PDA

View Full Version : are cars allowed to use the H.A.W.K. signal at 41st and e. burnside?

ben
02-13-2007, 05:22 PM
lately i've been seeing multiple cars approach this intersection on 41st and activate the bike/pedestrian signal by having a passenger roll down their window or even get out.

does anyone know if this is legal?

as the months go by, i've been noticing it happen more and more on my commute to/from work.
...which makes me think it will only encourage more car traffic on the bike route.

rainperimeter
02-14-2007, 01:44 AM
i'm not sure about that. what would they be by-passing going through that windy bit of neighborhood?

i am sure that in the little over a month since i've moved out to 75th and started crossing burnside at 41st, i've seen maybe a half dozen cars blow through the red as folks hurry home and i trudge to work. assholes.

ben
02-14-2007, 05:28 AM
yeah....i've seen that a lot too.
even though i have the green, i always keep checking L and R as i proceed through slowly.
i shouldn't have to, but i've seen wayyyy to many cars blow the red seconds after the signal has switched.

i know SOME of the cars that have been activating the signal actually LIVE in the neighborhood (though i doubt ALL of them do). the red subaru outback i saw do it yesterday lives about 3 blocks away. the couple appeared to be amused/giddy about utilizing the bike/ped signal to get their car across burnside.

donnambr
04-11-2007, 05:41 PM
Sort of on this subject, has anyone else notices how more and more cars run the red light on Burnside? Even Tri-Met buses are doing it now.

tvhwy
04-11-2007, 08:11 PM
Cute. :rolleyes:

I think it can only help us cyclists, though. As the light gets activated more often, regular drivers on Burnside are more likely to be prepared to stop. If anyone should be upset, it's the 41st Avenue residents, who may be getting more auto traffic.

I wonder if we can get, say, three or four squad cars at that intersection to do a sting for cars running red lights?

donnambr
04-11-2007, 10:29 PM
Actually, I have been noticing that the longer the light has been around, the more motorists are running it when it is red.

rainperimeter
04-12-2007, 03:56 AM
yeah. i've still been using that light on the way to work the last couple months and will be for as long as i'm working where i'm working. cars on burnside blow through it i'd say 4 days of the week out of 5. pretty out of control. what gives? as you approach there are FOUR red lights set up in a pretty non-traditional pattern. very noticeable.

add on: no one should need to "get used to it" being there. if you drive to a part of town you've never been to, or another town, or out of state, you're not given any slack with stop lights then. you can't run reds because you're unfamiliar with an intersection or a stretch of road. red is red. it wasn't there a few months ago (how long now?) but it is now. stop for it.

JayS.
04-12-2007, 09:56 AM
This seems like a prime location to call the city and ask for an enforcement action like yesterday in Ladd's or coming off the springwater. If you see this happening please call and complain.

JayS.

donnambr
04-12-2007, 05:27 PM
I did. Nada.

rainperimeter
04-13-2007, 03:24 AM
i'm far too cynical to think that calling the cops is going to solve shit. i posted a story in here about being assaulted by a driver who nearly hit my friend and i, and the cop who showed up basically turned the situation on me. they're not gonna do anything for us.

rainperimeter
04-15-2007, 10:30 PM
this evening on the way home from dinner my girlfriend and i rode through this intersection. we hit the button, because it's fun, and waited for the light to change. a pick-up was hauling ass eastbound on burnside. we thought he might not stop despite the 4 red lights he's looking at. he came to a fairly abrupt stop, surprisingly, because we were convinced he wasn't stopping. we start to roll through. no sooner am i just past the center of the street he drives right through the red! they don't flash. total bullshit. if there had been a biker trailing us...