PDA

View Full Version : Quicksilver

bay2la
03-04-2007, 06:34 PM
so i just watched "quicksilver" on channel 12 today. it was a film from the 80's featuring kevin bacon as a wall street stock man turned beret wearing bicycle messenger. it had serious cult appeal even though every review online seriously trashes the film.

anyone seen it? i want to start a bicycle movie thread, so can anyone recommend good films similar to this one? the only other one i can think of is "rad" with the older brother from "the goonies". i saw another movie titled "breaking away" that looked interesting. thoughts? thanks.

NEPcyclistic
03-04-2007, 07:21 PM
i saw another movie titled "breaking away" that looked interesting. thoughts? thanks.

Breaking Away, a fantastic film. I will have to check out "Quicksilver."

rainperimeter
03-05-2007, 01:07 AM
BMX Bandits, australian, starring a very young Nicole Kidman. This and RAD were heavy contenders for favorite movie during my youth. BMX Bandits is way cheesier and the riding is not nearly as good as in RAD

Quicksilver was neat but not about BMX so no it was no big deal then.

Triplets Of Belleville. meh. I was depressed at the time i saw this. maybe i'd like it now. i like lots of things now that i didn't a few years ago.

Breaking Away. really really great.

American Flyers. Kevin Costner? i've never seen this.

Pee-Wee's Big Adventure. excellent.

Pedal? i think. documentary on messengers on the IFC. i saw this during my depression and was somewhat into it. it's fun to see crazy guys in NYC ride like most people shouldn't. we had a vhs copy at the bike shop i worked at, that was fun. i've seen it at powells as a dvd/book set.

I don't think anyone in Goonies was in RAD btw. Lori Laughlin of Full House fame was in RAD however. There is a bike scene in Goonies though. Max Fisher in Rushmore rides his bike everywhere. I think Tom Hanks trackstands in The Man With One Red Shoe, but i haven't seen this since i was a kid, maybe i'm wrong. not a bike movie anyways. lots of bikes in movies, not so many about bikes though.

brock
03-05-2007, 12:20 PM
American Flyers is a horrible movie. Of course, I thought it was the tits as a kid when I was amped about racing.

Breaking Away is amazing. It has a lot of cycling in it, but it's not so much about cycling as it is a story of growing up.

bay2la
03-05-2007, 08:07 PM
oh yeah, i got confused with the guy from "thrashin" which is also a good film. he is the older brother from the goonies.

"bmx bandits" sounds good but i really can't imagine a movie being cheesier than "rad". that sounds worth checking out.

thanks for the recommendations.

anyone seen "bicycle thieves"? it was just released on criterion dvd. sounds cool.

peace.

rainperimeter
03-06-2007, 03:34 PM
"bmx bandits" sounds good but i really can't imagine a movie being cheesier than "rad". that sounds worth checking out.

robbers in halloween masks (us presidents or pigs or both, i forget), bunny hop sound effects, outfits matching bikes (oh, just like the borks now!), a chase scene where the bmx shredders happen to find themselves in line at the top of a waterslide with bikes, etc.

Donald
03-07-2007, 12:07 PM
If I recall, Quicksilver was supposed to be set in NYC, but it's obviously filmed in San Francisco. Inexcusable.

Breaking Away is the gold standard by which all coming of age cycling movies will ever be judged. Writer Steve Tesish, attached to this and American Flyers, was supposedly the inspiration for the lead role. However, I've also heard that an also-ran rider of the late 70s named Tony Comfort may have been the actual inspiration. "Refund??!!!!"

Yeah, so Kevin Costner's mustache is cheesy in American Flyers, but, hey, it's got Rae Don Chong and a who's who of hall of fame cyclists as extras (including Eddie himself). Not to mention some great shots of the roads around Boulder. Anyone who remembers The Red Zinger Classic will get at least a chuckle or two.

And, of course, the (French) granddaddy of all bike movies, Ladri di biciclette. Heartbreaking.

_DA

Elly
03-07-2007, 12:57 PM
Quicksilver might not be the most brilliant piece of cinema ever made, but it's really, really entertaining if you like that sort of thing. It has a couple of extended scenes involving some seriously cool acrobatic tricks done on fixed gears that should not be missed. Great chase scenes, cheesy love story -- it's a pretty fun movie all round.

nuovorecord
03-07-2007, 08:58 PM
anyone seen "bicycle thieves"? it was just released on criterion dvd. sounds cool.

This film is out-frickin-standing! It's heartbreakingly beautiful. It's also known as "The Bicycle Thief." A must-see.

bay2la
03-08-2007, 12:17 PM
yeah i read that "bicycle thieves" is the british translation which is more accurate than the US translation "bicycle thief". thanks for the rec.

biketony
03-09-2007, 10:55 AM
Funny that this thread should appear. Last month, we rented this movie because I suddenly remembered that Bacon was in a 1980s bike-messenger movie. Anyway...it was not Great Cinema. One has a Herculean task to suspend one's disbelief-the 'plot' was so...80s. To be fair, some parts of the movie were a lot of fun. I wish that there had been more bicycle riding scenes, showing (with a dose of romanticism) bike messengers zipping through traffic, intent on beating the clock and showing great riding prowess in the process. My two cents!

dmc
10-22-2011, 07:04 AM
*grabs shovel, rope and lime* errr..... *leaves the rope and lime behind*

*rides bike out into a dark forum graveyard, digs through the night*

Just saw this, awesome!! Anyone see it recently and wanna bs?

wsbob
10-22-2011, 02:02 PM
Saw it a couple months ago. Forgettable. Can't even remember much about the movie. I think it had something to do with romance, with bike couriering as the background.

It was mentioned somewhere else on bikeportland...maybe the main page. Made me recall the movie with Queen Latifah...she goes from being a bike courier...if you're willing to suspend reality and accept that her build will work for that kind of job...to being a special taxi driver. Also a bad movie, but has a hysterically funny, total fantasy bike messenger scene opening sequence that I got a big kick out of.

I haven't seen them, but have heard of a bunch of videos and films of actual bike couriers in action that are simply astonishing. Makes sense that some people could do those sorts of things, riding bikes in the city, in traffic, turning street traffic into a kind of velo-jungle gym, without killing themselves or anyone else.

Apennine
10-23-2011, 05:03 PM
yeah i read that "bicycle thieves" is the british translation which is more accurate than the US translation "bicycle thief". thanks for the rec.

I had to check the original Italian. I could have sworn it was Ladro/singular/thief but it does in fact say Ladri so thieves is correct!