PDA

View Full Version : Glass

Oldguyonabike
04-02-2007, 03:56 PM
Along with Spring flowers come warm weather and more shattered beer bottles along the 205 bike path. I just changed my 2nd flat in so many months. There's no magic disappearing glass fairie. We all know Trimet has a lot more going on out here than to clean the bike paths so I went over to Target a few days ago and got a small wisk broom. It fits nicely (though looks odd) on the outside of my paniers. The hard part, of course, is stopping. But during the commute I've been trying to stop once or twice to sweep away the especially large glass clusters that wedge into and cut through our tires. They are especially obvious illumined by bike lights in the pre-dawn darkness.
Anyone care to join me? Together we may save a few tubes.

bonny790
04-05-2007, 12:57 AM
I know what you mean. Willamette Blvd by the Overlook is horrible with glass. Since winter started, I've had more than half dozen flats from glass. Whenever they street sweep, it's only glass free for two days (never more!). Then back up to 6 or 7 bottles within a couple weeks. Seems to level out at about 8-10 bottles until the next sweep. Keep in mind that this stretch of road is only a mile or so long and only on the cliff side bike lane! Never see any glass in the opposite bike lane *wheww*.

That' a good idea with taking the cleaning into your own hands.

Toby

mike_khad1
04-06-2007, 06:54 AM
You made me feel guilty oldguy. I also ride the 205 bike path. I pack in my panniers a wisk broom but I've never stopped to sweep glass. I have been lucky enough to avoid flats and I keep telling myself that I should stop and clear some part of the path - tomorrow.

I'm in. Maybe if I clear one spot a day on my way home and others do likewise we can make a difference

Sheepish in Portland

Attornatus_Oregonensis
04-06-2007, 07:50 AM
Totally. If everyone, or even most people, stopped once/day for a few seconds and did a little sweeping, the path would stay pretty-much glass-free. That's right thinking, as the Buddhists say.

NEPcyclistic
04-06-2007, 02:56 PM
Does anyone use kevlar strips that go on the inside of the tires? I use them, and have yet to get a flat. Maybe i'm just lucky?? They were kind of expensive but well worth it.

Oldguyonabike
04-12-2007, 08:51 AM
Its true. Its so hard to stop. But if we combine efforts one broken bottle at a time we'll be riding flat free for the summer. Well, until the next broken bottle.... Yes, the strips help. So does keeping tires at their max inflation and weekly inspection for those pesky chards working their way in. Looks like we have construction debris to start dealing with on 205 now, too.

mizake
04-19-2007, 11:30 AM
and really, when you're riding your bike, and you see someone clearing broken glass - could you at least say "thanks" or something?

tvhwy
04-19-2007, 04:47 PM
Should we organize an official Portland Bike Forums I-205 Bike Path Cleanup Day?

mizake
04-20-2007, 09:38 AM
Should we organize an official Portland Bike Forums I-205 Bike Path Cleanup Day?

I'm all for it :D

tvhwy
04-20-2007, 03:55 PM
Two weeks from Sunday?

Simple Nature
04-20-2007, 07:46 PM
They have highway adoption programs that helps keep highways clean, why not form the same type of coalition for our paths... both cyclists and pedestrian? I would imagine you would get city backing as well as recognition... from there you could even ask for some help with inforcement. Breaking a bottle in the path meant for a vehicle could be considered wreckless endangerment if you stretch the law to its limits. If people catch licence plate numbers of violators and report them, I think the city would be required to notify the vehicle owner of the concequenses of such an act... inlcuding a clear understanding what liability the perp could face.

When people work at maintaining a path, they also become more vigilent at reporting those that thwart their efforts.

I could see myself riding along on my recumbent trike with a vacuum on a trailer sucking up what the city sweeper missed :p

tvhwy
04-21-2007, 12:36 PM
Small steps...

Oldguyonabike
04-23-2007, 03:59 PM
That would make it May 6th?

jwdoom
04-23-2007, 05:33 PM
I think enforcement on drunk shoplifters breaking bottles in east Portland is pretty much wishful thinking.

But I'd be down for a clean up day if I can get free. Sundays are good for me. Late morning, mayhap?

I also like the adopt a multi-use path idea. No reason running/walking orgs couldn't get in on it as well.

Oldguyonabike
04-24-2007, 12:07 PM
I have committment that weekend but I will commit to cleaning the stretch from Clackamas Town Center to Johnson Creek on Friday the 4th.

Oldguyonabike
04-24-2007, 04:08 PM
I have committment that weekend but I will commit to cleaning the stretch from Clackamas Town Center north to Johnson Creek on Thursdau May 3rd.

mike_khad1
04-26-2007, 06:54 AM
I'll be down around the monterey st access

Jonathan Maus
04-27-2007, 07:35 AM
wow. I just noticed this thread. you guys are awesome. thanks for being a part of the forums and for working together to make cycling better in Portland.