PDA

View Full Version : Barbur & Hamilton - Hit by car

Mondofresh
04-09-2007, 09:17 AM
Riding Northbound in the bike lane on Barbur. After crossing Hamilton a woman in smallish gold car turned right suddenly to go into the Swan Mart parking lot. I was only going about 15 mph or so. I managed to lock my brakes and angle to the right. I hit her passenger door, side mirror and then rolled up onto her hood. I rolled off the car when she stopped. My shoulder, forearm, wrist, ribs all in pain but no obvious signs of fractures. Only slight abrasions.

I used some very colorful language when we hit. She was nice enough to pull over despite a flurry of f-bombs that I uttered once I was got up off the street. I got all of her information. She said she is usually very careful but that she had a lot on her mind. "Yeah, lady -- you almost had a lot of my mind on the hood of your car!"

When we collided she was executing a quick right turn with no signal ("oh, I think I better duck into the Swam Mart"). It was pretty sudden, she managed to get halfway through the bike lane when we collided. I pay close attention in this area because of another similar accident just half a block back at Hamilton.

I've had 2 accidents in 2 years along this stretch of road. Both times I was wearing bright yellow coat, red helmet, red bike, flashing white LED on the front, flashing red on the back. Both times during the morning commute.

Here is a link to a google "My Maps" showing where my two accidents have happened:
http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?f=q&hl=en&q=portland,+or&layer=&ie=UTF8&om=1&z=17&msid=118053296797946511441.00000111d75b8070bc481&msa=0

If you ride on Barbur - beware the right-turning drivers at Hamilton, Swan Mart, and the side streets just north. I pay close attention and try to spot the cars turning (the ones with broken turn signals - ha!) and have had a few close calls. Despite being attentive, I've had 2 crashes of this kind along this stretch of road. Barbur can be a really scary bike commute. I think I'll have to start taking Terwilliger.

brock
04-09-2007, 12:54 PM
Glad you're ok. I used to ride that stretch on my commute (NE Portland to Tigard), but now favor Terwilliger with it's slower speed limits despite the extra time/hill. There are still a few places to watch out for on Terwilliger if you go that way instead - Condor, and ironically the other and of Hamilton. Both are ripe for oncoming traffic turning in front of you when headed northbound because of the corners. Terwilliger is pretty nice though, lot's of riders and runners in the evening, pretty sunrises in the morning, and the hills get ya strong :)

Mondofresh
04-09-2007, 05:45 PM
I often come home by Terwilliger. I've been resistant to that route in the morning because of the climbing involved. That's something that I don't usually enjoy first thing in the morning. Of course, getting hit by inattentive drivers is even less enjoyable, so...

tao
04-10-2007, 02:02 PM
Glad you are okay. I hate those turning without signaling, while driving or biking. According to my own observation, about 30% of the drivers do not signal when turning or changing lanes.

Note to self: Ride carefully and don't judge the driver's intenton only by the signal light.