PDA

View Full Version : best fixie for ~$600?

Cowboy_X
02-20-2007, 03:21 PM
My Fuji Track got stolen about a week ago, need a replacement. I've got a bit of disposable income at the moment, and I don't really have the time or inclination to build myself, so I'd like to buy an off-the-shelf replacement.

The Bianchi Pista is the obvious choice, the chrome ones over at River City are purdy. I've heard that for the same price, the Iro Mark V is a better bike, but there aren't any dealers in Portland. Any other notable options that I'm overlooking?

(usage: mostly just tooling around town, occasional long-ish ride; I don't race, not a messenger or anything)

xtown
02-20-2007, 07:32 PM
I think the Bianchi San Jose (~$525) is a much better all-around bike than the Pista -- more comfortable geometry, fender eyelets, larger tires, etc. It comes with a freewheeel, but your dealer could easily swap that for a fixed hub.

rubbish heap
02-20-2007, 09:35 PM
KHS Flite 100 wouldn't be a bad idea. Also, Mercier Kilo TT's are just KHS frames rebadged and those go on eBay for 300 with crap parts but it's a good starting point to upgrade.

All in all though, if you can come across a good road frame on the cheap with quality tubing (Reynolds 531 at the bare minimum), you could easily build a nice conversion for 600 with high quality parts. Likely better than an off-the-shelf Pista.

Sorry to hear about your stolen bike though. Did you have it locked with a U Lock?

Bill Donohue
02-20-2007, 10:16 PM
My Fuji Track got stolen about a week ago, need a replacement. I've got a bit of disposable income at the moment, and I don't really have the time or inclination to build myself, so I'd like to buy an off-the-shelf replacement.

The Bianchi Pista is the obvious choice, the chrome ones over at River City are purdy. I've heard that for the same price, the Iro Mark V is a better bike, but there aren't any dealers in Portland. Any other notable options that I'm overlooking?

(usage: mostly just tooling around town, occasional long-ish ride; I don't race, not a messenger or anything)

www.hollywoodcycling.net

fetishridr
02-21-2007, 09:21 PM
i'd try the langster, specialized knows whats up. the 07 colors are crappy. look for an 06. its around 600

huss
02-22-2007, 12:40 AM
check out this one from SE Racing........... http://www.sebikes.com/2007/bike-detail.asp?id=20

I bought a pista last year, love the steel frame over the langster, but this looks nice, has both brakes and sealed hubs. Thier other model the draft , I dont think it has sealed hubs, but is realy cheap. That shop also sells FUJI.

Val
02-22-2007, 09:00 AM
How about the Redline 925? Review here: http://commutebybike.com/2006/11/09/redline-925-review/ Fenders & freewheel, and street legal, too.

DJoos
02-22-2007, 08:18 PM
for $670, if you are willing to go that high, the 2007 Lemond Fillmore looks pretty nice.

Cowboy_X
02-25-2007, 11:24 PM
thanks for the tips everyone!

Rubbish Heap: It was in the locked "bike room" at my apartment building, wheel locked to frame but nothing in the room to lock it to. sighz

NwNewell
03-02-2007, 08:05 AM
Over at the Recyclery they have a few fixies that they have built. Around $500 I think.