PDA

View Full Version : What's my next bike?

groundshero
01-14-2007, 07:07 AM
I do a 20mi r/t commute 4 times a week. Plus grocery shopping and errands on the weekends. Right now I'm doing it on a 3-speed Biria. I've had to beef it up some to get the work done, but at 2700+ miles its still going ok. A work horse.

But in March, after a year of commuting I want to move up.

So give me your recommendations for a durable, versatile, good-looking commuter bike with more than 3 speeds.

Or, steer me away from junk, please.

donnambr
01-14-2007, 09:43 AM
Do you want to stay on an upright bike or not? Do you like internal gearing or are you wanting to go derailleur? How much do you want to spend?

groundshero
01-14-2007, 11:11 AM
I'm upright now, but I've noticed the limitations. I could go either way on this.

I like the convenience of internal gears, with city stop&go riding, but I would like the luxury of a wider range of gears than I've got now.

Budget...hmmm...this will be The Bike, so $1500 (if necessary), including rack, bags, fenders, lights.

donnambr
01-14-2007, 03:22 PM
I've had a Breezer (http://www.breezerbikes.com/bikes.cfm) since April and I love it. I understand that there will be some different features in the 2007 models that come out in March. The range of the premium Nexus 8 works well for me, although as my physical ability improves, I think I will be changing cog wheels. It's a real pleasure to ride.

norse rider
01-14-2007, 05:59 PM
This is just my two cents....I would look at any number of cross bikes that are available. Fenders fit real well and you can fit different tire sizes depending on your preference. I am a fan of the drop handle bars as with commuting I find speed can be your best friend at times. Most cross bikes with fenders and good tires will test that $1500 limit but with enough test rides you should find one that strikes your fancy. Good luck with your search and ride safe!

donnambr
01-15-2007, 08:55 AM
Incidentally, you can put a Nexus 8 on a Surly Cross-Check frame.

DJoos
01-15-2007, 08:56 AM
I commute on a cross bike, it works great. It has rack braze-ons and room for fenders. Keep in mind though that most cross bikes only run a "double" crank set, this limits the low gears, but it will still offer more than a 3 speed. I ride mine over the west hills everyday with out much problem.

J-On-Bike
01-16-2007, 11:48 AM
I'm no gearhead - but the BIANCHI "Cross-Terrain" line seems to offer a nice variety of bikes that would fit a practical commuter within your budget. bianchiusa.com

Some come standard with fenders, racks, etcetera. I leave it to the gear-heads to evaluate the quality of the components, etcetera....

djkenny
01-16-2007, 10:53 PM
The Surly Cross Check with some internal gearing would be a neat upgrade of sorts. You can get as fancy as you like with building one.

There are two internal gear bikes that I quite liked before settling on a clean used flat bar cross bike ala GT Nomad. (another route you 2 could take...a flat bar bike with plenty of gears and trigger shifters)

The Biancho Bergamo had a nfity set up with the internal gears. More gears than your current ride. Otherwise likely pretty similar, a little less upright likely. They go for under $600 in some shops, a little over $600 in others.
http://bianchiusa.com/07_bergamo.html

Also you have the Breezer line to consider, but I think they are only so much better than the bike you have right now, if not almost identical really.

Recently Specialized brought back the neat commuter line "Globe" with 8 spd hubs. Several models to choose and a nice mid to high level model in the $500-750 range. Rear rack, fenders, etc are all included.

Again, unless you are looking for a more road bikey style, or a cross style...these commuter bikes are not all that different than the Brivia... with the exception of some extra gears.

mike_khad1
01-27-2007, 09:37 PM
I'd look into the Bianchi Volpe - It looks like a good value light touring bike. You can outfit fenders, racks, etc.

groundshero
03-26-2007, 09:24 AM
I ended up getting a Burley Harlow.

It's a sweet cross bike, a piece of Oregon bike history, and now a killer commuter. (It's a combo of the best features of your suggestions. Thanks)

Mark, the terrific mechanic over at GATEWAY Bicycle, built some 36 spoke (Velocity rim) wheels to handle my loads, including a dynamo front hub, added a rack, increased the size of the big ring, and fenders.

See y'all out there.

norse rider
04-06-2007, 08:33 PM
Burley is SWEEEEET! Great choice. The old saying is true; steel is real.
We would love photos and a full report of how your new ride is treating you!

pdxtex
04-26-2007, 05:22 AM
if speed and comfort are your priorities, drop 300 bucks on a good road bike off craigslist, put another 200 into rack, fender, and bag options, and keep the extra 1000....no need to spend lots of dough to get a nice rig....