PDA

View Full Version : Riding on the sidewalk...?

Tbird
05-03-2007, 04:52 PM
Ok, maybe this has been asked here before...If so, I apologize for the redundancy.
What's the call with riding on the sidewalk downtown?
I think I know. It's a NO NO! Right?

Then WTF is up with Transit (In)Security and the other imitation PoPo that troll downtown? I was collided with by another T(IN)S officer on a bike today while walking on the sidewalk. That's the 2nd time in 2007 for me. about 5 minutes later I saw 2 of them riding north on the sidewalk of 4th, cross an intersection then ride right up behind some little old lady ( I'm not kidding), startling her and nearly causing her to fall to the ground. When I asked them why they feel they can ride on the sidewalk, and the reply I got was (not kidding again)
" We're Transit Mall Security..."

Now I'm sure everyone has seen them on the sidewalk, maybe I'm out of bounds on this, but shouldn't they have to follow the law like all citizens, including the REAL PoPo?

DJoos
05-03-2007, 09:37 PM
Unless posted, I believe it is legal to ride on the sidewalk in Portland. I don't think it is a good idea though, with all the people walking in the downtown area, it is an accident waiting to happen.

tvhwy
05-03-2007, 11:25 PM
Exceptions are made under the law for these guys.

City of Portland Title 16 (http://www.portlandonline.com/transportation/index.cfm?c=34814&a=71947)

16.70.320 Operating Rules

No person may:
E. ride a bicycle on a sidewalk, unless avoiding a traffic hazard in the immediate area, within the area bounded by and including SW Jefferson, Front Avenue, NW Hoyt and 13th Avenue, except:

4. for police or special officers operating a bicycle in the course and scope of their duties; or

5. for employees of the Association for Portland Progress and companies providing security services operating a bicycle in the course and scope of their duties. These employees must have in possession an identification card issued by the Chief of Police certifying the rider has completed a training course in the use of a bicycle for security patrol.

Apparently, it is also illegal to stuff squirrels into one's panniers for the purposes of gambling.

Scott Mizee
05-04-2007, 05:56 AM
Yup the quote of the code above is correct, but it only affects downtown.

We are free to ride on the sidewalk in other parts of town. Can someone paste that portion of the code that defines the boundaries for no sidewalk riding? I asked an officer one time, but I don't remember the streets he named.

Also, I often ride on the sidewalk to get to the door to our indoor bike storage at the ODS Tower. I kind of treat it as similar to when the cars drive on the sidewalk to get into their daytime parking facility.

tvhwy
05-04-2007, 11:16 AM
The boundaries are in the snippet I posted above. There are exceptions in the Title even within the boundaries for avoiding hazards & stuff like that.

jon
05-04-2007, 05:23 PM
I told a girl I was on her right coming up from behind her and she turned right in front of me to go up some stairs. It was a one way street so I was on the side walk(sw 6th and mill) Oh well, I guess that's what I get. I crashed into a wall and hit her.