PDA

View Full Version : Bike Lockers And Securing Bikes

Budro
02-02-2006, 04:47 PM
I see bike lockers are available in various locations (http://www.portlandonline.com/transportation/index.cfm?&a=58383&c=34813). I'll go and do a visual inspection of them, but I'm wondering what y'all think of them. Are they secure? Are the free ones (like at the Sunset Transit Center) generally available or are they always full? I'm assuming that availablility of the downtown ones where you have to pay by the month isn't a problem.

For y'all that work downtown especially in the Koin Tower area, where do you park your bikes? I've always kept by bikes in or around my cubicle, but my new job is up on the 9th floor and I don't think they'll appreciate me bringing my bike indoors.

What I'm also thinking about is using a bike that is just too crappy to steal. That way I can just lock it at a bike rack on the street and not worry about it. The Recyclery has a $60 bike that I can ugly up a bit (won't take much). All my other bikes are too precious to leave on the street.

josh m
02-02-2006, 05:04 PM
I'd inquire about bicycle parking in the building.
I work in the Pacific Building (between 5th and 6th on yamhill)and we have a huge rack in the basement everyone locks their bikes to.
People seem to feel pretty secure about it as there are several very nice bikes kept down there unlocked.

though we have no actual car parking except for two spots out front, so we have the bike rack and our company provides all zone/all year bus passes.

I work graveyard usually so most of the time I just bring my bike up and keep it in my cube, that way i don't have to go all the way to the basement to get it when I go riding on my breaks.

I was locking it up outside the building when i worked days, but then the one day they asked me to work late, someone stole my clip on fender. bah. they would have been better off stealing my nice quick release wheels since only one was locked to the frame.
Also, I was riding my Bianchi at that time. Now I'm riding my fixie that looks like crap.

Scott Mizee
02-04-2006, 10:41 AM
I worked on the 12th floor of the KOIN tower before moving to the ODS tower with its beloved indoor, key card accessed, bike parking and locker rooms. The locker rooms and weight room facility in the KOIN center were nice, but I really love the bike facilities at the ODS tower.

Regarding your question: If you go across the street towards the river from the KOIN tower, you will see this strange, ugly, concrete, bunker looking thing. That is the entrance to the parking under the KOIN. There is some outdoor, covered bike parking there which I sometimes used. However, I was concerned about security there. Your safest option, in my opinion, is to actually go around the corner to the entrance to the automobile portion of the parking garage. If you go in there, on the right side there is a rack that you can hang your bike on. The thing that makes it safe is that there is a parking attendant/guard there within eyeshot.

If you park it at the "on sidewalk" racks just outside the security station at the main entrance to the KOIN Center, make sure you have a good lock. That is where my Specialized Rockhopper (Not to be confused with Rocktown, Rockjumper, Stumpjumper, or Stumptown) was stolen--lock and all--between 6AM and Noon in August of 2003.

Thats my advice and my story. --oh, and I speak from experience, No-- KOIN management does not like it when you take your bike up the elevator to your cubicle--or wear your rollerblades through the lobby to the locker room. :)

MrBread
02-05-2006, 12:53 AM
If you're ever in a fix, however . . .

I worked at the KOIN Cinemas for several years before they closed, and was riding a pretty nice-looking red cruiser that I biked downtown with on a regular basis. I would leave it locked up at the outside racks on the sw corner for hours, at all odd times of afternoon and night (and, a couple times, overnight), and always found it happily waiting for me, with nary a scratch or missing piece. I'd even leave my light clipped in place.

Just another perspective. I agree about the management, though. They didn't even like it when we would take our garbage down to the loading docks, and access to that was in our lease.

organic brian
02-17-2006, 02:05 PM
Something I never thought of until today when Shift was contacted by a distributor: motorcycle locks / chains. These are about as undefeatable as they come, though this site is apparently for a business in the UK so shipping might be fairly steep. All the prices are in pounds, so, have fun converting to find the cost.
http://elitesecuritysupplies.com/locks_and_chains.htm

Matt P.
02-23-2006, 04:00 PM
I'm quite happy with my bike locker near the US Bancorp Tower, which I've been using for about a year and a half. When I got it, I was told by the city transportation department that none of them have ever been successfully broken into.

That doesn't mean bikes have never been stolen out of them. If you don't make sure that the lock is all the way pushed in, it can spring back open. I was told a number of bikes were stolen in this manner.

I've never had a problem with mine. If you can, get one of the industrial plastic ones that only have a door on one end. The metal ones are divided by a diagonal metal wall so they can fit 2 bikes, so you have a triangular space to park the bike in, which can be annoying. I have to take my crate off the back of the bike now, which I didn't have to do with the old locker.

jwdoom
01-19-2007, 09:17 AM
Has anyone ever used those big clamshell type lockers at some transit centers? The ones that you provide your own lock on?

NEPcyclistic
01-19-2007, 06:10 PM
Something I never thought of until today when Shift was contacted by a distributor: motorcycle locks / chains. These are about as undefeatable as they come, though this site is apparently for a business in the UK so shipping might be fairly steep. All the prices are in pounds, so, have fun converting to find the cost.
http://elitesecuritysupplies.com/locks_and_chains.htm

um, ok. But why pay shipping, and a higher price when you can just stroll down to city bikes and pick up basically the same thing for 90 bucks, or the LBS of your choice.