PDA

View Full Version : And so it Begins

FixForLife
09-14-2006, 11:51 AM
the rain......crap! i almost forgot where i lived for like 2 months. i guess that just means city block long skid stops! wooooooo!

GelFreak
09-14-2006, 12:09 PM
/\ amen, lmao

thomschoenborn
09-14-2006, 12:39 PM
Smart Thom: Bought new brake pads last week.

Dumb Thom: They're still in the packaging, sitting on my workbench.

geoff
09-14-2006, 12:50 PM
This will be my first commute in the rain, and I don't have fenders yet...

SEA_poseur_n_PDX
09-14-2006, 03:20 PM
so hey - is that "first rain of the season" = oily roads saying an urban myth? or do we all get to slide around for the first week? never quite figured out if that was true or not.

trudat on the rain. I love my winter-beater-bike; but nothing beats the shiny summer single-speed.

sigh.

GelFreak
09-14-2006, 03:37 PM
From personal experince Sea I'd say that it is more slick when it hasnt rained in a while. I'm not sure if I'd say the first week or the first day, but either way def be more careful when its raining after a long dry spell.

Rixtir
09-14-2006, 07:12 PM
so hey - is that "first rain of the season" = oily roads saying an urban myth? or do we all get to slide around for the first week? never quite figured out if that was true or not.Definitely true.

trudat on the rain. I love my winter-beater-bike; but nothing beats the shiny summer single-speed.

sigh.Although a fixie will give you better control on slippery surfaces...

dan
09-14-2006, 07:56 PM
the reason the road is so slippery today is because all of the oil that drips off cars has been drying on the asphalt all summer long. once it gets wet, it floats on top as it runs off with the water. into the river, into the ocean.

thomschoenborn
09-14-2006, 09:29 PM
I left work and it was sprinkling a little so I was like, eh, how bad can it be? Sure I didn't have booties or my wet jacket, but I had a wind vest and arm warmers and knee warmers. I'll go for a little ride, maybe just an hour. How cold could I get?

An hour later, soaked to the bone, frooooooooozen, I limped home. Omigod. Last time I do that.

How cold can it get? Really, really, really cold.

Duh.

FixForLife
09-15-2006, 04:01 AM
Definitely true.

Although a fixie will give you better control on slippery surfaces...

used a geared bike awhile back, just couldn't stop with all the water on the brake pads. and then, on my fix, "i'm like i'm gonna slow down a shit ways back....and then i skid stop all the way.... and shit doesn't stop me either....damn you portland rain!!!!!" whatever though, i love riding in the rain, even though the torrential downpour stops 5 mins. later. it's still fun, i konw gel freak loves it too :-)

Haven_kd7yct
09-15-2006, 08:21 AM
I've been on a ride in the rain, but only once.

It was even my idea. Dumb. Got cold.

I haven't ever commuted in the rain, though. I also don't have fenders, although while shopping for my 4-y.o. niece's birthday present (bike stuff) at REI, I did check fenders out.

This morning, I layered up and even packed my rain pants for "just in case", but didn't need it. Yet.

:) Kt

GelFreak
09-15-2006, 10:51 AM
..... it's still fun, i konw gel freak loves it too :-)

LMAO!! Gotta keep the spare gel bottle in the pack! :D

Rixtir
09-15-2006, 02:25 PM
used a geared bike awhile back, just couldn't stop with all the water on the brake pads. and then, on my fix, "i'm like i'm gonna slow down a shit ways back....and then i skid stop all the way.... and shit doesn't stop me either....damn you portland rain!!!!!" whatever though, i love riding in the rain, even though the torrential downpour stops 5 mins. later. it's still fun, i konw gel freak loves it too :-)I don't have a fixed gear...yet... but from what I've read, you have better feedback from your rear wheel about traction and slippage. Which is why I'll eventually add a winter fixie to my stable.

For best braking in wet weather, they say you need an internal hub brake.

Now, if we could have a fixed gear for traction control, with an internal hub brake for braking control, we'd have the best winter bike technology could build.

shhambo
09-15-2006, 07:40 PM
I love riding in the rain, but wow did I get soaked yesterday! I had my raincoat and pants, but couldn't find my booties. I found out the hard way my pants arn't waterproof. By the time rain turned to hail I was soaked to the bone. I decided I would rather be riding wet then standing under a bridge wet so I just kept going. My reward? A great ride and 2 beautiful rainbows in the sky.

jami
09-15-2006, 09:36 PM
i'm glad i'm not the only person who's ever mistaken "pants too ugly not to be waterproof" for waterproof pants.

i got soaked yesterday, was still shivering hours later in dry clothes, but it inspired me to finally order the full kit from rei. it was surprisingly cheap!

pants were only $18 (looks like i got the last of the women's -- sorry gals):
http://www.rei.com/online/store/ProductDisplay?storeId=8000&catalogId=40000008000&productId=47860534&parent_category_rn=4501459

and you get 15% off both if you buy the matching $29 coat:
http://www.rei.com/online/store/ProductDisplay?storeId=8000&catalogId=40000008000&productId=47894348&parent_category_rn=4501867

i don't work for rei, but man i loves me a bargain.