PDA

View Full Version : Trainer Advice

andrew
11-30-2006, 10:06 AM
A friend gave me a bike trainer -- one that uses wind for resistance -- and I'm digging riding indoors when the weather is bad. But, as you know, it's loud. Really quite loud. Does anyone have any experience with how much quieter a magnetic of fluid trainer would be? I'm not looking for silent, but something less than cacophony would be nice. I'm actually biking while wearing noise-canceling headphones right now.

Thanks!

steelsreal
11-30-2006, 11:28 AM
Magnetic and fluid filled will be much, much quieter. Most of them will also increase resistance when you ramp up your watts. They will provide a more realistic ride than the wind trainers.

Rollers are the best in my opinion, though they require a lot more skill and concentration.

brock
11-30-2006, 11:38 AM
Mag and Fluid trainers will be a lot quieter, but by no means silent. Just the bike itself and the wheels moving can make a good bit of noise. I'd say check out a bike store and ask to put your bike on one of theirs to see how it sounds.

Though, I agree with steel that rollers are the bomb, and if you already have the fan would make a better compliment - rollers for longer aerobic and LT work, fan for hard intervals.

andrew
11-30-2006, 12:02 PM
Thanks to both of you! I'll check out some other options. I like the cost of the one I have (free) but it does make one heck of a racket.

brock
12-05-2006, 09:52 AM
Thanks to both of you! I'll check out some other options. I like the cost of the one I have (free) but it does make one heck of a racket.

Another thing that adds to the noise is the big-assed fan you'll want to set up directly in front of the bike, otherwise you'll overheat in five minutes. :)

andrew
12-05-2006, 12:30 PM
Another thing that adds to the noise is the big-assed fan you'll want to set up directly in front of the bike, otherwise you'll overheat in five minutes. :)

Yeah, I've noticed that. Although it does create the illusion of working my butt off even when I've only been pedaling casually for a few minutes. :)