TCR Punk
10-06-2006, 02:40 PM
Yeah, thats bad ass!! Good stuff.

nishiki
10-06-2006, 02:48 PM
They make us look like amateurs

dan
10-06-2006, 03:26 PM
anybody still want to race tomorrow night?

brock
10-06-2006, 03:37 PM
Wow, that's like $30K worth of traffic infractions... :)

TCR Punk
10-06-2006, 03:51 PM

I think, at the start of that video clip, they passed a cop suv vehicle. I'm not sure though. I think i might watch it again.

TCR Punk
10-06-2006, 03:57 PM
anybody still want to race tomorrow night?

If someone posts a time and place.

rainperimeter
10-07-2006, 02:11 AM

and you can be darn sure they're not winning us bikers any friends with manners like that. for shaaaame.

FixForLife
10-07-2006, 12:33 PM
::i can't let this just slide::
for shaaaame.
NO.

Rixtir
10-08-2006, 03:18 PM
If you're too immature to ride without endangering others, don't ride.

BLDZR
10-08-2006, 07:54 PM
woo woo! here come the fun police!!!
http://www.bible.ca/marriage/nagging-wife-curlers.gif

TCR Punk
10-08-2006, 09:10 PM
If you're too immature to ride without endangering others, don't ride.

Um... yeah... I think that video was shot in NYC, (New York City) not PDX, so I think you're safe... for now.

Rixtir
10-08-2006, 09:21 PM
Just a play on the title of this thread.

But seriously, when did assaulting pedestrians and reckless endangerment-- i.e., criminal behavior-- become "fun"?

And if you get buzzed by a car, or cut off, or right-hooked, is that "fun" too? Or is the motorist who does that for fun a sociopath?

BLDZR
10-09-2006, 06:58 AM
here (http://www.messmagazine.net/mess/index.php?option=com_content&task=blogsection&id=13&Itemid=62) are some videos on my site. pretty much more of the same, but with more clever editing. We've actually wroked a little bit with Lucas Brunelle, but that's for upcoming videos. Current project includes a 20 minute documentary on this year's West Side Invite. I swear it will be out eventually.

Open traffic races are the best. And they are not for the squeamish, nor are they for commuters. Rixtir, You obviously don't understand this scene, so please stop hating on it. Messenger Alleycat races have been around for over 20 years. They are an essential part of the bike messenger community, and their popularity continues to grow. Please appreciate that for the increase in interest in bicycling, and keep your finger-wagging to yourself. Not everyone in the world rides a bike for the same reasons you do. Not everyone should have to meet your criteria for "safe and responsible" before putting foot to pedal. Messengers may seem reckless to you, but I can guarantee you that anyone who has worked as a messenger for more than a year is a far more competent, aware, and understanding rider than a commuter could ever be.

Hope everyone enjoys the videos.

TCR Punk
10-09-2006, 09:33 AM
here (http://www.messmagazine.net/mess/index.php?option=com_content&task=blogsection&id=13&Itemid=62) are some videos on my site.

It may just be my computer, but i can only hear the video. No video with the sound. Does anybody else have that problem?

brock
10-09-2006, 10:37 AM
"but I can guarantee you that anyone who has worked as a messenger for more than a year is a far more competent, aware, and understanding rider than a commuter could ever be."

Oh, bullsh*t. Just because someone rides through downtown traffic a lot doesn't make them some superstar rider. I've never worked as a messenger but if you knew me and rode with me you wouldn't question my competence, awareness, or understanding...

Them some crazy riders. Fun times, quite a rush, sometimes it's fun to take chances like that. If I were one of those pedestrians though, I might have knocked one of those fawkers down :)

Rixtir
10-09-2006, 12:01 PM
Rixtir, You obviously don't understand this scene, so please stop hating on it.So there's a "scene" that revolves around assaulting pedestrians and recklessly endangering others.

Wow. I'm sorry, I just didn't understand it. Obviously.

