PDA

View Full Version : Officious "I-205 bike path cleanup" thread - NEXT WEEKEND!

tvhwy
04-26-2007, 05:33 PM
Hi,

Some of us have been discussing a possible I-205 bike trail cleanup in the "Glass" thread (http://www.bikeportland.org/forum/showthread.php?t=840). I suggested next Sunday, May 6. These people have said they're on board:

mizaki - Yes
tvhwy - Yes, Sunday
oldguyonabike - Yes, Thursday (or Friday?)
mike_khad1 - Yes, Sunday

I suggest we meet at a central point -- say, Gateway Transit Center -- and split up into factions responsible for different sections of the route. Or we could meet after our individual clean-ups and get drinks.

Who else can make it? If you agree we should all meet, then at what time?

mizake
04-26-2007, 05:55 PM
funny, i don't feel officious :D

i'm down with sunday. if we start at say, 10am, clean for a couple of hours and break for beverages at noon - that would be my suggestion. i'll bring a trailer with a broom and dustpan to properly dispose of the crap we collect off the trail.

Jeff Wills
04-26-2007, 08:05 PM
Is that "this Sunday" April 29th or "next Sunday" May 6th? I can make May 6th, but not April 29th- gonna be riding the Cookie (http://www.bikeride.com/calendar/event.asp?id=2304).

For the 6th- I'll see who I can recruit.

Jeff

tvhwy
04-26-2007, 08:18 PM
May 6! I'll edit my earlier message to specify as much.

Oldguyonabike
04-27-2007, 03:30 PM
Since I started the other thread I feel obligated to do my part.
Unfortunately I'm out of town that weekend. But I am committed to do my part. On Thursday on my way home I'll clear off the stretch from Clackamas Town Center north to Johnson Creek.
There's been a siting of someone riding with a full broom strapped to his top tube. Are you in?
Post clean-up drinks are a great idea. We'll just have to do it again later in the summer. I'm sure the glass will return by then............
Thanks for stepping this idea up a notch tvhwy!

TiAx
04-28-2007, 01:36 AM
I won't be able to help, but you people are wonderful for doing this. I tip my helmet to you.

mike_khad1
04-28-2007, 10:23 AM
I'll be at Gateway at 10AM. How about drinks/lunch at McMinimims just off of Sunnyside road?

tvhwy
04-28-2007, 10:48 PM
McMenamins sounds good. Perhaps Oldguyonabike will submit a portrait we can put at the table in his absence.

Oldguyonabike
04-30-2007, 08:21 AM
I promise a clear trail south of Johnson Creek Thursday. Everyone's awesome to help take this on. Brews are certainly in the cards. Enjoy the ride!
I've tried to attach a *.pmg file from last year's Bridge Pedal but not sure it went through. If you see a grey helmet, orange glasses guy on a blue Bianchi around 6AM of 5PM throw me thumbs up!

jwdoom
04-30-2007, 05:36 PM
I'm down and 10am is good.

Are we meeting at the transit center itself?

tvhwy
05-01-2007, 10:16 PM
Gateway TC at the bike path sounds good to me.

mizake
05-02-2007, 09:54 AM
I'll be there.

mike_khad1
05-03-2007, 08:26 PM
I saw "Oldguyonabike" (aka Jeff) today. He was hiding on the 205 bike path under the Monterey street overpass. He was waiting out the hail storm and the rain (I think). He even showed me his mini-broom since he won't be able to be there on Sunday.

I'll be at Gateway at 10AM on Sunday.

Jonathan Maus
05-04-2007, 03:33 PM
Can someone please send me photos of the clean-up effort? I'd love to write about this first thing on Monday...

Oldguyonabike
05-04-2007, 04:37 PM
Hey - nice meeting Mike under to Johnson Creek bridge. Actually just putting on booties and gloves. Whoever thought we wore helmets so we could ride in hail?
I did the best I could in the rain. A little schrapnel just south of the new detour. There was also a new glass pile in the curve north of Foster. What we need to do is get Tri-Met to sweep the lousy roads - 92nd & 86th(?) that they have us moved on to.
What a great community! Looks like you get a sunny day, too. Enjoy!

jwdoom
05-06-2007, 02:28 AM
I may hafta bail on the clean up. I just got home from work and I'm exhausted. But of course I'll be too wound up to sleep for an hour.

