away from a POTENTIALLY stolen bike.
nothing matched it on finetoothcog.

if anyone knows who it might belong to, let me know.
i'd like to either:
a.) rest easy knowing there is some kid named aiden that let a friend borrow his bike.

or

b.) give you a full description of the kid and where and when i saw him last.

asianjo3
05-11-2007, 03:02 AM
i saw a post about a stolen track bike which was black about a week ago on craigslist there

mizake
05-11-2007, 03:22 PM
someone's bareknuckle frame was stolen a few weeks ago. it was black with a chromed fork (that being it's most distinctive feature). Bike Central has a flyer with the person's contact info. Here's Bike Central's #: 503.227.4439. it is likely that whoever stole it would've replaced the fork immediately.

mizake
05-11-2007, 03:31 PM
here's the finetoothcog link to the stolen bike: http://finetoothcog.com/site/bike_matches/604

ben
05-11-2007, 04:04 PM
yeah that was colin's bike.
the same guy that posted it on craigslist.
i just exchanged a couple of emails with him.
it's not his bike.

apparently his was spotted by a bike shop owner up in vancouver, WA.
still has the chrome fork on it.
not sure if he'll see it again, but i'd love to see a recon mission set up to get it back.

so anyone that lives in the northern part of the 'couve keep an eye out for this:

http://portland.craigslist.org/clk/bik/327783051.html
(remember it has flat bars now)

mizake
05-11-2007, 06:29 PM
does colin have the serial number? I'd totally ride up to vancouver for a recon mission if that is for sure his bike.

rubbish heap
05-11-2007, 11:57 PM
i think i know a kid named aiden, whose a vegan and rides track bikes. seen him once or twice atleast, and he was talking about getting deep v's.

ben
05-12-2007, 02:24 AM
awesome.
i hope that was his bike and he was letting his friend borrow it.
then i wouldn't feel so bad about walking away.

rubbish heap
05-12-2007, 12:47 PM
well, i can't say for sure because it's been months since i've met / seen him, but there you go. there's two stolen track bikes that i know of right now, and both owners did a good job of getting flyers / online listings up...