PDA

View Full Version : Seattle to Portland, training partners wanted

markslawton
04-30-2007, 06:36 AM
Hello,

I am hoping to do STP in one day this year and wonder if anybody is interested in joining me for training rides. Or, if you have info on a group that already trains for STP, I would like to know more.

Please email me directly:

thank you,
mark lawton

markslawton@hotmail.com
:rolleyes:

boneshaker
04-30-2007, 10:38 AM
There are a number of clubs around Portland and you'd be hard pressed to find a day when there isn't a group ride going on somewhere. Try www.ptwc.com

TiAx
05-01-2007, 11:46 PM
The Wheelmen ride everywhere. Their Monday night rides are I believe intros, and have like 3 different groups that go at three different paces. The first group fairly slow, the last group pretty fast. I'm pretty sure Tuesdays a group of very quick riders (some ex racers) go out and hammer for about two hours in a fairly tight group. If you're fit, and can hold a line, these guys would be great to train with. If that's too fast, they have tons of other rides of all levels.

In Vancouver their club rides all the time too. Some really nice roads up there. And each Thursday they have a (non competetive) time trial. A good way to test your self and work on aero position at a constant speed.

TiAx
05-02-2007, 12:03 AM
Try www.ptwc.com

There's a typo in that URL. You want www.pwtc.com (http://www.pwtc.com), or for a schedule of upcoming rides, click here (http://www.pwtc.com/index.php/schedule/).

bobsyouruncle
05-08-2007, 01:03 AM
I've always felt the Wheelmen are more like the bicycle auxiliary arm of the AAA. They'll pull up to the start point with their shiny $4,000 bikes on $50,000 cars, pull them down, and go for their workout.

They wouldn't dream of actually riding their bikes to get to the start point - a bike is just something that you use to get a workout on, not to be confused with the ever-so-much more practical automobile.

Blah. I'll probably get flamed for this post, but the handful of times I've been to Wheelmen rides, I was really turned off by their attitudes. Too bad the Zoobombers aren't interested in STP - they'd be way more fun as training partners.

lynnef
05-10-2007, 05:34 PM
www.portlandvelo.net

rides every Saturday out of Longbottoms in Hillsboro. Many of us RIDE to the start, thank you. Many different pace groups. Also, if you visit our forum, there are STP discussions going on in there somewhere.

nm973
05-14-2007, 04:31 PM
Mark, I have been riding to the Portland Velo rides on Saturday morning, riding with them, and then on the way home I add miles to get my target mileage in. It may be something worth considering, that way you aren't always riding by yourself.
Portland Velo has a group ride every day (along with Portland Wheelmen) that may work during the week as well.

Rickey Smith
05-15-2007, 10:16 PM
You state a group to ride with. Portland Velo by far is the best group to ride with on Saturday. With 100 riders and groups broken into 12 riders per group you will ride with a group of like riders. If you check on other clubs look to see how they are listed. Non group rides mean you show up given a route map and you are on your own.