PDA

View Full Version : Bottom Bracket

Spinner
02-06-2007, 05:26 AM
Can someone tell me what benefit there is to upgrading to a good quality bottom bracket on an entry level bike?

Thanks in advance

brock
02-06-2007, 09:30 AM
I would think there's very little benefit, unless you are very heavy - a better BB would flex less, but frame stiffness and crankset are going to effect this more if that's the case.

Val
02-06-2007, 09:39 AM
Really, the most noticeable difference in the quality of bottom brackets is longevity - better quality will last longer. Realistically, wear out the stock one, then upgrade.

Spinner
02-06-2007, 11:09 AM
Cool, that's what I wanted to find out. I'm not a mechanic & didn't know if there was a benefit to upgrading other then longevity.

rubbish heap
02-06-2007, 06:20 PM
Is the one you have making squeaky or otherwise strange noises? If so, ditch it for a new one. Shimano UN52/53/54 is not a bad BB for the price, sealed too.

Spinner
02-07-2007, 03:38 PM
RH,
I'm not having problems with my bb, I just bought a new Bianchi Avenue. It's just an entry level bike, but I like it for the steel frame, and upright riding position. Mechanically speaking...I don't know much about bikes, so I was looking for advice on whether a bb upgrade has any benefits, since all the components on the bike are low end components. :cool:

brock
02-07-2007, 03:58 PM
I wouldn't touch anything on that bike, seems solid. Spend any 'upgrade' money on all the extras - u-lock, fenders, a good fitting helmet, lots of lights, etc. Have fun!

NEPcyclistic
02-08-2007, 12:14 PM
I wouldn't touch anything on that bike, seems solid. Spend any 'upgrade' money on all the extras - u-lock, fenders, a good fitting helmet, lots of lights, etc. Have fun!

Exactly, thats great advice. Wear out the stock components first, then upgrade.

Spinner
02-08-2007, 04:02 PM
Cool. Thanks Brock and NEPcyclistic. I think I'll take your advice and just wait for all the stock components to wear out before replacing them.

It's good to know the upgrades I was considering, aren't really necessary and I don't have to spend any money in that area. I have a couple of locks already, but definately could use some lights.