PDA

View Full Version : bike I received could be stolen???

whitey
10-17-2006, 06:29 PM
Hi, I am not going into the whole story but I traded a car for a bike. After doing research I am thinking the bike is stolen.

Here is the problem. If I call to see if the bike is stolen, and they say yes, and come and the police do a report and return it to its owner, why would the police believe that it wasnt me that stole it.

I just want to do the right thing even though I am getting the raw end of the deal. I do not want a criminal record, or do I want the police to think it was me that I stole it.

anyone please help me to do the right thing with out getting in trouble!
thanks

Rixtir
10-17-2006, 08:11 PM
Hi, I am not going into the whole story but I traded a car for a bike. After doing research I am thinking the bike is stolen.

Here is the problem. If I call to see if the bike is stolen, and they say yes, and come and the police do a report and return it to its owner, why would the police believe that it wasnt me that stole it.Is there any evidence that you stole it? I doubt it, expecially if you are the one to call the police.

I just want to do the right thing even though I am getting the raw end of the deal. I do not want a criminal record, or do I want the police to think it was me that I stole it.

anyone please help me to do the right thing with out getting in trouble!
thanksThere is probably a way to get your car back (assuming that the bike is stolen).

You need to talk with a lawyer (http://www.stc-law.com/rthomas.html) about all of this, though.

whitey
10-17-2006, 08:19 PM
well that is part of the story!!! the car wasnt in my name, .... darn this is a long story.. so i care less about the car. just want to do the right thing with the bike!

Rixtir
10-18-2006, 03:34 PM
Well, without knowing the details, I think it's still possible that the guy you traded with, and not you, are screwed. You really need to talk with an attorney, though. Try Ray Thomas (http://www.stc-law.com/rthomas.html).

PoPo
10-19-2006, 10:36 AM
Indeed, without knowing all of the details one can't know for sure, but this sort of thing happens periodically--honest people calling to report that they have found stolen property. And no thief calls the police to report property that they stole. I don't think any police officer would think that you stole the bike. Regarding the car, if the title of the car was never in your name, I think it might be difficult for you to get it back, unless you have some good alternate receipts or paperwork.

Sarah
10-19-2006, 01:30 PM
Well, as someone who had MY BIKE STOLEN yesterday, I hope you do the right thing and call the police.

Don't worry about the police thinking you stole they bike. You say you didn't steal it, so that should be good enough for your conscience.

I want my bike back and I'd hope you'd try and reunite the bike with its owner.