PDA

View Full Version : Poll: Milwaukie riders?

Suburban
02-05-2007, 10:27 AM
As you well know, Milwaukie is revamping its Transportation Master Plan (as is Portland ) and I would like to know if there are any cycleists who
A: ride in Milwaukie, not just past it on the Trail.
B: would give some of their time to attending a meeting or writing a letter to the City. It would seem redundant to have a BikeMilwaukie.org, so thanks for letting us hard pedalin' suburbanites coat tail on this fine forum.

fetishridr
02-05-2007, 11:06 AM
i ride down river road and oatfield quite a bit. an extension of that little path would be nice. although river road isnt bad.

Hollisimo
02-05-2007, 04:33 PM
I also ride through Milwaukie and especially on the wide bike lane along River Road-- one of the most thoughtful bike lanes around is where River Rd. turns right onto Glen Echo in a continuous curve separate from auto traffic, allowing bikes safe passage without having to interact with cars at all. I always muse to myself how awesome that is before cursing the crappy bike lane/shoulder as River Rd. continues south through the backside of the McLoughlin auto empire. I suppose that's getting more into Gladstone, though.

Suburban
02-11-2007, 10:38 AM
Civic involvement for Milwaukie riders usually means trying to keep from being turned into street pizza. This is a city where the pedestrians have to wear red flashrs to feel safe- where multi-modal transportation usually means cars chrucks, or freight. My point is, there is a long way to go in street planning and design, before we can even get to the luxury of bike sensors, lockes or dedicated routs, and we could use some help and involvement.
Is this what portland was like 25 years ago?

LongRider#107
02-15-2007, 05:23 AM
Why, yes, it was. Big, open grates, cars parked in the few bike lanes, police disinterested in concerns. Yes, it was.
I ride Milwaukie often. My riding partners live in Oak Grove and Gladstone, so I am there often. Other than Oatfield and River, I do not feel comfortable, as there are many rough areas of roadway, shoulders disappear, drivers are pushy & speedy. I really watch intently for cross traffic at many of the intersections. I sometimes get out into the car lane just so they get a better look at my rate of oncoming speed, especially going downhill from Oak Grove Blvd, where I can reach the speed limit and not hold up following traffic until I can safely get into the wider lane at the bottom of the hill.

Matt P.
02-22-2007, 01:12 PM
Suburban - contact me at "matt" "dot" "picio" "at" "gmail.com". For the last 2-1/2 years I lived in and just south of Milwaukie and rode Oatfield, Lake, downtown, McLoughlin and SE 17th. I've moved, but I now ride Milwaukie on the Springwater, and on Witchita, Linnwood, King, Stanley and other streets. I'd VERY much like to get involved in their master plan. Thanks.