PDA

View Full Version : Funeral for Cyclist killed on Helvetia/W Union- Mike Kalan

Confido8
09-19-2006, 07:18 PM
There will be a funeral service at 2pm on Friday, Sept. 22, 2006, at St Matthews Lutheran Church, for Mike Kalan who died on 9/15 in an accident while riding on West Union in Helvetia, http://www.bikeportland.org/forum/showthread.php?t=450

Funeral Address for St Matthews Lutheran Church:
10390 SW Canyon Rd.
Beaverton, OR

There will also be a viewing on Wed, 9/20 from 6-8pm.
Donelson, Sewell & Matthews Mortuary: 171 NE Third Ave, Hillsboro, OR

Mike is survived by his wife Wendy, 6 year old son and 3 year old daugher. Mike was 35 and moved to Portland with his family from Ohio in June '06.

bbstanley
09-20-2006, 06:53 AM
There will be a funeral service at 2pm on Friday, Sept. 22, 2006, at St Matthews Lutheran Church, for Mike Kanan who died on 9/15

His last name is actually Kalan.

Confido8
09-20-2006, 07:59 AM
His last name is actually Kalan.

Thanks, it was late when i posted last night. Wendy came over and wasn't sure how to get the word out to some of his cyclist friends so I hoped that by posting here, the word would get out.

ben
09-20-2006, 09:31 AM
i'm planning on leaving work early on friday (from NE 111th and Knott, Portland) and would like to bike to the funeral.
any recommmendations on a route?

bbstanley
09-20-2006, 09:40 AM
Thanks, it was late when i posted last night. Wendy came over and wasn't sure how to get the word out to some of his cyclist friends so I hoped that by posting here, the word would get out.

No worries. We have one desingnated caller over here who knows Wendy better than my Husband and I. We just don't want to add another ring to her phone so I'm using this thread and our friend to get info. Do you know if there is a designated place where we can send flowers since we can't fly out for the funeral?

We have spread the word as best we could around the chicago area and to former shops that he has rode for. In doing this, I have referred A TON of people to this forum. If anyone has any additional info, please post. We are all getting this info. second-hand and in a trickle-down manner.

Thanks!

By the way, Ben, I think it is awesome that you are going to ride to Mike's funeral. Honestly, its a good point to make and great tribute to Mike. Believe me, if we could, there would be dozens of others riding with you. We'll be there in spirit.

ben
09-20-2006, 10:01 AM
i want to make a sign for my bike and/or back while i'm making the trek out.
something for all the drivers that pass me on the way...
something that raises awareness to this situation...

yet at the same time i want to remain sensitive to his loved ones...
afterall, Friday should be about Mike. Not about the sick/righteously angry feelings in my stomach.

bbstanley
09-20-2006, 10:13 AM
i want to make a sign for my bike and/or back while i'm making the trek out.
something for all the drivers that pass me on the way...
something that raises awareness to this situation...

yet at the same time i want to remain sensitive to his loved ones...
afterall, Friday should be about Mike. Not about the sick/righteously angry feelings in my stomach.

I hear you. I've felt sick all week about it and infuriorated at the same time. I have only brought myself to ride once this week, and just feel so sad whenever I see my bike. I understand your desire to raise awareness and would want to do the same thing, but I think that by just riding to the funeral, maybe wearing all black or something... you ARE making a statement. I just don't think a lot of motorists get it. I was reading a previous article about a radio DJ out there who slammed cyclists by saying he laughs when one is killed, and only until he got out on a bike himself, was he able to change his viewpoint. More motorists need to do this.

Thanks for caring.

Confido8
09-20-2006, 10:19 AM
Do you know if there is a designated place where we can send flowers since we can't fly out for the funeral?

I think the best place to send flowers would be St Matthews Church, they will coordinate for them to reach Wendy & the family.

St. Matthew's Lutheran Church
10390 SW Canyon Rd.
Beaverton, OR 97005
(503)644-9148

bbstanley
09-20-2006, 11:06 AM
I think the best place to send flowers would be St Matthews Church, they will coordinate for them to reach Wendy & the family.

St. Matthew,s Lutheran Church
10390 SW Canyon Rd.
Beaverton, OR 97005
(503)644-9148

Thanks so much. I was also thinking about making a donation to a cycling organization in Mike's name. Does anyone have any ideas?

Hal Ballard, LCI 815 C,M
09-20-2006, 07:33 PM
i'm planning on leaving work early on friday (from NE 111th and Knott, Portland) and would like to bike to the funeral.

Ben,
the easiest way is take MAX to Beaverton Transit Center and then go south to Canyon and then east to the church.

If you want to pedal all the way, HWY 26 to the Sylvan/Canyon Rd. exit is the most direct route.

The church is on the south side of the road and bike lanes, whether from MAX or Hwy 26 practically all the way.

I, too, plan to be there.

Hal

Confido8
09-20-2006, 07:40 PM

Ben- Here is a post from the ORBA List, a group is planning to meet @ the Beaverton MAX Transit Center and then riding as a group to the Church:

Subject: Ride to Mike Kalan's funeral Friday

I didn't know Mike, but I ride out where he was killed and it could have
been me.

Join me and others to show your support for our right to use the road
(unharmed), and to show your support for Mike's family.

If you can't ride directly to the service in your work clothes, take the
MAX and meet at the Beaverton Transit Center and we'll ride from there.
It's about 2-3 miles.

Below is a schedule that will get you to the Beaverton Transit Center
around 1:30.

Plan to depart as soon as the westbound train has unloaded.

