PDA

View Full Version : black volvo - road rage on Fremont

Bjorn
10-27-2006, 09:17 PM
I was heading west on NE fremont near 65th at around 6 pm when a black volvo came up behind me, honked, accelerated hard and went around me, then cut in right in front of me and slammed on the brakes coming to a complete stop. I locked up both wheels and almost stopped before hitting the car. He started to drive off but I hit his trunk with my hand and yelled stop. At that point the driver, a bald white obese man who was probably in his late 40's got out and began yelling at me that I shouldn't touch his car and needed to get on the sidewalk where I belonged. Then he started to come at me, I walked the opposite way around the car, dialed 911 and told him I was calling the cops. At that point he got back in his car and started to drive off. I was on hold for a short time before the 911 operator came on, I told her the license plate number and described what happened. She told me I should exchange info with the driver, I said that the other driver had intentionally caused the accident and that I wanted an officer to be sent out. She told me she would send someone and hung up. The driver left the scene without giving me the opportunity to get his information, and I waited around 40 minutes but no cop ever showed up. I am going to try to go to a police station tomorrow to file a complaint. If anyone saw this please let me know, at this point I don't have a witness.

Bjorn

Attornatus_Oregonensis
10-28-2006, 08:12 AM
Wow! This is classic. Please, please have the patience and the goodwill to stick with this. These are the people who need to be hit over the head with the big figurative stick of the law in order to see that their actions are not acceptable. I know it's very frustrating when you seemingly get no support from the police, but we are here and on your side, such as we are.

You should also consider writing to this guy to tell him what you think of what happened. An attorney can get the driver's personal information from the OR DMV at a pretty small cost.

norse rider
10-28-2006, 05:33 PM
This stuff makes me sick. The guy in the volvo needs to have his liscence revoked and be ordered to take an anger managment class. I am glad that you are alright. Take care.

jami
10-30-2006, 10:27 AM
i wonder how it would have turned out if you'd told mr. fat-and-angry to get on a bike where he belongs? this notion occured to me the umpteenth time some busybody in an suv shouted at me to get a headlight (i've had them, they've been stolen, and there are just too many other things to remember to pack the morning). seriously, bicycles aren't hurting them, but their exhaust is hurting everyone.

Rixtir
10-31-2006, 04:54 PM
Think about prosecting a citizen-initiated violation. You can learn more about these in Pedal Power (http://www.stc-law.com/bikepower.html). Having a witness would really help transform your case from one of conflicting stories to a convincing case. Also consider that in addition to whatever other violations of the Oregon Vehicle Code this driver comnmitted, he left the scene of an accident. If your bike was damaged or you were injured, his leaving the scene is an additional violation.

Bjorn
11-01-2006, 10:06 AM
Fortunately I wasn't hurt, and my bike wasn't damaged, although the driver had no way of really knowing that when he left the scene. It is odd that it is only vehiclular assault for a person to intentionally hit you with their car if you get hurt...

I've been working through the process of finding the right person to talk to and hope to file the complaint tonight.

bjorn

nishiki
11-03-2006, 08:52 AM
Bjorn,
When the driver honk and went crazy shifting around you, how far down the street did he cut you off?

Bjorn
11-03-2006, 09:59 AM
He came around about 10-15 feet in front of me, which wouldn't have been a problem except that he then hit the brakes and came to a complete stop. I couldn't go to the right of the car because there was a car parked there so I hit the right rear of his car.

Bjorn