I wonder if there's a scene that revolves around assaulting cyclists. Maybe some motorist could cut some cyclists off for "fun." Maybe some motorists could buzz some cyclists really close at speed. That would be some fun, eh? And we wouldn't want to call them sociopaths for doing it, it would just show that we hate a scene we don't understand.

Yeah, whatever.

Rixtir
10-09-2006, 12:04 PM
Wow, that's like $30K worth of traffic infractions... :)Those aren't just traffic infractions, they're criminal violations. I think I'll try to figure out the potential jail sentences... :)

BLDZR
10-09-2006, 01:10 PM
It may just be my computer, but i can only hear the video. No video with the sound. Does anybody else have that problem?

Make sure you have The latest Flash (http://www.adobe.com/) player.

dan
10-09-2006, 01:11 PM
hey rixtir, were you that guy on the bike last week that screamed at me as i rode through the 4way stop at 33rd + clinton? i can't imagine anyone else doing that, so i figure it must've been you.

BLDZR
10-09-2006, 01:11 PM
Also, our whole site is best viewed in Mozilla Firefox. woo hoo mozilla!

nishiki
10-09-2006, 01:14 PM
Chances are Rixtir rides with one of those silly mirrors

BLDZR
10-09-2006, 01:31 PM
Chances are Rixtir rides with one of those silly mirrors

or perhaps with a pole right up the arse.

Kitsune06
10-09-2006, 05:24 PM
Is there seriously any need for bike messengers? Anything that can't be FedExed, faxed or emailed, seriously?

You guys are so tough, athletic, and admirable, weaving in and out of traffic like sociopaths with suicidal tendencies, and then having the balls to bitch about motorists who don't appreciate bikers like you and, because we all look roughly the same (a body on a bike) assume we ARE all the same.

You do wonders to gain us respect as folks just getting from point A to point B on a Bike... trying to get travel by bike to be accepted by the general public as a viable, safe form of transportation. Adrenaline junkies can take their shit elsewhere. I am not impressed.

Rixtir
10-09-2006, 05:34 PM
hey rixtir, were you that guy on the bike last week that screamed at me as i rode through the 4way stop at 33rd + clinton? i can't imagine anyone else doing that, so i figure it must've been you.Nope. Wasn't me. In fact, I've never said anything about riding practices to any cyclist. uh, offline. ;)

PoPo
10-09-2006, 10:20 PM
Watching the video made me remember the the day I spent wandering around Manhattan on my friend's old 10-speed on a trip I took there last December. It was pretty amazing, and a cool way to see the city. Of course I didn't ride like the messengers did, but I did take Broadway (which actually has a marked bicycle lane--you can see it in some of the video but just for a few seconds!) from Central Park all the way to Lower Manhattan in the evening when all the lights were setting the street aglow. Totally, totally cool.

A lot of the major international tourist cities are starting to have bicycle tours these days as well. I took on in Munich a few years back. It's just a really cool way to explore a new city--totally recommend it!

dan
10-09-2006, 10:57 PM
Nope. Wasn't me. In fact, I've never said anything about riding practices to any cyclist. uh, offline. ;)

yeah, sorry i singled you out. it was probably kitsune.

alex
10-10-2006, 12:27 AM
this thread is why nobody god damn posts on this message board

seriously someone go ahead and make a fixed gear message board that doesnt suck, i'd like to see someone try, yeah i know this thread isnt fixed gear specific, but still, messengers, nyc, blah blah

bike forums would be great if it wasnt for the moderating and bullshit rulles of bike forums in general

assault? where? show me the assault, the assault, show it to me.

i mean the fucking COP said nothing about the video other than bikes being a good way to see nyc

FixForLife
10-10-2006, 01:54 AM
blah blah blah! fuck these stupid ass pieces of shit, go wear your orange vest.
I RUN RED LIGHTS, I GO THROUGH STOP SIGNS, FUCK YOU RIXTER! I KNOW HOW TO RIDE MY GODDAMN BIKE AND I DON'T NEED SOME ANAL FUCK HEAD TO TELL ME HOW AWFUL I AM!! BRING ON THE RACES!