From Hillsboro

TriMet: MAX Blue Line -- Weekdays
to City Center/Gresham or PDX Airport

Hatfield Government Center 12:58P
Fair Complex /Hillsboro Airpor1:06P
Willow Creek /SW 185th Ave TC 1:15P
Elmonica /SW 170th Ave 1:20P
Merlo Road/SW 158th Ave 1:21P
Beaverton TC 1:29P

From downtown / eastside

to City Center/Hillsboro

Cleveland Ave 12:25P
Ruby Junction / E 197th Ave 12:31P
Rockwood TC/E 188th Ave 12:33P
E 122nd Ave 12:43P
Gateway TC/NE 99th Ave 12:48P
Hollywood TC /NE 42nd Ave 12:55P
Rose Quarter Transit Center 1:02P
Old Town /Chinatown 1:05P
Pioneer Square North 1:12P
Goose Hollow/SW Jefferson 1:19P
Washington Park 1:23P
Sunset TC 1:28P
Beaverton TC 1:33P

If you take your bike on a bus, you'll just have to figure it out for
yourself.

Evan

Hal Ballard, LCI 815 C,M
09-20-2006, 07:42 PM
Thanks so much. I was also thinking about making a donation to a cycling organization in Mike's name. Does anyone have any ideas?

BB Stanley
The WashCo BTC is a 501(c)(3) non profit whose mission is to promote bicycle transportation, protect bicyclists' rights and improve bicycling conditions throughout Washington County, Oregon through education and advocacy. Contact us directly via info@washcobtc.org

As we currently have no staff and little overhead, your donation will go directly toward the fulfillment of our mission. If you visit the Action Alerts and Announcements Forum, (http://www.bikeportland.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9) you will see what we're doing with regard to this and the other deaths here.

Your donation AND your ideas are most welcome and not in that order.

Hal Ballard, LCI 815 C,M
09-20-2006, 07:52 PM
Ben- Here is a post from the ORBA List, a group is planning to meet @ the Beaverton MAX Transit Center and then riding as a group to the Church:

If you can't ride directly to the service in your work clothes, take the
MAX and meet at the Beaverton Transit Center and we'll ride from there.
It's about 2-3 miles.

Below is a schedule that will get you to the Beaverton Transit Center
around 1:30.

Plan to depart as soon as the westbound train has unloaded.

From Hillsboro

to City Center/Gresham or PDX Airport

Hatfield Government Center 12:58P
Fair Complex /Hillsboro Airpor1:06P
Willow Creek /SW 185th Ave TC 1:15P
Elmonica /SW 170th Ave 1:20P
Merlo Road/SW 158th Ave 1:21P
Beaverton TC 1:29P

From downtown / eastside

to City Center/Hillsboro

Cleveland Ave 12:25P
Ruby Junction / E 197th Ave 12:31P
Rockwood TC/E 188th Ave 12:33P
E 122nd Ave 12:43P
Gateway TC/NE 99th Ave 12:48P
Hollywood TC /NE 42nd Ave 12:55P
Rose Quarter Transit Center 1:02P
Old Town /Chinatown 1:05P
Pioneer Square North 1:12P
Goose Hollow/SW Jefferson 1:19P
Washington Park 1:23P
Sunset TC 1:28P
Beaverton TC 1:33P

If you take your bike on a bus, you'll just have to figure it out for
yourself.

Evan

bbstanley
09-21-2006, 07:13 AM

I just want to say how happy I am that so many people care and are taking action. This is a great honor to his family and I really wish I could be there.
Be safe.

ben
09-21-2006, 05:41 PM
it would mean a lot to me to ride with that group.

my boss just granted me approval to leave work early to do this....so i should be able to make it there (beaverton TC) in time.

Confido8
09-21-2006, 06:25 PM
From Wednesday's Oregonian:

Michael Allen Kalan
Wednesday, September 20, 2006

A funeral will be at 2 p.m. Friday, Sept. 22, 2006, in St. Matthew's Lutheran Church in Beaverton for Michael Allen Kalan, who died Sept. 15 in a bicycle-car accident at age 35.

Mr. Kalan was born April 24, 1971, in Denver. He graduated from Valparaiso University and lived in Wapakoneta, Ohio, before moving to Portland last June. He worked for Parker Hannifin for the past 10 years, most recently promoted to plant superintendent. In 1995, he married Wendy Fabricius.

Survivors include his wife; son, Alexander; daughter, McKenna; parents, Darko and Judy; and sisters, Kristy Kalan and Jenny Johns.

Remembrances to a fund for his children at Wells Fargo Bank. Arrangements by Donelson Sewell & Mathews.

ben
09-21-2006, 09:57 PM
i think i may have been to the BTC a couple of times, but i've never got off there. where will everyone be congregating?
will they be easy to spot?

bbstanley
09-22-2006, 03:29 PM
Can someone who went to Mike's funeral please update me? I realize this sounds extremely morbid, but I'm just wondering if a lot of people showed up and how it went. His Chicago friends were there in spirit.

Additionally, has anyone heard if the woman who hit him was charged?

Confido8
09-22-2006, 07:06 PM
Can someone who went to Mike's funeral please update me? I realize this sounds extremely morbid, but I'm just wondering if a lot of people showed up and how it went. His Chicago friends were there in spirit.

BB,
I was at the funeral today, and there was a good showing of people, from family to co-workers to friends from around the country. I also noticed about 4-5 cyclists that rode to the service.

I think the service was best summed up by Darell Provencher from OBRA who also attended: http://list.obra.org/posts/obra/show/31287

If you would like to make a contribution in any way to Mike's family, there is a fund that has been set up for his children, Alex and McKenna:
Checks to:
Alex and McKenna Kalan
c/o Wells Fargo Bank
2645 NW Town Center Drive
Beaverton, OR 97006

Thanks again to everyone who has shown support durring this difficult week since the accident.

-Chris