PDA

View Full Version : Blumenhauer responds on 95.5 incident

bikejunkie
09-13-2006, 12:07 AM
Here is a letter sent to me by Rep. Blumenhauer. It sounds to me as if Mr. Macnamara got exactly what he wants. Any time a complaint comes up now, the BTA is used to placate the person. I am not convinced that this situation has been resolved.
:confused:
"Thank you for contacting me with your concerns over the inflammatory comments made on Portland's local radio station, Jammin 95.5 regarding violence against bicycles. I strongly agree that the comments promoting reckless and retaliatory acts against cyclists were not only offensive, but a major public safety concern. I was glad to see that the DJ responsible for those comments issued an on-air apology and admitted he had acted irresponsibly. Tim McNamara, KXJM's station manager has also been in contact with local bike groups such as the Bicycle Transportation Alliance to find a constructive outcome to the situation. I was pleased to see that out of this disturbing situation came many productive discussions about the lack of education of both drivers and bikers on Oregon's road laws. This deficiency of public knowledge and available information is a safety threat to everyone who shares the roads and should be addressed by the Oregon Department of Vehicles. Thank you again for sharing your thoughts on bike safety. I will continue to work toward greater education and integration of bike on our roadways. Sincerely, Earl Blumenauer Member of Congress For more information on my work in Congress and to sign up to receive electronic updates about these and other matters, please visit my website at http://blumenauer.house.gov."

FixForLife
09-13-2006, 01:37 AM
wow, that was lame. nothing was resolved from all of it

GelFreak
09-13-2006, 07:28 AM
Well you know what not to be rude, but we had the oppurtunity to get what we wanted. Yet we couldnt come to a conclusion on what exactly we wanted out of it. Then there were some that weren't satisfied and wanted more. So I guess that's what the mass's decided was to go for more by dragging out the situation and look what happened now....Nothing!

We had the chance to do something and we let is slip through....period. Lesson Learned...I hope

eagerdrone
09-13-2006, 07:56 AM
It sounds like for some of us, the issue is still unresolved. Just because it seems to be over for now, the issue will come up again, this is inevitable. I think it's important to recognize the ways in which we, as a community, can handle it better? How might we personally have liked to see the situation to be handled this time, that might be applicable to next time?

I personally think that greater Portland, doesn't have a great deal of respect for cyclists, I think they see cyclists as in the way and taht we are highly disrespectful of the laws that they, the motorists feel obligated to abide by. I am saddened by this and I try to communicate this to my non-cycle friends/family and I'm not giving up my bike because others are upset but I do try to understand how they feel and why they might become frustrated enough to mutter violent things. the issue of the radio station is another thing and I think the radio station should have been upfront and honest by helping to improve the community by discovering their part in the situation and working to correct it. The role of the government should have been similiar, encouraging the radio station manager to approach the situation constructively. I greatly appreciate the fact that out of it came the personal involvement of the DJ with the bike community. It takes a lot of courage to constructively confront those whom you feel angry with and are maybe afraid of communicating with, even if your boss tells you that you have to do it.

Each day we have the opportunity to learn from what is happening around us, how we and others manage a situation, and how we in turn react to them. We can use this knowledge we gain to develop strategies for handling similiar situations in the future.

FixForLife
09-13-2006, 10:40 AM
you know, the following monday, a girl and i were the only ones to ride up to the station and do anything. the dj wouldn't even let us in to talk after he was saying no one came by. so, not to be rude gelfreak, but i did go after my oppurnity and was denied access. so, please tell me what you did, because it sounds like you must have spearheaded the whole campaign. did you send a letter to everyone you could think of? whatever, i don't care about what you did, all that matters is these assholes got away murder and are laughing about now.

GelFreak
09-13-2006, 12:33 PM
Well if you must know,

I emailed;
-FCC & Filed an internet report
-Tom Porter
-PK from Jammin 95.5 (thats why the email response post was on the main page of this site...that info came from an email that I sent to him and CC'd Jonathan...He responded to both I and Jonathan. If you'd like a copy of the original email just ask.)
-PDX Mayor
-Called and emailed Tim M.
-Spoke with Jonathan on the phone regarding what would be best for the portland cycling community (in my opinion of course)...and pushed that we settle it in a timly manner as not to loose community support.

Sorry I didnt physically go anywhere but I prefer to be more behind the scene when it comes to these matters.

Oh and that is awesome that you went to the radio station...I'm not putting anyone down. I'm just saying we lost an awesome oppurtunity because we dragged out the situation.

pak ratt
09-13-2006, 02:04 PM
I'm not in the area-- but I love your board and have lurked for a while...

is 95.5 a clear channel station? If so-- they caught heat for the same thing in San Antonio Texas last year and in Houston two years ago-- I will try to find the link and post it--

Pak

pak ratt
09-14-2006, 04:56 AM
I'm not in the area-- but I love your board and have lurked for a while...

is 95.5 a clear channel station? If so-- they caught heat for the same thing in San Antonio Texas last year and in Houston two years ago-- I will try to find the link and post it--

Pak

Here is the link to one of the incidents--

http://www.bikemojo.com/speak/showthread.php?t=18386&highlight=%22clear+channel%22

TCR Punk
09-14-2006, 01:45 PM
The "WW" wrote an aticle about it, like a week after the Playhouse trashed cyclists and what not. Check it out... http://www.wweek.com/editorial/3238/7793/ He kinda did eat his own words.

alpinejunkie
09-17-2006, 08:02 AM
Thank God for the first ammendment. So we can say anything we want, including DJ's. I can't believe anybody would take the 95.5 people so seriously anyways, they're imbeciles, do nothing but blow smoke out their ass, and nobody has to listen to them if they don't want. The only way I know about them is because there are people who are so easily entertained by them that they have to subject other people (like me) to that crap.