PDA

View Full Version : Who's riding a Trek Portland?

Easy Rider
12-16-2006, 08:41 PM
How do you like it? How's the disc brakes? I'm seriouly thinking about getting one for commuting. Right now it's a toss up between the Portland, the Bianchi Axis and the Felt F1X. I'm leaning toward the Portland though.
Thanks,
Gordon

Attornatus_Oregonensis
12-17-2006, 03:19 PM
I'm riding one. I absolutely love it. Sometimes, I'm amazed that it took this long for someone to make a lightweight road bike that also has disc brakes and fits both fenders and a good rack. It really is the ideal commuter... I can stop virtually instantly, which I love.

A guy posted on here about two months ago saying that his disc brakes were defective and were replaced at no charge. I occasionally have some trouble with my front deraileur, but nothing serious. Others?

vseven
12-18-2006, 07:39 AM
I am riding a Portland also. And I am also the "guy" who had trouble with a defective brake ( though I am a gal.......) I love the bike but I am very disappointed with Trek for sizing the frame for a woman then putting men's parts on it that I needed to switch out, adding an extra $300 to the cost of the bike.

50 cm frame with a sloping top tube fit my standover 29cm requirements. I needed to switch out the crankarms, handle bars, stem and saddle. Shame on you Trek.

Anyone know about touch up paint for this bike ?

Attornatus_Oregonensis
12-18-2006, 08:41 AM
Sorry about that, gal. It does seem as though they should offer male- and female-specific parts for the frame sizes that overlap between men and women, which I would gather is a good portion of them. Is this problem specific to Trek, or the Portland, or do you ladies generally have this problem?

lynnef
12-18-2006, 09:31 AM
I can't speak for all ladies :-) but I've had that problem - bought a Lemond Zurich Women's model in 2003. Had to get narrower handlebars, new, shorter stem, and a new seatpost. The handlebars that came with the Lemond were no narrower than the original equipment handlebars that came with my early 80's Sekai.

vseven
12-18-2006, 10:16 AM
Well A.O. , the climate for women is improving but yes, this is a common problem with stock bikes. My first 2 road bikes were custom out of sheer necessity. The Portland is the only stock bike I have purchased other than mountain bikes. The women specific design on the carbon Treks, the Madone are better sized and have more appropriate sizing ( i.e the 46 cm frame with 650 c wheel probably has a 165 crank arm) but I bet the handle bar would still have to be switched out for some. There are more and more women specific designs every year so let's police the parts :)

But let's not dwell on the negative, the Portland is a very sweet ride and I am proud to have one. It's not just for commuting either, I saw several on this year's Cycle Oregon !

steelsreal
12-20-2006, 12:10 PM
Trek actually makes Womens bikes equipped with smaller sized parts at nearly every price point. The Lemond WSD bikes are also equipped with different parts than the comparable mens frames.

The Trek Portland is a unisex frame. Plenty of men ride a 50 cm frame, it is in no way a womens size...

There is no big bad conspiracy against women here. The opposite is true. The industry is bending over backwards to cater to women. I would love it if every 56cm frame came with the right bar width, seatpost offset, crank arm length and stem lenth/rise for my size.

Come to think of it they should all have my favorite seat as well. Newsflash, they don't! Shame on the industry for not catering to my special needs as an empowered man!

The truth is everyone is different. Very few people fit correctly on a bike with stock parts. Stems need swapped on virtually every bicycle. This is not a women/men thing it is a people thing. We are all different. Plenty of women have large hands, long torsos and wide shoulders. Throw in some long femurs and a WSD bike would be torture for her.

The cost of offering every bike in a womens and mens frame is too much for the industry to bear. Especially on niche bikes like the Portland. At $1499 it is already pretty spendy for a commuter bike. Producing different frame geometries at every size jumps the manufacturing costs way up. Then you are paying a few hundred more for your womens bike and half the parts will still be the wrong size. All the mens models now cost more too and suddenly the Portland is not profitable and never leaves the design department. If the bike is popular enough and in demand we may see a WSD Portland in the future.

As far as I can tell Trek produces more women specific bikes than any other company. They actually alter the frame geometry as well as adding smaller components. So I think saying "shame on Trek" is a little over the top.

How about shame on you for inserting gender warfare into our biking bliss?

vseven
12-20-2006, 12:34 PM
Ouch ! you have a nice day too, and please pedal safely.

nishiki
12-20-2006, 12:39 PM
steelsreal,

You got it completely right! There are no stock bikes out there that fits everyone perfectly! You can t have a bike out there for every kind of people: the very tall, the very short, the chinese women, the dutch rugby player... the list could go on for ever!

Manufacturers try to make models that will accomodate as many clients as possible; simple economics.

jami
01-20-2007, 04:15 PM
holy moly. just seeing what the history was with steelsreal going mildly ape on feminists here. i think he would be pretty mad indeed if bikes were designed primarily with women in mind, and he would indeed insist that more bikes be made to fit him. luckily for him and sadly for vseven and the rest of us, in reality, bikes are designed for men. women are an afterthought, if we're lucky (sweetpea cycles being a really nice new exception!).

i've also noticed that even using my feminine, ending-in-i first name and with portland cyclists being a pretty progressive bunch, most of the folks here assume i'm male.

Johnny X
01-21-2007, 05:30 PM
you sure you know which of us is over the top and is a wee bit unstable?

Yes. Me! :o :D

vseven
01-21-2007, 05:43 PM
So refreshing to see someone who doesn't take himself soooooooo seriously.. . Now for the BIG question you all... ya think Steely boy has the testicular fortitude to reveal what bike shop he works at (or at least claims to ?) Me thinks not..... but he will in a very verbose way explain why not ( tee hee... )

Johnny X
01-21-2007, 08:49 PM
So refreshing to see someone who doesn't take himself soooooooo seriously.. . Now for the BIG question you all... ya think Steely boy has the testicular fortitude to reveal what bike shop he works at (or at least claims to ?) Me thinks not..... but he will in a very verbose way explain why not ( tee hee... )

:) Thanks!

Yes I think he will.

steelsreal
01-22-2007, 10:12 AM
You get Jami to sign a statement saying she wont try to have me fired and I will happily tell!

Thanks for the humor by the way. I am waaaaay tired of the drama.

vseven
01-22-2007, 11:04 AM
I don't think anyone wants to do anyone else harm XOXO
Words hurt more than we know sometimes....
I only want to know who Steely Boy is in case I DO know who you are or in case you could figure out who I am !!!

Hint.....if you work for the BG it won't be hard for either of us :)

steelsreal
01-22-2007, 11:21 AM
Sadly, it is not you I am worried about! Even though we were in disagreement, no personal attacks were launched between us.

Someone else on here seems to be very quick to hurl insults and question others temperment. I am not sure I want someone who thinks I am a danger to others based solely on my words, to know where I work!

vseven
01-22-2007, 11:31 AM
Dude, that was me that hurled the protective order (bad) joke......
OOPS ! another clue, now you know where I work:eek:

steelsreal
01-22-2007, 11:37 AM
I am so sorry I confused your words with hers.

I still like arguing with you better though... Not that either of you should care!

All of this remorse and forgiveness is sooo cathartic. I feel born again!

vseven
01-22-2007, 11:44 AM
Gawd....get a room or something

Now I really am going to get back to work, I fear we are hogging the spotlight and annoying others. It's been fun, see ya.