PDA

View Full Version : Belmont--Accident

Bjorn
09-11-2006, 08:49 AM
I hang out over by the belmont inn sometimes and have seen people driving very fast through the area. The only details I have about this crash are from indymedia.

http://portland.indymedia.org/en/2006/09/345693.shtml

Bjorn

ben
09-11-2006, 12:53 PM
yeah, i'm curious of the outcome myself.
i live just a few blocks away....and saw all the police cars blocking off belmont after the street fair.

to say i'm concerned is an understatement.
who blows through 34th and belmont at 50mph???
nevermind running a red light...
and at the end of a crowded street fair...

Bjorn
09-12-2006, 08:48 AM
Whenever I sit at the tables outside the Triple Nickle it always seems that I see at least one car go by at what seems like a substantially higher speed than 25 mph, hard to say if 50 is particularly common though. Seems like this might be more important than front brakes on fixed gears though.

bjorn

bootpdx
09-12-2006, 10:06 AM
I really don't understand any biker nowadays who chooses not to wear a helmet. I don't condone speeding through lights in a car, but I am always dumbfounded when I see the occasional biker without a helmet. It is so easy to put on and wear and can undoubtedly save your life. I just don't understand......

thbt
09-12-2006, 05:20 PM
Belmont is one of the major thoroughfares through the area and cars do go fast down Belmont. But the bike route is just two blocks over on Salmon and Taylor. It's way safer than people who try to bike along the traffic on Belmont.

See the SE bike map:

http://www.portlandonline.com/shared/cfm/image.cfm?id=101519

(This is a bit of a separate tangent... the accident that started this thread was at an intersection and the bicyclist was in the crosswalk, so that's a whole different situation...)

Rixtir
09-12-2006, 06:16 PM
Was she walking across, or riding across? How far across had she gotten when she was hit?

Rixtir
09-12-2006, 06:20 PM
I really don't understand any biker nowadays who chooses not to wear a helmet. I don't condone speeding through lights in a car, but I am always dumbfounded when I see the occasional biker without a helmet. It is so easy to put on and wear and can undoubtedly save your life. I just don't understand......Almost every cyclist I see isn't wearing a helmet.

Now, for the dumbfounded part of your post.... I would prefer to wear a helmet, but can't afford one, so I have ridden without one. I'm going to try really, really hard to get one this month, but to answer your question, not everybody who wants a helmet can afford one.

My guess, though, is that a lot of cyclists just don't believe in helmets.

bootpdx
09-12-2006, 07:02 PM
Almost every cyclist I see isn't wearing a helmet.

Now, for the dumbfounded part of your post.... I would prefer to wear a helmet, but can't afford one, so I have ridden without one. I'm going to try really, really hard to get one this month, but to answer your question, not everybody who wants a helmet can afford one.

My guess, though, is that a lot of cyclists just don't believe in helmets.

Really too bad that bikers don't "believe in helmets". Isn't there a way to provide free helmetsto bikers? I can't believe in this bike mecca of a city that there is no organization which provides free helmets.

I would be surprised if you couldn't find a helmet at a thrift store. I guess I am from the weird dimension where people who buy bikes, buy a helmet as well. Can we take up a collection to get Rixtir a helmet?

Rixtir
09-12-2006, 07:11 PM
Really too bad that bikers don't "believe in helmets". Isn't there a way to provide free helmetsto bikers? I can't believe in this bike mecca of a city that there is no organization which provides free helmets.

I would be surprised if you couldn't find a helmet at a thrift store. I guess I am from the weird dimension where people who buy bikes, buy a helmet as well. Can we take up a collection to get Rixtir a helmet?My bike is off the road for another week or two, and by the time I get it back on the road, I'll have hit up my family for helmet money for my birthday. But thanks.

I agree, there should be something like Get Lit (providing lights to cyclists) that provides helmets to cyclists who can't afford one.

dan
09-12-2006, 08:18 PM
i think that it's going in the wrong direction to focus on the helmet issue in regards to something like this. yes, people should be wearing helmets on bikes, but that's not the point. the point is that people drive without regard to the lives of others, and i don't think it does any good to shift the ocus away from that. people can choose for themselves whether or not to wear a helmet, but everyone has the right to feel safe with or without one. don't forget that.

