PDA

View Full Version : flashed by a speed checker?

ben
11-15-2006, 12:21 PM
has this happened to anyone else (jokes aside)?

i almost forgot about this until i was reminded by a conversation i had today with my co-workers:

about a month or two ago, i was riding to work.
i was heading north on NE 102nd and took a right on Halsey into the bike lane.
about 1/2 block down, i was briefly blinded for a couple of seconds by this MASSIVE flash of light.
turns out it was a van that was parked on the side of the road.
it had your current speed posted on the back of the van.
apparently a big bulb would flash if you were speeding.
(i have no idea if it was actually equipped with a camera).
because a car was speeding as i passed the van, the light flashed when i was approximately 3 feet or so away (hence my perception of it being massive ...and being unable to see anything for a couple of seconds).

honestly it was pretty scary. i just slowed down and pulled off to the sidewalk.

does anyone know if theres anyone i could call and possibly discuss this matter with? someone that could possibly brainstorm a way NOT to place it directly next to a bike lane.....cuz i doubt PPD will think i'm justified for leaving my bike lane next time i encounter a speed checker.

PoPo
11-15-2006, 04:45 PM
You might call the Portland Police Traffic Division. They are the ones who operate the photoradar vans.

I never thought about the bright flash shocking passing bikers (the traffic division might not have either), and that seems like a very reasonable reason to avoid the bike lane near one. Just be careful not to get mowed down by a speeder roaring by on your left!

Simple Nature
11-15-2006, 05:36 PM
Why not see if Bikewonder (forum user) can get a word in with the city/police? I would think she's 'connected' with a little more influence in how these radar units are used. Bike lanes are suppose to be sacred from being used for general parking by anyone.

ben
11-15-2006, 07:15 PM
Bike lanes are suppose to be sacred from being used for general parking by anyone.

there is street parking to the right of the bike....just the flash came from the rear left of the van. so basically, right in my eyes as i rode by.

TCR Punk
11-19-2006, 11:27 AM
I think your SOL. (shit out of luck)