PDA

View Full Version : What do you do with your helmet...

jwdoom
11-13-2006, 03:10 PM
....when you get off your bike?

I've been hanging it on my backpack but I'm a menace to society with that bad boy flapping around back there. I swear this waitress I know is going to belt me if I whack her with it one more time.

I see people just leaving them with their bikes but between theft and it filling with water (helmet covers are must in the fall/winter) I don't see that as a viable option.

Hailp!!!!

toodles
JW

brettoo
11-13-2006, 04:05 PM
I use a detachable pannier. When I get where I'm going, the helmet and rain pants go in the pannier along with my backpack or bike bag or whatever I'm carrying in there, then I detach the pannier and carry it with me. It has a shoulder strap so I wind up carrying it like a messenger bag or briefcase, slung over my shoulder.

DJoos
11-13-2006, 07:02 PM
there are pacs available with a "helmet holder"

jwdoom
11-13-2006, 10:33 PM
I use a detachable pannier. When I get where I'm going, the helmet and rain pants go in the pannier along with my backpack or bike bag or whatever I'm carrying in there, then I detach the pannier and carry it with me. It has a shoulder strap so I wind up carrying it like a messenger bag or briefcase, slung over my shoulder.

What kind of panniers do you have? My helmet won't fit in any of the panniers I've had.

jwdoom
11-13-2006, 10:34 PM
Pacs? Backpacks? Ah, crud sticks. I don't wanna buy another back pack!!

But what models are you referring to. Y'know, just in case my luggage fetish (oh how I wish I were joking about that) gets funded.

brettoo
11-14-2006, 09:47 AM
What kind of panniers do you have? My helmet won't fit in any of the panniers I've had.

Let's see... they're called Jando Mountaineering. They attach to a rear rack. I like 'em because they expand: you pull the front out to accommodate, say, a grocery bag (which is what I mainly use them for), but if you don't have anything that big they retract. They're made of some kind of mesh. I got 'em in Eugene so can't tell you where to buy them here, but I imagine Bike Gallery or any other good bike shop would have them.

brock
11-14-2006, 01:29 PM
Well, I know I look like kind of a dork, but if I'm just shopping or running errands, I'll just leave it on. Otherwise I'll carry it - it's a critical but ultimately fragile piece of equipement, so I don't like to leave it unattended nor do I want it crashing into things while attached to my pack or something.

MrBread
11-14-2006, 11:26 PM
I never really have a big issue with finding a place to stow the helmet. If I'm going grocery shopping, I either put it in the basket or cart, or I just tuck it under my arm. Likewise, at a coffee shop, it goes on the floor next to my bag.

Most of the time, though, if I'm stopped for a while, I have a pretty big backpack, so I just shove it in the top (my backpack cinches at the top, though, so this is less of a pain than with zipper packs or messenger bags).

Starkmojo
11-24-2006, 08:12 AM
what helmet?

Cecil M
12-04-2006, 05:35 PM
Dueter makes a bunch of kick ass bags that have helmet holders. Also if it isn't raining or I am parking under cover I lock my helmet to my bike.
Word has it stealing a helmet is pretty bad karma.

NEPcyclistic
12-04-2006, 07:03 PM
Dueter makes a bunch of kick ass bags that have helmet holders. Also if it isn't raining or I am parking under cover I lock my helmet to my bike.
Word has it stealing a helmet is pretty bad karma.

yup, I just stick my helmet strap around my handle bars. No body (as of yet) has taken the helmet. Oops thats not true. This one time I came out of the bar after a few beers and my helmet was gone, but so was my locked bike. So at least the thief was riding MY bike, with MY helmet.

jwdoom
12-04-2006, 07:38 PM

I'm googling Dueter as I type.

And how do you lock your helmet up?

NEPcyclistic
12-05-2006, 10:32 AM
Last night on my way home I stopped by a bar for two beers. While I was in their, some thief had taken my front light off my bike, but left my helmet. Ass i want my light back.

Cecil M
12-05-2006, 05:05 PM
Run you u-lock through the straps that go around you ears.

sorry to hear about the light and the bike. I am thinking you average bike thief probably doesn't wear a helmet.