PDA

View Full Version : the great messenger bag hunt

knary
10-30-2006, 06:20 PM
With the arrival of the new laptop comes the hunt for the new messenger bag. It'll spend time on both the bicycle and the motorcycle. I've looked at Chrome, Crumple, and, of course, Timbuk2. I'm debating between the Crumple and the Timbuk2. The Chrome bags are fantastic, BUT everytime I see that giant chromed buckle, I imagine what it would feel like if I ever face planted with the bag on. Any other bags come to mind that can be found locally? It doesn't have to be laptop specific, just durable, water resistant/proof, big enough, etc.

TIA

DJoos
10-30-2006, 08:33 PM
I think the chrome's fit more securely than the others, the "under-arm" strap seems to do its job. If you manage to fall in a way that the buckle digs in, I believe it will be the least of your problems. For a great waterproof bag (it is a backpack, not as trendy as a messanger bag), go with the Ortlieb Messenger. It is made in germany, but will hold anything and keep it dry.

knary
10-30-2006, 08:37 PM
I've had the pleasure of having a cell phone and set of keys driven into my belly in a high speed fall (hit a deer). As you mention, it's probably a modest concern in the grand scheme of things - never mind the pile of crap actually IN the bag. :D

josh m
10-30-2006, 11:02 PM
I have a XL Baileyworks. I personally love it. More comfortable than both Chrome and timbuk2. They have reversable straps(so you can swap the strap to the other side). I believe you can order them from bailey works w/ a laptop pad/pouch. You might also check out reload bags, as they do complete custom work. Or as always, check out frieghttrain bags.
Support your local and other small companies. I don't think Timbuk2 or Chrome are suffering, especially since their stuff rather sucks overall compared to these other companies.

Bjorn
10-31-2006, 12:00 AM
Just a note, Timbuk2 computer bags are NOT made in San Francisco, they are made in China. I don't know how they hold up, but many of the new Timbuk2 styles aren't made in the USA unfortunately...

Bjorn

ong
10-31-2006, 11:40 AM
I often use messenger bags to carry way too many groceries... 50-60 lbs. at a time. Even though my Timbuk2 is significantly smaller and holds less than my Chrome, it is much less comfortable with heavy loads. My "Chrome" bag, though, doesn't have the big seat-belt buckle, but a less blingy black plastic thing -- the bag is an old Kosmo.com bag I picked up at City Bikes a couple years ago. It's not quite as adjustable as I would like, but it gets the job done pretty comfortably.

Revolver
11-21-2006, 08:23 AM
Banjo Brothers (http://www.banjobrothers.com/products/01050.php) makes an inexpensive bag that come with a laptop sleeve. They sell for around 80 bucks. Designed in Minnesota and sewn overseas.

knary
11-21-2006, 09:42 AM
Time was pressing before a business trip, so I settled on a Timbuk2 Commuter bag for now. It's only so-so on the bike, but the amount of protection it offers easily beat any of the bags I was able to see and handle locally.

Thanks for the feedback.

jwdoom
11-21-2006, 05:09 PM
I have a Timbuk2 medium (old school) and large (more recent) bag that I use a seperate laptop bag for. The laptop case/bag thingy has its own handles and strap and has rubber bits to grip the interior of the bag, but it zips all the way shut.

I hear great things about Chrome bags but I sweat way too much to have anything hug my back like that. And I hadn't thought about the potential danger of the belt buckle, either.

Unfortunately I had to put the Timbuk2s up for a medium sized hiking backpack with a frame. After years of messenger bag use my shoulders were killing me.

rainperimeter
11-23-2006, 03:56 AM
RE Load. I have a big huge bag and a backpack and wouldn't trade either one. Hand made in Seattle (and Philadelphia, but Seattle for us west coasters).