PDA

View Full Version : 112 and Marine

Donald
01-26-2007, 10:49 AM
A few nights ago I was driving in the middle of a line of cars headed east under the 205 and at the last minute noticed that the oncoming traffic had stopped to let a couple of joggers and a bike into the crosswalk. I tapped my brakes but was committed due to the semi behind me and had to keep going, to the obvious displeasure of the folks trying to cross. Luckily, they were still holding on the north side of the crossing.

Coming at that intersection eastbound in the dark, it is extremely hard to see folks trying to cross. If I'm the first in a line of traffic, I get it down to about 30 or so and try to have a good look, but it's not that easy if you're in a line and dealing with the glare from westbound headlights.

My observation is that the blinking lights at that crosswalk should be user-activated so that drivers don't get used to seeing them blink all the time. This works really well at the parking lot further west of there.

I understand that there was a tragic cycling accident at the 205 crossing, but I really think having those yellows flashing 24/7 is counter-productive to the safety of those using that crossing.

NEPcyclistic
01-26-2007, 12:37 PM
A few nights ago I was driving in the middle of a line of cars headed east under the 205 and at the last minute noticed that the oncoming traffic had stopped to let a couple of joggers and a bike into the crosswalk. I tapped my brakes but was committed due to the semi behind me and had to keep going, to the obvious displeasure of the folks trying to cross. Luckily, they were still holding on the north side of the crossing.

Coming at that intersection eastbound in the dark, it is extremely hard to see folks trying to cross. If I'm the first in a line of traffic, I get it down to about 30 or so and try to have a good look, but it's not that easy if you're in a line and dealing with the glare from westbound headlights.

My observation is that the blinking lights at that crosswalk should be user-activated so that drivers don't get used to seeing them blink all the time. This works really well at the parking lot further west of there.

I understand that there was a tragic cycling accident at the 205 crossing, but I really think having those yellows flashing 24/7 is counter-productive to the safety of those using that crossing.

Those yellow flashing lights are user activate, they are activate by motion sensors that detect the peds and cyclists alike.

Donald
01-26-2007, 02:02 PM
Those yellow flashing lights are user activate, they are activate by motion sensors that detect the peds and cyclists alike.

I just rode out there to check and I don't see any pickups that would accutate the light (it was going the entire time I was there and I was the only one around). And I drive that section quite a bit from post-midnight to mid-day and they're always going. The lights at the parking lot at the entrance to the park are user-actuated, but I'm almost certain that the lights at 112 are 24/7.

If they're not, then something's really wrong with the pickups.

NEPcyclistic
01-26-2007, 02:19 PM
I just rode out there to check and I don't see any pickups that would accutate the light (it was going the entire time I was there and I was the only one around). And I drive that section quite a bit from post-midnight to mid-day and they're always going. The lights at the parking lot at the entrance to the park are user-actuated, but I'm almost certain that the lights at 112 are 24/7.

If they're not, then something's really wrong with the pickups.

you know what your right. Thats my fault. Its the flashing lights down towards 33rd and marine drive.

Thats strange though, you'd think they would have the same system for the 205 and marine drive bike path.

tao
01-26-2007, 02:23 PM
There are motion sensor like devices on the posts. But it seems to me, the light is flashing all the time. Maybe there's problem with the motion sensors.

bikieboy
01-27-2007, 04:18 PM
Donald, sounds like a fairly serious problem you've observed. I'd call the city's traffic safety number (503-823-SAFE) and let them know.

I don't think there's ever been a bike or ped fatality associated with this crossing..?

BillD
01-27-2007, 08:49 PM
Here are some contact Phone Numbers (http://www.portlandonline.com/transportation/index.cfm?c=35721&a=60935#How%20to%20Contact%20Us:) for Traffic Signal Maintenance.

Bill