PDA

View Full Version : building & mall policies about walking bikes

holtza
11-07-2006, 04:47 PM
I'm trying to encourage a local building manager to allow customers and others to walk their bicycles into the building as long as they aren't bothering anyone. She is hesitant, but not totally closed-minded.

There are other places where I am able to walk my bike inside... but I don't know if those buildings have bike-friendly policies... or I just never encountered a security guard or other staffer who minded.

Does anyone know of examples of buildings or malls that specifically allow people to walk their bikes in, as long as they aren't bothering anyone?

If I can give this manager examples of other buildings that have a more flexible policy, I hope she might at least consider it. She just doesn't want to take the lead.

- Andrew

donnambr
11-07-2006, 07:06 PM
I work in an office building downtown. People take their bikes into their suites there all the time. I'm the office manager of the clinic where I work and the clients are welcome to bring their bikes in whenever they need to.

Bjorn
11-07-2006, 11:30 PM
I was in the home depot the other day and saw an employee walk their bike through the entire store to park it back in the break area somewhere.

Bjorn

rainperimeter
11-08-2006, 03:00 AM
at a bar/pizza place i worked at in downtown minneapolis, i and other employees regularly would ride through the entrance, hang a left, through the dining area and bar and right on out back to a loading dock area. that or we'd walk right through the kitchen to the loading dock area. actually riding through was way more fun.

TCR Punk
11-08-2006, 04:01 PM
I was in the home depot the other day and saw an employee walk their bike through the entire store to park it back in the break area somewhere.

Bjorn

Which one?

nishiki
11-09-2006, 12:59 PM
Holy crap people, leave your bike outside!

mizake
11-09-2006, 03:13 PM
Why should people leave their bikes inside?

At any rate, in the Liberty Center Building - where I work - bikes are not allowed in the building for "insurance" reasons. Understandable as the last time I brought my bike into the building it wrested itself from my powerful grip and nearly mauled a small child.

TCR Punk
11-10-2006, 02:18 PM
I want to ride my bicycle through lloyd center.

jami
11-10-2006, 04:26 PM
lloyd center is apparently not 100% cool with that:
http://www.pdxk.com/crankmychain/2006/08/team-canada-and-zoobombers-go-shopping.html

i did see someone park his bike right on a rack at a plaid pantry the other night, but i don't want to get the employee who allowed it in trouble, so i won't be too specific about the wheres and whens.

Bjorn
11-10-2006, 07:02 PM
It was the home depot that is over by mall 205. In response to the negative emails about bikes indoors I don't see why any business should prohibit bringing a bike inside. I mean it is understandable why they might not want you riding it in there, but if secure bike parking isn't available employees should be able to park indoors when space is available.

bjorn

vseven
11-10-2006, 09:15 PM
I'm with a friend, we are going to the Heathman to have lunch outside as we are on our beloved rides and in biker chic ok.....lycra. The skies open up just as we pull in, we figure we need to find some other place to eat. But NO ! The doorman opens the front door and tells us to come on in with the bikes ! We check the bikes in the coat room after the manager admires my coupled Co-Motion(xxoo.) The best part was sitting in the dining room enjoying a great lunch amongst the suits !!!!!!!! Only in Portland, you all are soooooooooo lucky to live here :)

dan
11-13-2006, 09:14 PM
lloyd center is apparently not 100% cool with that:
http://www.pdxk.com/crankmychain/2006/08/team-canada-and-zoobombers-go-shopping.html

i did see someone park his bike right on a rack at a plaid pantry the other night, but i don't want to get the employee who allowed it in trouble, so i won't be too specific about the wheres and whens.

the one on 50th & division? if so, that was me. by the way, i doubt the plaid pantry manager is reading this board, or even cares. anyway, if there's no bike rack, it goes inside, no questions answered.

dan
11-13-2006, 09:19 PM

i did it at albertsons once when i lived in boulder. i rode in and made a few big laps and then rode out. no one said a word though...;.

rainperimeter
11-14-2006, 03:12 AM

january 2005 critical mass. maybe 25-40 of us rode through a good chunk of the 2nd level. i have great doubts as to critical mass's positive effects for cyclists, but riding through lloyd center was amazingly fun. and everyone but security seemed pretty stoked on it too.

i also got my 2nd of 3 ISAWU's during that ride...