PDA

View Full Version : Back in the saddle

zeldabee
11-13-2006, 02:19 PM
Today I commuted by bike for the first time since early in my pregnancy with my now-three-year-old son. It was only a partial bike commute--to daycare with my son in his trailer, then on to the Milikan MAX station and my bike locker. Probably a little less than 3 miles.

Just for background, I moved out here not quite 2 years ago from NYC, never drove before I came out here. I had to turn down a couple of job offers because I couldn't get there via mass transit or bike, so I spent the last of my savings on a car, and became a full-fledged member of car culture. Now I work downtown, and have been taking the MAX to work (a big improvement from the 35-minute drive on the freeway at my last job!).

Before I had my son I did long distance bike touring and year round, all weather bike commuting (15 miles each way, in NYC), so my little 3 mile commute doesn't seem like much by comparison. I'm psyched, though! I've got to start somewhere, don't I? It went well, I feel great, and I'm going to keep doing it.

Just thought I'd share.

Jonathan Maus
11-13-2006, 02:28 PM
fantastic! thanks for sharing and see you out there...maybe on Breakfast on the Bridges perhaps?

cheers,
--Jonathan

CapnSnarls
11-14-2006, 09:31 AM
Congradulations! Today 3 miles, tomorrow THE WORLD!

Haven_kd7yct
11-15-2006, 10:27 AM
I'm glad you have the motivation to ride in the winter! :) I just got rain tires and fenders, so I rode yesterday (yes, I know, it didn't rain). It was chilly and dark, and I loved it! :) All those lights and reflective gear I got really worked well.

Keep it up! You'll up your mileage in no time! :)

Kt

zeldabee
11-16-2006, 08:51 AM
Thanks for the encouragement. I rode Monday and Tuesday, took the car yesterday, and the horizontal rain yesterday put me off, so I didn't ride today either. But I have no excuse for tomorrow.

My short-term goal is to ride pretty much every day (to and from the MAX station), unless I have major errand running after work. Longer term goal is to maybe switch to a station closer in for a little bit longer ride, and THEN eventually to ride all the way in from time to time. Given my physical condition I don't know if/when I'll get to the point of being able to take on the mountain between B'ton and PDX on a regular basis, but I'd certainly like to get on the bike more, and get back to being able to ride centuries again.

One things's clear to me: I need to get full fenders for "The Beast" (my "SUV"--old hardtail mountainbike). I could take my touring bike, which has full fenders, but it's a much nicer, much more steal-able bike...I suppose it would be ok in the bike locker, but I'm from NYC and I'm paranoid.

Besides which, The Beast has been more comfortable since I've been riding again post-pregnancy...not sure why. The touring bike has been customized for me, with a perfectly broken-in Brooks saddle and everything, but something seems to have changed in my pelvis (not to get intot the realm of TMI), and it doesn't seem as perfect a fit any more.

I'm hoping the weather settles down into what I think of as typical Oregon winter--I can take a steady rain, but I don't much care for this sideways, firehose-type stuff! Ack! At least I still have rain gear that fits me, though most of my NYC winter gear is massive overkill for Oregon. I wonder if I'll ever need it here. Last year it only got to what I consider to be cold once, for a couple of days. I used to pore over the Ice Bike (http://www.icebike.org/) site. You guys don't know how easy you have it here! :)