mizake
11-14-2006, 02:25 PM
I think I passed you the other day! ;)

brock
11-15-2006, 09:55 AM
wet roads + no brakes = sloooooooooow

mizake
11-16-2006, 05:16 AM
i always slap on a brake during the wet season.

huss
11-20-2006, 04:24 AM
Ok so I dont ride fixed all the time, But I do ride single speed (Front brake only), my 6 miles to work, from 130th and burnside to 20th, never has a geared rider passed me. But I pass others on the way:) My speed range is about 18-27 mph. Faster on my small down hills about 30-31. My gear is 48/16, bring it on!!!

mizake
11-20-2006, 10:19 AM
and how about on the way home?

TCR Punk
11-20-2006, 11:43 AM
Ok so I dont ride fixed all the time, But I do ride single speed (Front brake only), my 6 miles to work, from 130th and burnside to 20th, never has a geared rider passed me. But I pass others on the way:) My speed range is about 18-27 mph. Faster on my small down hills about 30-31. My gear is 48/16, bring it on!!!

Nice, it's always fun when the east wind is helping, how about from 20th to 130th with the head wind. If you're riding at 18 - 27 with a head wind you need to be in the Tour.

nishiki
11-20-2006, 12:52 PM
Geared bikes are ALWAYS faster than Fixies.
If you disagree, try racing.

mizake
11-20-2006, 01:49 PM

depends on the bike, rider, etc...

huss
11-30-2006, 02:46 AM
Going home on Glisan from 20th all the way to 122nd or so avg.17-18 yes its a little hilly. First hill right befor 39th, easy, second hill after some nice flats starts about 61st-70th Levels off again till 82nd then the big one up to 90 somthing, then flat all the way home. 48-16, 81 gear inches.

misake is right I would die on a ride to Mt. Hood with the same gearing, but in town one gear works for me. I can ride harder/faster when running ss/freewheel, then fixed. As far as the wind tuck and pedal....lol

Starkmojo
11-30-2006, 01:50 PM
when headed "over the river" to Portland I have noticed that fixed gear riders slow sooner and start off slower then I do, so if i get by them ts usualy just before or after a light, but the usualy build up duite a head of steam on the bridges and blow by me... but I am not a speed racer or anything.

huss
12-01-2006, 04:21 AM
Ok, so I never said anthing about the weather, but my ride is less than 20minutes there. Most of the time 18,19 depends on the lights. Best was 17.5 only had to stop once. So when I ride its all go as hard as I can till I'm at work. I try not to let up. But going up Glisan I dont go below 10-11mph on the hills. And of cousre some days I'm a little tired. By thursday, I dont push to hard, and then go for it on fridays.

Also I work nights, so when I'm going west its about 5-5:30pm, and I'm going east around 3-4am.

I also did a ride to Mcminville from Hillsboro to see the Spruce Goose, with my two other brothers, both geared. One dosnt ride to much, but the other rides 16 miles a day compared to my 12. I blew him away, but the ride only had gentle hills, nothing to steep. It was only 36 miles there. I'm gona try some racing next spring, and a coast ride from Eugene. But I mainly like to ride to challange myself. I'm not saying I'm the fastest, but I like to turn it up a bit.

NEPcyclistic
12-01-2006, 04:31 AM
I also did a ride to Mcminville from Hillsboro to see the Spruce Goose, with my two other brothers, both geared. One dosnt ride to much, but the other rides 16 miles a day compared to my 12. I blew him away, but the ride only had gentle hills, nothing to steep. It was only 36 miles there. I'm gona try some racing next spring, and a coast ride from Eugene. But I mainly like to ride to challange myself. I'm not saying I'm the fastest, but I like to turn it up a bit.

Cool, i'm doing a coast to coast (west to east) next year, 2008, On a geared bike, my mid 70's touring 12 speed.

huss
12-01-2006, 09:54 AM
Coast to coast?

I wish I could take that much time off work by myself (wife and three kids).

sounds like fun.

ong
12-06-2006, 10:53 AM

The "Hour" record for the longest distance cycled in an hour is still set on fixed gear bicycles. IF the conditions are perfectly controlled: no elevation gain, no variation across the course, the RIGHT fixed gear will always be faster than geared (less weight, less friction, less slippage of the pawls).

rubbish heap
02-24-2007, 01:50 PM
Seems to me I'm the one usually passing others and I ride a low gear (44x19) on a fixie. Hmmm...

Jiwa Jiwa
02-26-2007, 10:51 AM
my fixie has a front *and* rear brake. enough for everyone to bitch about.

i'm so uncool, and apparently so slow.

okay then.

NEPcyclistic
02-27-2007, 01:36 AM
my fixie has a front *and* rear brake. enough for everyone to bitch about.

i'm so uncool, and apparently so slow.

okay then.

I don't care how fast anyone rides, as long as they are riding. Fixed gear, single speed, etc... just ride baby... its all about the fact that we ride.... Love it.

ADirtMonkey
02-27-2007, 12:25 PM
I like coasting and not wearing out my rear tire, so I just rock the SS for commuting/errands/drinking.
But I agree, as long as your riding something!

dhormann
03-06-2007, 03:02 PM
Wow! 48-16 -- I ride a 42-18, but I like to spin. Last night I averaged about 17 MPH going from Aloha out to Cornelius and back to Hillsboro. From my office its about 20.5 miles for that loop, which is pretty flat. The gear suits me pretty well as I average about the same on a geared bike. I figure that's not too bad for a 45 year old toting a bag full of my clothes and stuff from work.

bay2la
03-06-2007, 03:38 PM
i am just surprised i don't see more fixed gear riders slamming into trucks and getting into accidents. many of them ride like assholes with no regard for other people, i run a stop sign here and there if it is clear but i have seen some fixed gear riders do some pretty rude manuevers.

my favorite is riding up the hawthorne hill heading east right after the bridge, i have had a few fixed gears try to keep up with me here but they all fail. one guy told me he rides up and down mt tabor on his fixed gear all the time. somehow i doubt him.

rubbish heap
03-06-2007, 10:00 PM
i am just surprised i don't see more fixed gear riders slamming into trucks and getting into accidents. many of them ride like assholes with no regard for other people, i run a stop sign here and there if it is clear but i have seen some fixed gear riders do some pretty rude manuevers.

my favorite is riding up the hawthorne hill heading east right after the bridge, i have had a few fixed gears try to keep up with me here but they all fail. one guy told me he rides up and down mt tabor on his fixed gear all the time. somehow i doubt him.

I beat all my freewheel friends up hills and am rarely passed during commutes, not unless a roadie is really hauling ass. The thing about taking a fixie up a hill is, with the right gear ratio it is easier than a freewheel because the momentum of the backwheel moving the pedals means you're being carried more and pushing a little less as opposed to a freewheel where that's nonexistant. It's all a matter of going into a hill with speed to maintain momentum.

But what the hell is this, some kind of assumed superiority because you're beating someone else up a hill? All it's really a measurement of is the strength of your legs as well as a few other factors. I see plenty of Joe Commuters who ride on the sidewalk with no regard to anyone either.