PDA

View Full Version : Bike nearly stolen!

ong
10-20-2006, 07:10 PM
A friend and I were sitting outside at Vincente's at 20th and Hawthorne about an hour ago -- it was still light out. We had our two bikes locked to a standard blue bike rack about twenty feet away. I saw someone walk up to the rack and squat down in front of my bike. I ran up to him, yelling, and saw that he had a pair of eighteen inch bolt cutters on my lock (it was one of the stout, inch-thick cable locks, but who knows if it would have held up). He jumped up and cocked the bolt cutters back to swing at me... we yelled at each other for a minute, and he hopped on his beater bike and rode off.

Another guy was standing around, and he started telling me he had just met this guy, and had no idea he was a thief. Someone sitting at a table (ten feet away from the bikes!) pulled me aside and said that these two had been hanging out together and seemed to know each other well. Further, this second guy had been riding back and forth, scouting out these bikes for several minutes. He hopped on his bike and rode away while the witness was telling me all this.

These people called the police on their cell, and they showed up about ten minutes later. To their credit, they immediately got physical descriptions of both these guys (the second was bald, with the word "Cathy" tattooed on his neck, so he stood out a bit!) and radioed them out to their network right away.

No word yet on whether they found either of them... I think I'll be shopping for one o' them $70 Kryptonite locks, in the meantime. Kind of an eye-opening experience!

TCR Punk
10-21-2006, 06:30 PM
Yeah, stay away from cable locks. They just keep honest people honest. Chain locks, "NYC Fagettaboutit" lock.

http://www.amazon.com/Kryptonite-NY-Fahgettaboutit-Chain-Lock/dp/B000AV7O5I

Rixtir
10-22-2006, 05:55 PM
Yeah, stay away from cable locks. They just keep honest people honest. Chain locks, "NYC Fagettaboutit" lock.

http://www.amazon.com/Kryptonite-NY-Fahgettaboutit-Chain-Lock/dp/B000AV7O5I

Absolutely.

So what did this bike thief look like?

ong
10-22-2006, 06:24 PM
Hard to say, exactly -- the confrontation was pretty intense, and I wasn't exactly thinking clearly. Both men were late thirties to early forties, pretty scroungy-looking. Both would probably be easily identifiable as homeless or at least very "street" (weathered-looking). The actual thief was about 5'8" or 5'9", with shortish dark hair, and the other guy was bald, with a very noticable tattoo on his neck reading "Cathy." Both were on beat-up mountain bikes (one a Mongoose, the other some stripped raw aluminum thing). Although I'm sure those were stolen, and probably get swapped out pretty quickly. That's about the best I can do for a description!

Rixtir
10-22-2006, 06:48 PM
I'll bet if the call to the police was about a guy brandishing a weapon instead of a guy stealing a bike, the cops would have been there before the guy had reached the end of the block. Something to think about when we call in reports while some guy is standing there with a weapon threatening bodily harm....

TCR Punk
10-22-2006, 07:40 PM
I'll bet if the call to the police was about a guy brandishing a weapon instead of a guy stealing a bike, the cops would have been there before the guy had reached the end of the block. Something to think about when we call in reports while some guy is standing there with a weapon threatening bodily harm....

Good Point.