PDA

View Full Version : The "Communified Ride"

Jonathan Maus
01-16-2006, 07:27 AM
"Communified" is a mix between community and unified. I'd like to do a ride that brings together all the different bike groups in town. Wouldn't it be cool to have Slug Velo riding alongside Zoobombers and lycra-clad racers?

I'm thinking Pedalpalooza in June would be the perfect time to do it? If I can get someone from each club on board to encourage it within their group I think we could have a great turnout and a memorable ride.

Any input or feedback?

Bike Bat (Carye)
01-18-2006, 11:51 AM
Yes, Great idea for Pedalpalooza. Also each representive from the ride could make an announcement about their events and where to find info. Who's Who in Bike Culture in Portland. This might be more of an EVENT then a ride. Let me know Jonathan if you need some help brainstorming ideas for this.

-Carye

Anonymous
01-19-2006, 09:17 PM
I would be super into this! I'd love to have a ride that really demonstrates that everybody rides in Portland...young, old, professional, punky, upright, 'bent, mini, fast, slow...

felix
01-24-2006, 02:54 PM
I would be into it. Sounds like a great idea!

Justa
01-24-2006, 10:11 PM
well, i promise to show up :)

Jonathan Maus
01-25-2006, 09:03 PM
Glad the response is good so far. I think this is definitely going to happen.
Here's a longer list of clubs/groups I'd love to see represented from:

Slug Velo
Axles of Evil
Chunk 666
Zoobomb
Belligerantes
Shift
Portland Velo
Portland Wheelmen
OBRA Teams
Oregon Human Powered Vehicles
Westside Freeride
PDX Triathlon Club
BTA
PDOT
CCC
b.i.k.e.

Any others I've forgotten?...

Greg Raisman
01-25-2006, 09:32 PM
How about inviting the City Club? Last summer, the Local Innovations Bicycle Ride had 100 people attend. Many were people I haven't seen at any other group rides.

I'm still contemplating a similar ride this year. The idea is to go to places that have seen environmental, architectural, and economic innovation in Portland over the past year. At each stop, there was a speaker who was central to the innovation. We carried a little amp (thanks Timo) so there was a microphone for the speaker at each stop. It was free, moneywise, but had some great help from people like Chris Smith who helped line up copying of the route map from Xerox Corp for free.

hmmm... maybe a second Local Innovations Bicycle Ride is a subject for another post on this forum.

Jonathan Maus
01-25-2006, 10:56 PM
hmmm... maybe a second Local Innovations Bicycle Ride is a subject for another post on this forum.

Yeah, great idea Greg...I'm sort of curious how effective these forums can be for organizing rides (from idea to execution), so I'd love to see you start a new thread about that ride. I'd be sure to name the thread "Local Innovations ride" so it's easy to find...and then of course you'd make sure to tick "watch this topic" so you automatically get an email whenever someone replies.

Richard S
01-26-2006, 06:25 AM

Greg, I think another Local Innovations ride would be a great idea. In fact, this is something that should probably be a yearly event. It would combine exercise outdoors with building the community.

bikejunkie
01-28-2006, 12:45 PM
I would be happy to bring my trailer and represent the 'unofficial' bike move group to demonstrate how to carry small or large stuff with a bike.
Aaron

AgentLapis
02-16-2006, 07:45 PM
I can represent the Sprockettes.

jgadamski
02-23-2006, 07:32 AM
PUMP, and must be several other groups.

Jonathan Maus
02-23-2006, 07:58 AM
PUMP, and must be several other groups.

Of course...geez how did I forget PUMP! They would definitely need to be involved.