PDA

View Full Version : Another fatality

tworivers
09-17-2006, 08:18 PM
Bicyclist killed on coast highway
Posted by The Oregonian newsroom September 17, 2006 16:02

A motorist struck and killed a bicyclist this morning as he was riding on the shoulder of U.S. 101, near the north end of Newport, state police said.

Jere L. Quinn, 69, of Montana, was dead at the scene. He was not wearing a bike helmet. Police said he was vacationing with his wife, staying at Beverly Beach State Park.

The accident occurred about 8 a.m.

Barbara J. Gill, 58, of Newport, was driving southbound, near milepost 136, when her small SUV drifted onto the highway shoulder, struck a mailbox and then collided head-on with the bicyclist.

Quinn was riding his bike northbound on the shoulder of the southbound lanes, police said.

A preliminary investigation indicates driver fatigue may have been a contributing factor.

Gill suffered minor injuries. She was treated and released from Pacific Communities Hospital in Newport.

Oregon state troopers from the Newport area command office are continuing to investigate. Because of low staffing levels, no OSP troopers were on duty at the time and had to be called out to respond, Lt. Gregg Hastings said.

U.S. 101 was closed about 2 1/2 hours with a detour set up during the investigation.

Jonathan Maus
09-18-2006, 07:40 AM
That's the second time the Oregonian has used the word "drifted" in a bike/car fatality story.

there's something about that word that completely absolves the motorists from any wrongdoing. ...as if there's an acceptable margin of error in operating a motor vehicle, and that if you happen to be riding withing that margin, it's just collateral damage.

Something needs to be done about these crashes and the way they're reported. We need someone from either political office or the advocacy community to step up and make some noise ASAP.

Bjorn
09-18-2006, 08:35 AM
I just wanted to note that on the coast in a lot of places you are supposed to bike on the southbound side because the road is too narrow to have bike lanes on both sides. Since most people ride south if they are touring the bike lane is on the southbound side. The article kind of implys that he was riding on the wrong side of the road, but he was probably doing what you are supposed to do.

bjorn

Climber
09-18-2006, 09:50 PM
[SIZE="3"]Barbara J. Gill, 58, of Newport, was driving southbound, near milepost 136, when her small SUV drifted onto the highway shoulder, struck a mailbox and then collided head-on with the bicyclist.

I wonder if Ms Barbara J Gill of Newport was the same SUV driver I saw on 101 this weekend going 75 mph + on the curves between Manzanita and Cannon Beach. "Drifting" over every square foot of paved surface, including a nice 4 foot bike lane.

Wait, I take that back... I wonder if she was one of about TWO DOZEN drivers doing the same.

I feel endangered driving my car at 55 on that road. People - locals and tourists alike - are crazy there.

What will it take to get police speed enforcement on our roads that actually makes a difference?

Wait, I take that back, too... It requires a state legislature that provides adequate funding. Meaning backbone enough to even know how to pronounce the words "fair taxes" and "social contract."

Arrrgg... I am so depressed.