rainperimeter
10-10-2006, 02:42 AM
::i can't let this just slide::

NO.

i thought it was pretty obvious i was joking...i guess not.

alex
10-10-2006, 08:12 AM
joes too old to get jokes

jami
10-10-2006, 08:42 AM
perhaps a special forum just for messengers and their fanboys could be called "portland bike forums junior." it seems that cyclists who've managed to get old do indeed disapprove of scaring pedestrians and riding into oncoming traffic.

nishiki
10-10-2006, 09:19 AM
Or maybe you could have a section dedicated to senior hybrid commuters in spandex.

alex
10-10-2006, 09:25 AM
its not a messenger thing, its a life thing

FixForLife
10-10-2006, 09:40 AM
oh man, i got beligerant drunk last night. booze and computers don't mix

brock
10-10-2006, 10:04 AM
Yawn. So much hate. Go for a ride kids, it's fawking beautiful out.

Rixtir
10-10-2006, 03:49 PM
assault? where? show me the assault, the assault, show it to me.Your ignorance of the law won't shield you from the consequences of your acts. Welcome to the world.

Assault is a term used to refer both to the crime of assault and battery, and the civil complaint of assault. To prove the criminal charge of assault (in NY), there must be an injury:

NY Penal Code, Section 120.00. Assault in the Third Degree. A person id guilty of assault in the thir degree when...2. He recklessly causes physical injury to another person...Assault in the third degree is a class A misdemeanor. (For a class A misdemeanor, the penalty is up to one year in jail and may include up to a $1,000 fine.).

NY Penal Code, Section 120.05. Assault in the Second degree. A person is guilty of assault6 in the second degree when: 4. He recklessly causes serious physical injury to another person by means of a deadly weapon or a dangerous instrument...Assault in the second dgree is a class D felony. (For a class D felony, the penalty is 1-7 years in state prison and may include up to a $5,000 fine.).

NY Penal Code, Section 120.10. Assault in the First Degree. A person is guilty of assault in the first degree when: 3. Under circumstances evincing a depraved indifference to human life, he recklessly engages in conduct which creates a grave risk of death to another person, and thereby causes serious physical injury to another person....Assault in the first degree is a class B felony. (For a class B felony, the penalty is 1-25 years in state prison and may include up to a $5,000 fine.).

Now, as I said, those criminal charges of assault require physical injury, and I haven't even touched on the criminal charges that would be applicable if one of the pedestrians were killed, as happened last month when some guy racing on a bike ran a red light in Australia and killed a pedestrian. If the guys in that video had actually collided with and injured a pedestrian, they could be brought up on criminal assault charges. if a pedestrian were killed by one of these guys, they'd be facing even more serious criminal charges.

In addition to the criminal charge of assault, which requires physical injury, the law also provides for a criminal charge of reckless endangerment:

NY Penal Code, Section 120.20. Reckless Endangerment in the second degree. A person is guilty of reckless endangerment in the second degree when he recklessly engages in conduct which creates a substantial risk of serious physical injury to another person. Reckless endangerment is a class A misdemeanor (punishable by up to one year in jail and may include up to a $1,000 fine.).

NY Penal Code, Section 120.25. Reckless endangerment in the first degree. A person is guilty of reckless endangerment in the first degree when, under circumstances evincing a depraved indifference to human life, he recklessly engages in conduct which creates a grave risk of death to another person. Reckless endangerment in the first degree is a class D felony (punishable by 1-7 years in state prison and may include up to a $5,000 fine.).

While there’s no evidence of criminal assault in the video, there is evidence of multiple counts of reckless endangerment.

So far, I’ve talked about criminal charges. The law also provides civil remedies. Remember that criminal charge of assault? Remember that the criminal charge of assault requires physical injury? Well, under civil law, no injury is required. Under a civil complaint of assault, the plaintiff would only have to show that he/she believed that unwanted physical contact was imminent. And instead of the “beyond a reasonable doubt” standard of proof required for a criminal conviction, the plaintiff would only have to prove assault under a “preponderance of the evidence” standard, meaning that it was more likely than not.

