PDA

View Full Version : Portland Bike Vacation. Suggestions?

km_2_go
10-04-2006, 11:37 AM
Hi all,

I am an avid (some might say rabid) cyclist who is planning a vacation to the cycling mecca of the West - Portland!

I live in Moscow, Idaho and would like to spend a week in Portland riding, hanging out with like-minded people, hitting the bike shops to ogle the boutique brands, maybe ride in CM, etc. My sister lives in Portland, so I'll probably be crashing at her place, but otherwise I don't have any plans about what to do or where to go.

I would most likely bring my SS road bike, geared at 50/20 = 67.5". This seems the appropriate choice for all around riding, although if I could I'd probably take my classic cruiser, recumbent and MTB too for a wider range of experiences.

I read bikeportland regularly so have some ideas, but I would appreciate suggestions from locals to make the most of my time in the big city.

Also, if you're interested in showing me the sights or going for a ride, I am easygoing (NOT a Type-A spandex Lance-wannabe) rider who likes going fast when it's safe to do so.

Thanks,
Andy

nm973
10-12-2006, 09:59 PM
Lots of good places to ride. The Portland Wheelmens Touring Club does a group ride almost every day.

In my opinion, the SS is not the best way to see the city. Get something geared. There are some great rides around here, but they usually require some hill climbing, or maybe I just like hills, and a SS is not the best way to climb.

there is some great riding near these areas.
Multnomah Falls
Bald Peak
Skyline
Larch Mountain

Those were all some great rides with beautiful views.
These are some flatter ones.

Springwater corridor
Portland Esplanade (can be really crowded though)

Go to www.motionbased.com and click on the Trail network and do some searches for these rides.

All of the above items i mentioned
Barlow Trail
Spring Century
Reach the Beach
Seattle to Portland
Team Oregon

Then there is trail riding. :)

For bike shops, the local cool shops I know of.

Lakeside bicycles. They have the most beautiful bikes of any shop I know of. Absolutely amazing bikes.

Bike Gallery. Cool shop

River City Bicycles. Huge selections, cool shop.

Hope that helps some.

Rickey Smith
10-14-2006, 07:15 AM
There are a couple clubs in the area the two best for group rides. Vancouver Bike Club and Portland Velo. Portland Velo has a Saturday ride with 75 to 100 riders and they break the groups into about 12 riders per group. With this many riders it makes it easy to find a pace that is compfotable to you. Also a lot of the riders hang out after the ride. Nice way to meet other riders.

noodle
10-15-2006, 11:19 AM
If you go to any of the local bike shops you can buy the "Bike There" map for six bucks. It shows where there are bike lanes, off-street routes, and safe on-street routes all around the Portland metro area. I already know Portland pretty well, but I use it all the time when I feel like going for a bike ride. I just look at it and find an area/route that looks interesting. Personally, I like the Marine Drive trail and the Springwater trail.

flyingdutchman
10-15-2006, 03:54 PM
I'll strongly second the Multnomah Falls suggestion. The Historic Columbia Gorge Highway has got to be my favorite ride. Along with the waterfall section, heading East from Hood River is nice too. Bike/hike only the first few miles, through the Twin Tunnel. Rowena Loops are just a ways farther out.

And yes, all the other trips mentioned are good too.

Enjoy your trip,
Kevin

nuovorecord
10-17-2006, 01:05 PM
If you want to ride out to Lakeside Bicycles in Lake Oswego (well worth the trip!), follow SW Terwilliger Blvd. from downtown. It's a beautiful ride, with great scenery (if the weather is clear). It's hilly though, and as others have noted, a geared bike would make the ride much more enjoyable.

Another nice ride is around Kelley Point, where the Willamette and Columbia rivers converge. Do this ride on the weekend, though, because a portion of the ride is through an industrial area which has a lot of truck traffic M-F.

Finally, riding around Sauvie Island is a nice flat ride. Could be a lot of traffic this weekend, though. Lots of farmers markets, pumpkin patches and corn mazes this time of year.

km_2_go
11-05-2006, 11:00 AM
Thanks for all your suggestions! It looks like I'll be hitting Portland in the late-Spring.

Andy