PDA

View Full Version : Biking near Rockaway Beach

CapnSnarls
11-16-2006, 02:36 PM
I'm going to be staying at a house on Rockaway Beach over the long thanksgiving weekend. I dunno if I can spend 4 days away from my bike so I'm hoping one of you can tell me about a good ride I could take in that area. Or if you don't know of anything specific at least tell me that roads in the area have a good shoulder to ride on.

thanks!

bikieboy
11-17-2006, 01:33 PM
Cap'n, for ridin' 'round Rockaway, there's a couple of really good rides.

You can go south along 101 to Tillammok, then out along the south side of Tillamook Bay to (& over) Cape Meares, thru ever-so-charming Oceanside and Netarts, then loop back to Tillamook on Netarts Rd., & north back home. About 40 plus miles, i'd guess. Can be lengthened by 20 some miles if you want to continue south over Cape Lookout, a fairly wicked climb.

option 2 is going north on 101 to Wheeler/Nehalem, then inland to the Miami River Rd., south on it back to 101, then north a few miles to Rockaway. 30 miles, I'd guess -- could be lengthened by 10 miles or so with a side trip into Manzanita, or out to Nehalem Bay State Park.

I recall that 101 has a good shoulder, at least gong southbound. Check out the coast bike route map on ODOT's website, as it has shoulder width info:

http://www.oregon.gov/ODOT/HWY/BIKEPED/maps.shtml

have a great ride ---!

bikieboy
11-17-2006, 01:36 PM
hey, I swear "Rockaway Beach" used to be called just "Rockaway" not so many years ago..?

CapnSnarls
11-17-2006, 04:50 PM
Thanks bikieboy, that is just what I was looking for! I had forgotten about the bike route maps at the ODOT site.