So you asked “assault? where? show me the assault, the assault, show it to me.” Each instance where the guys in this video endangered another person was a separate instance of the crime of reckless endangerment, and a separate instance of the tort of assault. Whether they know it or not, whether you know it or not.

The thing is, I spend most of my time trying to figure out how to prosecute motorists who assault cyclists, and then a bunch of cyclists start crying about how they’re just trying to have fun when they engage in THE EXACT SAME BEHAVIOR.

Rixtir
10-10-2006, 04:19 PM
keep your finger-wagging to yourself. Not everyone in the world rides a bike for the same reasons you do.Yeah, not everybody rides for the same reason. I saw some guy riding his bike last week on a smash and grab—he rode up to cars, smashed their windows, stole stuff out of the back seat, and rode off. Just another part of the “biker community” eh?

Not everyone should have to meet your criteria for "safe and responsible" before putting foot to pedalBut everybody is required to meet the law’s criteria…

Or maybe you could have a section dedicated to senior hybrid commuters in spandex.If you come over and can find a piece of commuter spandex in my closet, I’ll pay your rent for the rest of the year. But if you don’t find it, you have to pay my rent for the rest of the year. :D

And that hybrid? I’ve got 5 bikes currently, not one of them a hybrid. Well, if you call a 29er a hybrid, I suppose I do have a hybrid. Otherwise, not a hybrid in the fleet. The low-cost, all-steel fleet. The most expensive bike I’ve got is my first—a ’77 Motobecane that I paid $250 for, new. The 29er was $200, the one I’m converting to a city bike was $25, and the last two were free.

But keep the stereotypes rolling, they’re great fun…

nishiki
10-10-2006, 04:42 PM
I am sorry to read that you are renting Rix...

Why not buying?

Rixtir
10-10-2006, 04:46 PM
Ah, one needs a steady income to buy, even in Portland.

FixForLife
10-10-2006, 05:02 PM
Yeah, not everybody rides for the same reason. I saw some guy riding his bike last week on a smash and grab—he rode up to cars, smashed their windows, stole stuff out of the back seat, and rode off. Just another part of the “biker community” eh?
and you did nothing? i mean, if you had the chance to watch the guy do it, then why not call the cops or yell and make a scene or something other than telling us on a forum what you saw

Rixtir
10-10-2006, 05:13 PM
and you did nothing? i mean, if you had the chance to watch the guy do it, then why not call the cops or yell and make a scene or something other than telling us on a forum what you sawI did call the cops. He rode off while I was on hold.

You know, I almost took the bike that night. If I had, I could have followed him. But I was on foot, so once he rode off. That was that. If only I had taken the bike...

TCR Punk
10-10-2006, 06:57 PM
If the cycling community is supposed to a be just that, a community, then why is it that the few people that post on here are always arguing about stupid shit? Just a question.

Who cares what kinda bike people ride, as long as they're riding.

The law is a great thing, but I'm not gonna enforce it. I respect it, but I'm not going to tell you, or enforce you, to obey it. We pay taxes so others can get paid to enforce it. I'm sure I have heard the "Man," (Police Officers) ask us to call 911 if we see someone breaking the law, and not to step in. You will be so much help to them if you get shot trying to stop a burglar (i'm being sarcastic.)

Oh and one more thing. I'm not going to change the way i ride, don't ask. And if I blow a stop sign and run a red light from time to time, (or every time) thats my choice. If I get a ticket, thats cool. I'll pay it. I have yet to get one to this date. If you're one of those people that just recently started bicycling because gas prices got to high, or you decided you want to be like Lance Armstrong, fantastic, but I've been riding way longer than you have. So please, with sugar on top, shut the fuck up! and i don't wear spandex. or lycra

P.S. If I could ask Lance Armstrong (for you spandex wanna be Lances) if he blows through stop signs, I'm sure he would say yes. And I do recall him flying through a van rear window, on a training ride in Cali. I wonder how that happened?

