PDA

View Full Version : Fixie info prices?

Dilla
11-14-2006, 08:49 PM
I rencently moved to portland and have been riding alot more so i was looking at upgrading my bike or possibly buying a new one. I have a old school raleigh 10 speed thats kind of heavy so i was thinking of converting it to a fixed gear to lighten it up for some speed. I was just hoping to get some info on how much that might cost me and if its even worth it. any help would be greatly appriciated = )

huss
11-20-2006, 04:39 AM
Well you can convert your rear rim ($20 bucks or so) or I saw a used track rim with flip flop hub the other day about $70.00. If you havent been to sheldon browns site check it out. www.sheldonbrown.com

brock
11-20-2006, 09:53 AM
While converting a bike to fixed will save a little weight, it won't translate into speed as you hope. Speed is having the right gear. That said, fixies are fun, simple, solid, and require little tinkering once set up.

One thing to check is your rear dropouts - are they verticle (the rear wheel slips into the dropout and is in one place) or are they horizontal (once in the dropout, the wheel can slide a few centimeters forward or backward)? If they are horizontal you'll have a much easier time with the chain tension; verticle will likely mean making gear compromizes or require a chain tensioner.

fetishridr
11-22-2006, 12:56 PM
old bikes are great, if they have horizontal dropouts. look at your bike, do they point down, diagnol, or are they horizontal. this allows for direct transmission of power from your massive quads and glutes to your drivetrain. a chain tensioner is dicey, especially if riding with a stick for brakes. there are now many track bikes being offered for around 450 -600 for a complete bike.
these bikes also use at least a 3/32 chain, or even an 1/8th. when you ride one of these you will feel the difference in drivetrain efficiency.
its hard to build a fixy, unless you are in the know and have experience removing cassettes, lockrings, and cogs.
City bikes can help a lot, but i've never found used track cogs there, just expensive shiny new ones.

TCR Punk
11-22-2006, 05:17 PM
I have a question. Though, this might sound stupid, since I never have been on a fixed gear. But isn't a regular old 12 speed more comfortable to ride on long distances since you have the ability to change your gear ratio then on a said fixie. I understand that a fixie has more drivetrain efficiency than a bike where you can change gears, but that being said, if you're riding long distances with hills, wouldn't it be better to have a cog that changed gears rather than limiting yourself to only one?

DJoos
11-22-2006, 11:55 PM
If your bike is "that" heavy, it would most likely be less efficient with a single gear. Beyond the challenge and limit on gear ratios a vertical drop out (your bike probally has them) offers for a fixed gear swap-over, not having a gear "range" to choose from will make riding your heavy bike more cumbersome. The weight savings will be minimal compared to the extra power output it will take to push up a hill. Save the fixed gear idea for a light frame with horizontal drop outs.