PDA

View Full Version : insurance settlements

monsieurcris
02-13-2007, 04:16 PM
My GF got hit by a car last spring. Emergency room, severely sprained ankle, badly bruised leg, 1 week off of work, crutches for 6 weeks, still some occasional pain. The insurance has settled for her totaled bike already, but now theyre talking about her settlement for pain, lost work time, etc. Has anyone out there done this part? How bad were you injured and what did you settle for? She has already talked to a lawyer and he said she didnt need one, so were just wanting to see what others have gotten. Thanks!

Attornatus_Oregonensis
02-13-2007, 08:06 PM
I have done this. I represented a friend who got hit. They paid for his bike immediately then kept low-balling him on the medical/pain and suffering. Also, the lawyer you talked to is a total idiot; he/she didn't want to go through the process of giving advice because at this stage there is no money for the lawyer; this is probably an ethical violation. What is it worth in monetary terms (so base, this "translation") to her to have all this pain? I'd suggest talking to someone else experienced at personal injury. If you want to ask any specific questions, feel free to email me privately.

Simple Nature
02-13-2007, 09:13 PM
Here is a quote from BROL on a recent Portland area incident that may prove useful... or not... but here it is:

"...let me also add that we have a bicycle attorney in the portland area. last name is thomas. go to any bike shop and they can tell you who he is. he also advertises in the portland wheelman newsletter,"quick releases"..."

vseven
02-13-2007, 09:57 PM
AO, all I can say is you rock.
From a member of the tribe.....who does not charge.
Pedal on dude, and safely.

manfred8
02-14-2007, 08:02 AM
I was hit by an off duty Gresham cop in 2001, he ran a stop sign. My injuries were not too bad, a lot of bruising on one side of my body. Out of work for 2 weeks, they replaced the bike, $2500. Lost work time, $3,000, and $4500 for pain.

Hope this gives you some help.

Tom
SE Portland