PDA

View Full Version : Bike Theft Vigilantism

nnevvinn
04-12-2007, 02:04 AM
I have had some history with bike theft. No, I wasn't the one committing the theft. My trek mountain bike was successfully stolen last year. I reported it (with serial #) to the police, and a few weeks later I saw it on CL, and went and checked it out. It was mine for sure, so I called the cops without the guy knowing. They came, and I got the bike back, but much to my disappointment, the guy didn't get in ANY trouble. They had absolutely no proof that he had stolen it or was aware that it was stolen. This year, someone damaged the same bike trying to steal it, and my roommate's front wheel was swiped (even though it was locked up). All of this happened on PSU campus.

So, here is what I'm thinking. I want to get a group of people together and make bike thieves' lives harder. Details haven't been worked out yet- that's where y'all come in. We need to make a plan to catch people in the act, and have enough evidence to turn them in without doing anything illegal or immoral ourselves (such as tackling them and stealing their wallet so that we have their identity). If anyone is interested in helping out, or has some good ideas, post here.

Although it sounds awfully appealing, let's avoid paint-ball guns and the like. Ninja masks might be fun though.

If anyone isn't registered to the forums and wants to help out, email nevin.freeman[at]gmail[dot]com

nm973
04-12-2007, 02:46 PM
hook some thin steal wire with your lock and if they break the lock an alarm goes off, kind of like those body alarms. Or maybe it just makes a very loud bang. Something to draw attention to them. Their has to be a signal that runs through the wire to detect if the wire is cut.

Another thought, just us a camcorder out of a dorm room/class room/whatever and get it to only record when there is movement. You would need to get PSU's permission, as I believe hidden recording devices can be illegal on private property if the owner is not aware. Not sure, but I would check.

rubbish heap
04-12-2007, 06:13 PM
i'm interested... pm me.

Mofopotomus
04-16-2007, 09:36 AM
I'm in, but if you won't let us use paintball guns can we at least do the flying off the bike tackle thing?

nnevvinn
04-16-2007, 11:45 AM
haha, maybe. Depends on how graceful you are.

Does anyone know what would happen if we took a video of someone steeling a bike to the police? What might the different outcomes be if we did/ didn't know their name?

nm973
04-16-2007, 11:52 AM
The police would at least have record of it for future reference, which is far better than just a broken lock. Also, you could use the news stations to try and help find the theif.

jon
04-18-2007, 12:02 AM
where did your bike get stolen? I lock mine up right next to pizzicato(my work)