PDA

View Full Version : why do my front brake pads squeak so loud?

ben
11-20-2006, 02:26 PM
not always, but most of the time.
ever since the rainy season hit.

my bike is only a few months old.
the brakes are shimano tiagra.

why are just the front ones squeaking?

i've cleaned my rims and adjusted the cables, but still it's there.
it's such an awfully loud squeal too.

what do i need to do to make it stop.?
the brake pads work totally fine....i just hate the noise.
makes riding less fun. :(

suggestions?

nuovorecord
11-20-2006, 03:17 PM
Use some sandpaper or emery cloth to scuff up the braking surfaces of the pads. In wet weather, the pads often get coated with oily residue that reduces their effectiveness and can lead to noise. Also, use denatured alcohol to clean the rims. Very effective and leaves no residue.

If that doesn'f fix the problem, check the alignment of the brake pads relative to the rim. The leading edge of the brake pad should come in contact with the rim first. Sight down from the top of the brake caliper to check. If it needs adjustment, what has worked for me is to remove the pad and use a crescent wrench (8" or larger) to tweak the caliper. Be gentle...don't use too much force.

bikieboy
11-20-2006, 04:19 PM
Somebody posted this link to the Park tool site the other day:

http://www.parktool.com/repair/

Seemed like pretty useful stuff, may be worth a look to see what they say about brakes squeel --- tho i think NuRec hit it with the brake pad toe-in analysis.

DJoos
11-22-2006, 11:43 PM
It sounds like you need to adjust the "toe-in", as nuovorecord described. If that doesn't work or the noise gets louder (like a banshee screaming) it could be a bad bushing. Shimano brakes generaly have long lasting bushings but, Tiagra is pretty bottom rung so don't be surprised if that is the case. Most likely; it is just a toe-in issue, easy fix. Cleaning your rims with a fine steal wool helps too.