PDA

View Full Version : Backpack failure

Joynt
05-07-2007, 12:37 PM
SE PDX to Downtown commuter needs tips on the perfect pack. The one I have now sucksss. Zippers get caught, only one front cargo pocket, and its bulky.

I need to carry at least: textbooks, bike pump/lock and prefer a longer vertical space than fatter horizontal one.

I have looked at Volcom and Rei, but decided to check the forums to see if anyone had luck be it good or bad on specific backpack brands.

Thanks

norse rider
05-07-2007, 02:33 PM
Sounds like you need something large? I have used all winter a Deuter Cross-Air. It has been flawless and with the pull out yellow cover to protect against the rain, I have never had a wet pack yet. I don't think this will be large enough for you, but I can't recomend this pack enough. With carrrying text books have you looked into panniers? I can't imagine hauling around my lit.theory text book in my Deuter let alone any backpack.

jwdoom
05-07-2007, 05:57 PM
I use an Osprey Atmos 35. It's a day pack, but it's got a frame and accomodations for Camelbaks and the like. Small stretchy pockets on the side and a wide, tall, flat one on the back. Hip, um, pad belt thingies.

Here:
http://www.ospreypacks.com/Packs/AtmosSeriesMens/Atmos35/

This is my second one, I destroyed the zipper on my first one by overloading the pack and being clumsy with the zipper. Other than that problem (which was as much operator errors as anything) I like the pack. The only caveat is it doesn't stand up, so it gets pretty dirty.

It's also got this strange bungie hook thingies that velcro into loops on the back which are TOTALLY AWESOME. I use them to hold my cable.

Joynt
05-07-2007, 09:24 PM
Thanks for the link, and im drooling over Deuters site http://www.deuterusa.com/products/

Im leery of panneirs... I'm just coming off of a recent bike theft. Recovered the bike... but all my accessories were stripped off of it.

fetishridr
05-07-2007, 11:20 PM
if you are carrying a load, go with panniers. REI deals some bombproof Ortlieb panniers. you wont be sorry. that being said,

why in the hell would you leave expensive gear on your bike unattended? thats like leaving your CD player/deck unattended in a car with the windows down. The panniers are easy on/ easy off, so you can move them and your gear to where you need it, like classes/work.

Joynt
05-09-2007, 10:25 PM
I think I will stick with a backpack, gonna head to next adventure and see what they have.

Thanks for your comments

John Henry
05-11-2007, 06:31 AM
if you havent picked out a new one yet i have a suggestion

http://www.rei.com/product/752712

i use this and its great, no zippers just a top that you roll and fasten with clips, its completely waterproof, i got tired of those rain covers that leak. the only thing that sucks is it is essentialy a big sack, no pockets or anything inside

Joynt
05-11-2007, 06:09 PM
That pack looks like a monster. I really just ride for leisure, but i'm always carrying something so I will definitely go to REI and check it out. Durability and waterproof = goood.

And no zippers would be a salvation for me. Thanks a lot!

jwdoom
05-13-2007, 07:52 PM
if you are carrying a load, go with panniers. REI deals some bombproof Ortlieb panniers. you wont be sorry...

In my experience, panniers are way too inconvenient when you get off the bike, I have some but I rarely use them. I know Ortlieb makes backpack attachments but Ortliebs are expensive and fancified to an almost intimidating level. I'm sure to someone immersible panniers are useful, but I'm satisfied with my Axioms when I need to use panniers.

What *I* really want (and I know I'm going a bit OT here) is a trunk. Something like locking hardshell panniers that are installed on the bike.