I'll try to make it.

jwdoom
05-06-2007, 12:55 PM
Here we are on the wifi at the Sunnyside McMenamin's after cleaning up the bike path stretch from NE Glisan to SE Foster. It wasn't as bad as we expected. The stretch immediately south of Burnside was pretty nasty and we stopped again just north of Harold.

Five total showed up. Me, Jeff (jeffwills), Noah (tvwhy, who HAD to show up), Bill (MI7D1) and Mike (Mike_Khad1). Pictures to follow.

mi7d1
05-06-2007, 02:27 PM
Hi all,

I just made it home from the bike path clean up. I had a great time and want to thank my fellow riders for choosing the least hilly route to the pub. This was the first time I have ridden in any group with my velomobile and from my perspective I didn't do to bad a job, I hope the feeling is mutual. Today I got a chance to meet a very nice group of serious riders. The reason I say this is that everyone, as I pointed out to the group, had full fenders. Fair weather riders need not apply... fenders. There were three DF bikes and two recumbents including mine. We received many comments such as "good job", "thanks" and one "I feel guilty" Hopefully the 205 bike path is a bit cleaner and all will experience less flats along the route.

Thanks Noah for getting the wheels spinning for the clean-up event :)

tvhwy
05-06-2007, 04:23 PM
Like I said when we toasted at McMenamin's, I think we did something to be proud of.

I just figured out that I biked 18.5 miles today, which is also something to be proud of. I think I'll go toast to that.

/n.

P.S. Where da pictures at?

Jeff Wills
05-06-2007, 09:17 PM
Ditto, ditto, ditto and... ditto. :rolleyes:

I had fun meeting people and just cruising slowly. I wish I could have gone to McMenamin's, but I've definitely got a bug. Maybe I'm sick of cleaning up- I've been working on my garage, too. Eeewwww...

Jeff

mi7d1
05-07-2007, 05:10 AM
Here are a couple of photos that I took of the clean-up

mike_khad1
05-07-2007, 07:57 AM
Feeling guilty no more!!!

I had a great time. We spent about 2 hours sweeping glass and as we discussed over an adult beverage, we should probably shoot to do this once a quarter (except during the winter).

Also, it would be neat if someone with deep pockets could make up signs stating "This portion of the XXX path is maintained by XXX". This might encourage others to get together for various portions of the various paths. In our case the sign could read "This portion of the I-205 multiuse path is maintained by Noah's Knuckleheads". (Or the 205 path denizens).

Thanks to Oldguyonabike for suggesting this. Thanks to Noah for scheduling this. And thanks to those who showed up for doing this.

Oldguyonabike
05-07-2007, 08:09 AM
Beautiful cool Spring temp this morning. Half moon. AND NO GLASS! Thanks to you it really seemed different. Especially down in Lents. I'll have to check out south of Burnside on the way home. That stretch got so bad my little handbroom gave up and I've started taking the street just west of the path (other side of the bank). There was a bum sleeping ina box back there a couple months ago and I was toying with giving the guy a broom and $5 a week to help us out. But he's moved on. And people who like to break bottles sure love to drink back there. Wish I could have been there Sunday. Maybe we can do it again in the Fall to get ready for the Winter slog.

Anyone know who to call to get 92nd and Fuller Roads swept? Since Trimet is diverting us on to those streets it would be nice to get all the flotsam swept off. I think its Clackamas County's roads, but Trimet's responsibility. Ideas?

wlrdr
05-07-2007, 10:40 PM
My hats off to you guys. Thanks for the work you did this weekend.

jwdoom
05-08-2007, 11:38 PM
Pics!!!

On Flickr (http://www.flickr.com/photos/doom/sets/72157600195257512/)

I didn't take too many, I didn't want the other dudes to think I was slacking.

Jeff Wills
05-13-2007, 09:52 PM
Pics!!!

Some of the litter was just a little too big:
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/199/490921656_d008877f92.jpg?v=0

Yes, that's where we found it! We just didn't have the ooomph to put on one of our racks...

Jeff

mi7d1
05-18-2007, 11:55 PM
I never saw you take those pictures, thanks.

Pics!!!