PDA

View Full Version : Google Map options

Go Canucks
02-13-2007, 08:56 AM
I was using a cool version of a Goggle map for cycle tour route planning but can't seem to find the link anymore.

What made this certain form unique for distance measurement was, instead of drawing a straight line between 2 click points on a road map, it would draw a curved line that would follow a winding mountain road. In Gmaps Pedometer you have to click many times to follow a curved road to get relative distance.

Short description of tool:
Click between 2 points on a curved road and the distance marker would snap to follow the curved road.

Thanks!

nishiki
02-13-2007, 02:59 PM
Have you tried bikely.com?

great great tool

NEPcyclistic
02-14-2007, 02:50 PM
Have you tried bikely.com?

great great tool

i think the mileage on bikely is wrong to. The map i followed was 11 miles off.

lynnef
02-14-2007, 04:17 PM
I was using a cool version of a Goggle map for cycle tour route planning but can't seem to find the link anymore.

What made this certain form unique for distance measurement was, instead of drawing a straight line between 2 click points on a road map, it would draw a curved line that would follow a winding mountain road. In Gmaps Pedometer you have to click many times to follow a curved road to get relative distance.

Short description of tool:
Click between 2 points on a curved road and the distance marker would snap to follow the curved road.

Thanks!
bikely doesn't do the curved road thing. Works just like gmaps in that instance.

Go Canucks
02-18-2007, 10:27 PM
I found the Google Map tool that gives you the option of following a curved or winding road for route planning. Check out http://www.toporoute.com/index.htm

Check the box "Follow Road" and it will change a straight line between 2 distance points to follow the path of a winding road. Great for those mountain switch back routes!

Dan