BLDZR
10-10-2006, 07:38 PM
The thing is, I spend most of my time trying to figure out how to prosecute motorists who assault cyclists, and then a bunch of cyclists start crying about how they’re just trying to have fun when they engage in THE EXACT SAME BEHAVIOR.

man, the pole up your ass must have a pole up its ass.

One can only think that it must be really hard to have fun and see what's going on when you're looking down your nose at everybody all the time. Me, I'm going to go and play in traffic. I like it when things are dangerous. It makes me feel alive. I even get hurt. All the goddamn time. Last night, I got wasted with a bunch of messengers and celebrated each other for 10-9 day. Somebody's gotta do it. It's a thankless job, and pricks like you who think that life should be like nursery school will never understand why guys like me do what I do for a living, but that's not a big deal. I've farted at better people than you in the elevator.

respond all you want with inane talk about how the laws protect us. I'm off this fucking board. Hell, people like you are what's wrong with Portland cyclists. Too busy stressing to actually live life.

Rixtir
10-10-2006, 07:43 PM
man, the pole up your ass must have a pole up its ass.

One can only think that it must be really hard to have fun and see what's going on when you're looking down your nose at everybody all the time. Me, I'm going to go and play in traffic. I like it when things are dangerous. It makes me feel alive. I even get hurt. All the goddamn time. Last night, I got wasted with a bunch of messengers and celebrated each other for 10-9 day. Somebody's gotta do it. It's a thankless job, and pricks like you who think that life should be like nursery school will never understand why guys like me do what I do for a living, but that's not a big deal. I've farted at better people than you in the elevator.

respond all you want with inane talk about how the laws protect us. I'm off this fucking board. Hell, people like you are what's wrong with Portland cyclists. Too busy stressing to actually live life.I have a policy about flame wars so I'll simply say this...

Whatever....

GelFreak
10-11-2006, 06:31 PM
I only have two words! ... OH SHIT!

Lol, granted it was reckless, endengering pedestrians and possibly drivers lives but all that aside that takes some big big balls, and serious skill.

thinpaperwings
10-11-2006, 11:40 PM
Wow, that was exhilarating : ).

Loved the music: anyone know what it is?

thinpaperwings
10-11-2006, 11:50 PM
I think I figured out what the song is:

Broken Social Scene: Bandwitch

mizake
10-12-2006, 07:53 AM
the original had welcome to the jungle for music.

FixForLife
10-12-2006, 06:38 PM
yes it did....THIS SATURDAY NIGHT!! MT. TABOR PUB, 50th & HAWTHORNE @ 10:30 'SATURDAY NIGHT RACES!

TCR Punk
10-14-2006, 04:24 PM
Motivation... Bad ass good stuff here...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B0xuOFZNjss

Carl
10-18-2006, 05:26 PM
Early morning Paris 1968:

http://bhendrix.com/wall/Gmaps_GVideo_Mashup_Rendezvous.html

I recommend hitting the "satelite" button and zooming in on the map a bit.
People have calculated that he topped 140 mph at certain points.

I'm a treehugger. I avoid domestic air travel, try to eat locally, and am an active member of Portland's Carfree Alliance, but none of that changes the fact that I think 60's Ferraris are beautiful things and I get a thrill out of going very fast, particularly when you're not supposed to. This notorious film is among my favorites and I think of it whenever I see great footage of bicyclists terrorizing the streets of NYC.

Aside: Note how most of these messengers have bikes that coast. Many even have gears and at least one was on a mountain bike. This video is two years old, but I still see more diversity of bike types among NYC messengers than PDX messengers. Discuss.

nishiki
10-19-2006, 08:55 AM
TCR Punk,
This is a great video. I love riding!

Carl,
Not every messenger rides a fixie and no one cares if you eat tofu.