Haven_kd7yct
09-13-2006, 07:56 AM
Amen, dan!

ben
09-13-2006, 08:57 AM
i know of AT LEAST two organizations in pdx that provide new helmets for 5 and 8 dollars respectively. various stipulations apply.
just let me know if you want their contact info.

also: theres occasionally events where free NEW helmets are handed out. mult. county bike fair a couple of months ago is one example. i know hundreds of people got 'em there...AND were properly fitted as well.

and then theres always buying a used one at goodwill or a yard sale. they only cost a couple of bucks there.
it's better than nothing, but i'd still recommend springing for a new one, so you know the history of its impacts (or lack thereof).

all i know is anytime an accident like the one on belmont happens....its just strengthens the guilt i have anytime i think of taking off without one.
i've been hit twice by drivers....both times were on or near belmont. both times i had my helmet on. just further proof i shouldn't just wear it for long commutes, but around my hood as well.

editrixpdx
09-13-2006, 06:36 PM
Still on the sidebar: Took the words right outta my mouth = got my (very nice, hardly used) helmet at a garage sale for one dollah! Yeah doggies!

bootpdx
09-14-2006, 07:13 PM
i think that it's going in the wrong direction to focus on the helmet issue in regards to something like this. yes, people should be wearing helmets on bikes, but that's not the point. the point is that people drive without regard to the lives of others, and i don't think it does any good to shift the ocus away from that. people can choose for themselves whether or not to wear a helmet, but everyone has the right to feel safe with or without one. don't forget that.

Point well made and taken.

Tbiker
09-15-2006, 10:34 PM

Agreed. I wear a helmet to protect myself against an unsafe driver, not because I might accidently fall off my bike.

ultragrrl
08-08-2007, 08:26 PM
I'm the cyclist who was hit at SE 34th and Belmont last September 9. First, thanks to all of you who expressed your get well wishes - it's part of why I love being in the Portland cycling community. I thought I'd give you an update, since several people wondered at the outcome...and unless we die, the newspaper seems to lose interest.

I don't remember anything of the accident, but I was riding southbound on 34th Ave and saw the light turn green, so I started across the intersection. He apparently came westbound and did not see the light - the sun was in his eyes. Initially I guess they weren't sure I'd make it, and then it was a few days of not knowing how bad the head injury was. I was in ICU at OHSU for two days, then moved to the regular hospital, and released two days later. I remember none of the accident and very little of the first month afterwards. My injuries were remarkably minor, considering the guy hit me doing about 30 mph. My arm was broken in two places up by my shoulder (which subsequently got frozen), my right orbit (above my eye) was fractured, and my hip was very badly bruised. I damaged one of my cranial nerves which left me with double vision, which I had surgery for in March. I also had a brain hematoma that they were concerned would leave me with permanent brain damage. As a massage therapist, though, I was out of work for 4 months, which aside from the pain was the worst part of it.

I'm happy to report that 11 months later, I'm back to 100 percent, with all my brain and personality intact; I've run three marathons this year, do pullups at the gym, and am back to work full time and commuting on my bike. Yes, I wear a helmet now. However, one doctor did say that with helmets, they see the impact transmitted to the neck, so had I been wearing my helmet I may have had some kind of neck injury.

And what happened to the 25 year old, uninsured guy who hit me? He got a ticket for running the red light, and a ticket for being uninsured. That's it. I'm angry that no other charges were brought against him, but with the new bill that has been passed in the state legislature, drivers should begin to be held responsible for actions like his. So when he's just about to get his license back, I'll be paying off the last of my medical bills. Oh well - I'm alive.

Drive, and cycle, carefully, everyone.
T.J. Ford

tvhwy
08-09-2007, 04:40 PM
You're a tough cookie, T.J.! Glad you came out of it well.