PDA

View Full Version : Glass on Hawthorne Bridge - Volunteer with a broom needed

Michael
02-21-2006, 06:51 PM
Yesterday and today there were patches of broken glass on the south/eastbound side of the Hawthorne Bridge. Yesterday I managed to sweep most of it off into the river with my shoes. Regardless, I saw one rider who got a flat anyway. Today there was much too much glass in 2 places and I only got some of it off.

I am a walker across the bridge and cannot manage to carry a broom to work and home again with which to sweep off the glass. Perhaps someone who can carry a broom tomorrow might do so and sweep up the rest of the glass? It is on the east half over the river on the eastbound side.

I am not bothering to ask Multnomah County.

Do you think someone has done this 2 days in a row as to sabatage the bikes?

JessicaRoberts
02-22-2006, 08:34 AM
Why are you specifically not asking the county? I mean, I'm all for making things happen the grassroots style, but I also think it's good to use the resources we have.

In case anyone else is interested in contacting Multnomah County about this bridge or any of their other facilities (e.g. the Morrison Bridge, the Burnside Bridge, or the Sauvie Island Bridge), call Matt Larsen at 503-988-5050x29640.

Michael
02-22-2006, 09:23 AM
I did not ask the county because:

1 - I thought it would take too long to get the glass swept up resulting in more flats

2 - I like the idea of taking care of ourselves in a grass roots way

That's all. No big "issues."