PDA

View Full Version : Who is the licence plate bender????

kian777
04-18-2007, 11:23 AM
I have a friend who recently moved to Portland. They were driving through NW 23rd when a guy on a bike came up right behind him. From his perspective it seemed like he was doing something to his bumper but wasn't sure what. Later when he parked he took a look at his bumper to find that his license plate had been bent in half.

He thought he might have unknowingly cut the guy off and he probably did.

It makes me mad that some bikers are retaliating like this. I bike back and fourth from Portland to Beaverton 5 days a week. I really don't want the drive of a car that has been vandalized by a biker to take out there aggression out on me.

I get really angry when a clueless driver does something stupid but please lets not start a war. Yell at the driver if necessary to let them know to be more careful but please stay away from doing damage like this.

jami
04-19-2007, 10:36 AM
your friend shouldn't have cut the cyclist off, of course, but when cyclists over-react, drivers end up getting the moral high ground, which, given their toxic spew, they should never, ever have.

this critical mass story in san francisco was really disheartening:
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=9496562

it sounds like a driver hit a cyclist (though no one was injured and no police report was fired). then a bunch of cyclists surrounded her and smashed in the windows of a minivan filled with children. shitty.

kian777
04-19-2007, 10:53 AM
I absolutly agree that he shouldn't have cut off the cycler. And being in portland, a top rated city for cyclers, needs to be much more aware of them on the road.

I didn't know of that story in the bay area but that is exactly what concerned me. I don't want something like this to happen in Portland.

Haven_kd7yct
04-24-2007, 09:44 AM
Hey, everyone makes mistakes... and if your friend was driving in an unfamiliar area, or one so messed up as NW 23rd, and he cut someone off without knowing it, the cyclist really lost the moral superiority battle there.

C'mon, peoples, let's try to get in the other person's shoes briefly before flying off the handle.

rainperimeter
04-24-2007, 02:33 PM
i heard that npr story the day it aired and the lady in the minivan, at least during her little sound bites, somehow fails to mention that she hit someone with her minivan. injury or not, she didn't mention it and kept on going.

i think she said something about making sure to not make back into the city anymore, cuz you know, the city is full of dangers and scary things. i got a kick out of that.

jami
05-08-2007, 05:53 PM
yeah, i didn't love the minivan lady's style. sounded like she thought critical mass was al qaeda even before she whapped one of 'em and they over-reacted.

but the cyclists they talked to didn't talk much about the person who was (probably) hit, either. i did not get a strong sense that a cyclist had been given much more than maybe a bad scare. it's totally valid, maybe even good, to chase a driver like that down and make sure they know they made a dangerous mistake. but these cyclists' reaction was way over the line, especially if they could see the kids in the minivan.