PDA

View Full Version : Stolen Fuji/ where do thieves sell stolen bikes?

Fran Stubis
10-28-2006, 03:57 PM
Hello all, first post.

My Fuji bike was recently stolen near Hawthorne and 39th, out of my garage. It was a ten speed style bike with thin tires. It's an older bike (mid '80s probably), and pretty heavy. The frame was dark red/maroon. It has a brown leather seat, taped handlebars, and metal toe gaurds on the pedals. If anyone has any information, please post.

Also, if anyone knows any popular spots bike thieves like to unload their stolen goods, please post. I'd like to give these places a call, as the theft was pretty recent.

Thanks in advance.

Defective
11-01-2006, 08:01 PM
Hi Fran,

Sorry to hear about your bike. Based on the description you provided I'm guessing that it's not a very valuable bike. If it wasn't, then it was probably used as tranportation by the jerk that happened upon it. It may have been dumped by the theif or he may still be using it. That said, there are folks out there that make a living selling old or cheap bikes. The bikes they have may or may not be stolen. Often times you see them for sale on Craigslist. Expensive bikes are often sold on Ebay.

I'm guessing that you didn't have the serial number written down and haven't filed a police report yet? (Most folks don't) Even if you don't have the serial number it might be worth filing a report. Provide a detailed description of your bike. Write down your case number. Police agencies collect hundreds of abandoned bikes that they can't match with their owners because the owners didn't have the SN. You might want to call Portland police and see if you can take a look at their impounded bikes. It's a long shot but you never know.

Good luck!