PDA

View Full Version : $484 in tickets xing Broadway

caseyg36
10-26-2006, 11:45 AM
I took the chance to cross Broadway when it was clear of traffic, did not stop at a stop sign and turned left onto a side street without the arrow (guilty). Got pulled over and given tickets for both infractions ($242 each). So nearly $500 for failing to stop to cross one street. I'm guilty and should know better but does anyone know of any remedial programs or other ideas to at least get that reduced to something proportionate to the offense?

Attornatus_Oregonensis
10-26-2006, 01:27 PM
Yes, request a hearing on both tickets. When you get before the judge or admin person, explain that you did it, tell them that you understand why you shouldn't have, that you will not do so in the future, and that you believe that the fines are excessive, especially since you are giving your word that you understand why you were cited and that you will not repeat the infraction. Obviously I can't promise anything, but they may knock about half off. Given the success I've seen people have with this strategy, it's probably worth your time. Good luck.

And I think the moral of this story is: Check for the PoPo before you head through the intersection.

Bjorn
10-26-2006, 04:39 PM
In Corvallis my friend recently was allowed to take a bike traffic safety class for around 5 dollars and his fines were suspended, he was ticketed for rolling a stop sign as well. Anyone know if we have this up here in portland.

Bjorn

Jonathan Maus
10-26-2006, 07:35 PM
Anyone know if we have this up here in portland.

Bjorn

yep. coming very soon:
http://bikeportland.org/2006/10/10/details-emerge-on-new-share-the-road-safety-class/

TCR Punk
10-26-2006, 07:49 PM
I thought a law was pasted by the voters, that the judge can no longer reduce traffic fines, if you're found guilty? Maybe I'm wrong, and confusing that with something else....